PDA

View Full Version : Video - Horizontal Light Probe

HenkDawson
09-23-2009, 08:45 AM
A few weeks ago I posted a link to my motion tracking podcast. There were a bunch of questions about how it created the reflection map for the environment. I've created a video on how I made the reflection map - you can see it here:

http://d3d.com/3D/Podcast/Entries/2009/9/22_D3D_Reflection_Device.html

biliousfrog
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
It's hardly a revolutionary concept, you talk like you've invented a way to capture spherical images with a garden ornament...I'm afraid I beat you to it several years ago...after reading about it on a forum...which linked to Paul Debevec's paper on HDR capture and image based lighting from 2001....which came after his Siggraph demonstration in 1998 'Rendering with natural light'.

It's good of you to produce tutorials on your techniques but I'd suggest not to talk like something that's common practice is your idea.

littlewaves
09-23-2009, 09:52 AM
It's hardly a revolutionary concept, you talk like you've invented a way to capture spherical images with a garden ornament...I'm afraid I beat you to it several years ago...after reading about it on a forum...which linked to Paul Debevec's paper on HDR capture and image based lighting from 2001....which came after his Siggraph demonstration in 1998 'Rendering with natural light'.

It's good of you to produce tutorials on your techniques but I'd suggest not to talk like something that's common practice is your idea.

why don't you cry about it?

Thanks Henk

HenkDawson
09-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Yep - light probes have been around for a long time. It would be silly for me to say that I've come up with something new. Sorry if I've made that impression. What I could not find, however is a way to create a reflection map of a dome. That's when I made this thing.

HenkDawson
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
biliousfrog you were so right about how I presented the podcast. I came across as arrogant and misleading. I just re-did the video. I think it communicates more clearly what I had originally intended. Tell me what you think. Thanks for your feedback - Henk