PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 Vertex Normal Maps - Broken

Matt
09-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Don't have time to submit as a bug just yet, but it appears vertex normal maps in LightWave don't work correctly.

Each of the objects (floor, end wall and ceiling) in these renders have their own (uniquely named, which I had to do in modo because there is no way to edit the map names in Modeler) vertex normal maps.

But they don't render properly, see attached renders.

Anyone else having these issues?

Matt

Sensei
09-23-2009, 05:23 AM
So Modo is writing LWO which has LW v9.6 Vertex Normal Maps?

monovich
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
has the object been modified at all? seems if you move the vertexes in almost any way (in modeler) the gig is up with vertex maps in 9.6

Matt
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
So Modo is writing LWO which has LW v9.6 Vertex Normal Maps?

Yes

has the object been modified at all? seems if you move the vertexes in almost any way (in modeler) the gig is up with vertex maps in 9.6

No changes, but I had to rename the vertex map in modo otherwise they are all the same name, despite being different objects.

Sensei
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Is that Modo version that you're using released after 20 January 2009 (release date of LW v9.6)?

LW v9.6 Vertex Normal Maps were never documented in LWSDK, so if Modo really supports it, it had to be reverse engineered by Luxology programmer..

No changes, but I had to rename the vertex map in modo otherwise they are all the same name, despite being different objects.

Then try merging it to just one normal vertex map in Modo..

Matt
09-23-2009, 06:26 PM
I dunno, all I know is they are there in the LWO model when I load it in.

They are separate objects, I need them this way (basically too big to edit if all together).

precedia
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
I dunno, all I know is they are there in the LWO model when I load it in.

Matt,

I am going to demonstrate my ignorance here. To date when I have been working in Modo (3.x, haven't upgraded to 4 yet) with normal maps I always bake the normal to a file and then manually configure the surface in LightWave to use a NormalMap node connected to the normal of the surface (see attached image).

Nothing ever seems to get moved over automatically for me from Modo to LightWave in terms of normal maps, especially not using Nodes in the node editor.

Attached is a sample Modo scene file and the associated LightWave file. I created the normal map in Modo following Brad's tutorial.

http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=13124

Once configured with the NormalMap node I haven't had any render errors yet.

Am I misunderstanding your configuration or issue? I'm naively assuming that my use of the phrase "normal map" and your use of the phrase "vertex normal map" are synonymous? Or are they different animals?

Daniel

Matt
09-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Yes, we're talking about different things, vertex normal maps store smoothing information, normal maps store XYZ coordinate information as RGB.

precedia
09-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes, we're talking about different things, vertex normal maps store smoothing information, normal maps store XYZ coordinate information as RGB.

I thought as much.

Out of curiosity, where are vertex normal maps specified in Modo and in LightWave?

I'll need to read up on them; searching shows some folks using the terms interchangeably on occasion(?).

Daniel

precedia
09-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Never mind, I see it now. In Modo select new map and there is a drop down for a "vertex normal map." Time to read the Modo documentation.

And LightWave's as well on where this beast is supported.

Learning new things all the time.