PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and other various software boxes.

Intuition
09-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Thought I would make a big garbage dump of box pics thread of software boxes I have collected over the years starting Aug 1995.

A few of these are not great due to my unsteady hand. The LW 4.0 box will get a reshoot since it is the kewlest box of them all and deserves one.

Lightwave 4.0. Ah yes, the beginning of my time with Lightwave. Shortly before it I was using Crystal Topas, which had a pretty badass bevel tool for text.

It was with great earnest I went to the SGI building in 1995 having saved up around $10,000 and was expecting to leave SGI with a cutting edge computer loaded with Softimage.

The guys at SGI gave me all the coffee and donuts I could handle while showing off thier systems (when the building used to be on Olympic and Bundy).

When they gave me the price estimate sheet for a grand total of nearly $100,000 for the system I had spec'd out I looked at the neat little SGI logo and I swear it said "ha ha" like the kid from the Simpsons.

I left, stomache sinking, thinking that I had better see what this Lightwave/Amiga stuff was about since I knew it wasn't nearly the same cost as an SGI machine. Later that week I saw ads for Lightwave 4.0 coming to PC, in a little local pc/mac print ad software reseller company. I ordered immediately once I saw the price was a fraction of a fraction of an SGI setup.

This was the box that came in the mail.

Intuition
09-22-2009, 09:54 PM
So, With Lighwtave 4.0 being all that and some, I remember seeing Lightwave 5.0 advertised, maybe a year or two later. I didn't really feel like I needed it until I read (openGL textures) at which point I knew I couldn't live without it.

I am sure 5.0 had other features I needed and used once I had it installed but initially I was sold on the basis that it had openGL display of texture maps. Cha Ching. :beerchug:

Intuition
09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
When 5.6 came out I was surprised it was a "paid upgrade". Actually I believe it was 5.5 that was the paid upgrade but I didn't buy until 5.6.

It was a coincidence that a project came up that needed particles. It was a tooth brush commercial and neede plaque coming off teeth the like only hypervoxels could do which was a new feature in 5.5.

Particles that could trace surface or volumes...hmm, ok I am in.

So on that basis I began my journey into doing particle fx in the lightwave world and received this box. Which has had a little wear and tear.

Intuition
09-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Another project that needed teeth and particles came not much after the last one. It was a tooth whitening commercial.

I remember thinking that I was all set with 5.6 and probably didn't need to upgrade to the 6.0-6.5 Lightwave that had come out but I thought I should give it a look and see what the features were in case I needed one.

Well, shortly after a few reads I began thinking "what was this radiosity" stuff everyone had been talking about? What are "area lights" and "soft shadows" that aren't shadow maps?

Dang it, I guess I better give them a whirl and keep up with my competition. So I ordered Lightwave 6. This was the start of "plug-in mania" as I remember getting a few plug-ins for 6. Pics of plugs to come. Radiosity (bg at least) and new lights got used a bit, though they were slow they looked good.

---edit--- time to eat.. will come back and post more later----

shrox
09-22-2009, 11:16 PM
By 1999 the SGI Indigos at Sega were being used as doorstops...

Intuition
09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
By 1999 the SGI Indigos at Sega were being used as doorstops...

Hah, yeah, I must say I would still like to have a Tezro just for the cool case.

http://bsdnetwork.blogsome.com/images/sgi_2.2.jpg

Intuition
09-22-2009, 11:40 PM
So during the tooth whitening gig I knew I needed particles to react a little more controlled then I could get in Lightwave (meaning that maybe you could do it in Lightwave but I wanted an easier plug and play solution).

I ordered Particle Storm 2 from dynamic realities after watching the website demos. I was hoping to get a tooth paste like stickiness from a single line of particles that would be close enough together that I could render surface voxels blended to make a smooth tooth paste like shape. After 10 minutes of reading the manual and playing around I pulled it off. I never did fully exploit particle storm's capabilities and would probably have a lot of fun tinkering around with it today if I could get it working again.

Intuition
09-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Blow up and shatter. Ah, nothing fancier then a 3.5 disc in a jewel case eh?

It does what it says it does. First part happens in modeler and the animation parts are made in layout.

A few other plugs made later did the same thing.

Intuition
09-22-2009, 11:51 PM
I can't remember what it was that prompted me to buy Lightwave 7.

I do remember what gigs I was doing at the time but can't think of a specific feature I needed from Lightwave 7. I do remember trying out cloth fx a bit and a few hardfx as well even though I didn't need them on the projects that year.

I can't remember if it was 6 or 7 where we no longer had to freeze subD models but rather could subD them live and set the subD level in Laoyut to taste. Displacement tricks were showing up alot and making much more photoreal seas/oceans due to displacement.

I do remember needing all the worley plug-ins later that year though. Next post....

Intuition
09-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Worley. A name that is synonymous with Lightwave.

I am not sure if I bought Sasquatch or G2 first but I remeber thinking that G2's previewer was amazing and had hoped that preview rendering would become the norm soon. Later we see the release of F-Prime and Lightwave was at the top of its game.

5 years later we are starting to see interactive preview rendering becoming the norm for other apps as well.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Lightwave 8 came in the mail at the end of the Mars Underground project. Which some of Shrox's models make an appearance in. :D

I mainly used Lightwave 7 and F-Prime for the project but ordered 8 in case.

I installed 8 but did not really use it much until 8.2 or 8.5 when it became more stable.

Again I can't remember a specific feature I needed from the 8 series due to the fact that Lightwave was pretty complete for my needs what with F-Prime, Sas and G2 could do together.

I did alot of TV episodic work in 8. Comet collision, Surface (tv series) with zbrush monsters, Invasion, integration with realflow for some shots. 2004-2005 had quite a few projects and many of them done in Lightwave 8. I'd have to get out my project list from EdenFX to get a complete list.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:10 AM
Will edit this post with Lightwave 9 when I can... ;)

Ben Vost may be sending me my long ago ordered box that never came. I think I may post the reciept here too :D.

Lots of neat stuff from Lightwwave 9. Finally, some new features from the new team. A vision of a new direction for Newtek and Lightwave during the 9 series.

Box shots when they arrive. My friend Stefan Brederock made the rock monster head with the zipper mouth while he was interning at Eden FX. I prompted him to post the test pics and now its on the cover of one of the 9 books. :hey:

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:14 AM
During the Lightwave 7 and 8 cycle we saw the emergence of Zbrush.

I purchased it and quickly realized I was going to want to use it a lot.

It changed the 3d world in a single sculpting stroke and now many apps want to offer at least a lightweight version of mesh sculpting or displacement painting due to Zbrush and pixologic.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Coming back to the topic of Softimage from the initial post.

I had always wanted to work in Softimage and when XSI was in version 4 I downloaded a demo. It was really great to play with somthing I had thought of as unreachable way back nearly 10 years earlier.

Though I had a hard time picking it up at first (due to Lightwave habits) I eventually got comfortable with it. Finally I purchased a copy of 5.11 when the XSI 5 demo showcased the rigid body dynamics. I had to have it. At this point was also my first real attempts at learning mental ray as attempts in maya 5-7 were slow. In XSi 5 the render region acted kind of like f-prime but a bit slower, yet still fast enough I could learn how things worked.

Anyways, this is a Lightwave post but since Softimage was a big Lightwave plug-in for me from 96 onward I am posting it here. Also since Softimage was so far out of my reach at the beginning of it all propting me to get Lightwave I can pretty much thank SGI and SI for propelling me into Lightwave.

Currently I am waiting for my Softimage 2010 box. Here is 5.11 , 6.0, and 7.5.

Until then. :D

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:35 AM
I think modo should get its own post but for now its in this bin. ;D

In this box I have found my modo boxes, still can't find 103 but 202 and 301 are here.

Luxology hits the scene and Hastings and Ferguson return with what turns out to be the most handy modeler I had yet tried. Still my main modeling tool since 1996. It keeps getting better. I have alos used its renderer for a few jobs and it as capable as Vray in almost all aspects with a few exceptions. Yet, modo's own fur system is a bit easier then all others giving it an advantage in the years to come as more animation features get unlocked.

Native LWO read/write make it a nice companion to Lightwave.

Also, Worldbuilder, which was like a more simple but less capable Vue. I used it a few times to do backgrounds and rocks and haven't used it much since. IT actually is really neat and has some nice procedural ways of creating natural looking terrain. Sadly, like particle storm before it, I never fully utilized its feature set. I started a World builder <--> Lightwave tutorial here years ago but never finished it as I realized there would be too many steps once people started using vue it was in the dust bin.

Some various, tutorial dvds and Blochi's HDRI handbook (pages up so you can't see the label) are in this box. An Eden FX demo reel from 2005 when I worked there and had quite a few shots on the main company reel. Ended up staying there till 2008.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Just a couple items. So many boxes to open still. I think we've all seen max and maya boxes ;).

I do have a neat Maya 3.5 demo disc somewhere with the fist that had the maya letters on the knuckles. Also 3dsmax r2 and r3 somewhere too.

Polas never did boxes for his plugs though I have many of them.

Happy digital's hd instace. The list goes on. I'll see what else I can find.

Of mention here is the messiah studio box/dvd case. I bought it as a companion to Lightwave CA but once I had become really comfortable with XSI I ended up not learning messiah all the way. Even rigging and animating in Maya intensively the last year has again furthered my eye from messiah. I know its capable, just haven't had time. It looks back at me saying "We never had a chance".

I keep it in case messiah gets some "must have" feature at which point I'll have an upgrade path.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:47 AM
CORE, hmm. I wonder what the box will look like?

Leaving this post here for editing in 2009-2010? Will I geta box or just a DVD case? Hmm? Mystery.

I wonder if it will have some modeling feature I will need that modo doesn't have. I still jump over to XSI for some modeling and selection features not yet in modo even though overall I like modo's feel better.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh btw, this thread is open to anyone. If you have obscure or not so obscure software boxes from times long gone or even recent, for main software or plug-ins, please post here. ;D I'd like this to be the software boxes and paraphernalia dump.

What I would really find fun would be to get Lightwave 4.0 running again to see how well I could get the render engine to behave with the feature set from that time. Ah, spinning spotlights.

martin.s
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
excellent post, this might make a nice print article...?

BeeVee
09-23-2009, 02:27 PM
LightWiki has had the history page (http://www.lightwiki.com/LightWave_History) updated with some of these shots, thanks Casey!

B

Intuition
09-23-2009, 03:19 PM
I am going to re shoot the inside and back of Lightwave 4.0 later tonight so they are clean. :D

If I installed Lightwave 4.0 could I license it properly with the new usb dongle?

Should be shareware now. :hey:

BeeVee
09-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Only LightWave 6 and onwards support the USB dongle, and in fact only 6.5 and up if you need to reinstall (since the LightWave 6 install disc looks for a parallel port dongle before it will do anything. Once installed it works fine with a USB dongle).

B

The Dommo
09-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Hah, yeah, I must say I would still like to have a Tezro just for the cool case.

http://bsdnetwork.blogsome.com/images/sgi_2.2.jpg

I love the Tezro look, and also the Fuel. Got a couple of O2's for old time's sakes - good lookers too!

Can't wait to see what the new Octane III looks like, with it's 80 cores.... Mmmm me wants one of those :help:

The Dommo
09-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Oh, btw Intuition - I totally hear your draem of having SGI and SoftImage box - it's something I draemt of and got to use for a couple of years myself.

Now you may kind of be able to, with the release of the Octane III with up to 80 cores in the desktop...

Prices start from $8,000, my friend.
:)

The Dommo
09-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Actually I've got a CD somewhere with Inferno installation files on it. From the days before Inferno switched to Linux and PCs, and cost like $1,000,000 ....

No box for it though, and errr, can't share how I got it... :D

shrox
09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I had forgotten about Particle Storm and BlowUp and Shatter. I used them too.

I think you should also add a pic of burned CD with Lightwave 7.5 written in marker...I had one that someone gave me even though I already had a legit version. He got fired a few days later for trading pirate software with other employees.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Addendum... Both the modo and Softimage posts say 96... when I mean 06 as in 2006. That 9 is so close to the zero darn it. ;)

old fashioned d
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
WOW! World Builder 3.5! WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK SOFTWARE THAT WAS!!!!!

Holy moly... I bought that crap when it was 2.0 and I have NEVER used a more worthless software program in my entire 3D career. It was a joke and so were the people that ran the company. I think it started as two Russian programmers then some dude named Don bought them out and made it even worse which I didn't think was possible.

halley
12-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Good Times... got this image off of the web used V4 in the way back. I think I still have it installed on my 3000.

cresshead
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
here we go! :D

cresshead
12-04-2009, 03:22 PM
and some more...

cresshead
12-04-2009, 03:23 PM
and more!

cresshead
12-04-2009, 03:24 PM
and few more...gee this is looking like a fire hazzard!

note the hardest thing here to 'install' is whiskas!

Intuition
12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Haha, man I had max r2 and r3. I can't find the boxes though. :D