PDA

View Full Version : Staying sharp

Beejs
09-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Do any of you have a routine for staying fresh when between projects?

I do maybe 5 LW projects a year for clients and at the end of each one I finally feel like I'm getting my LW "legs" back...you know, left hand flying over the keyboard hitting all the right shortcuts, right hand coaxing that mouse to quickly find just the right tool.

But at the beginning of each, I feel like a slug, barely able to recall even basic navigation shortcuts.

I am starting to put together a practice routine for keeping my chops up, but wanted to hear from anyone who has already developed something they like...or am I the only one with memory problems?

AdamAvenali
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
i have had the same problem since starting my new job. we use maya at work, but i own lightwave at home. i found myself losing my lightwave skills after working for a couple months solely in maya. i have since started participating in the speed modeling challenges here to keep all of my lightwave shortcuts and tools firmly embedded in my memory :thumbsup:

Beejs
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
... i have since starting participating in the speed modeling challenges here to keep all of my lightwave shortcuts and tools firmly embedded in my memory :thumbsup:

Good idea, Adam. Although, as a one man shop, I am wondering about something that is perhaps more of a routine, sort of like exercising, and that keeps all my skills somewhat ready to go, not just modeling, but lighting, surfacing, animating, rendering, etc.

And I know how much I don't like mindless practicing, so I'm only talking about 15 minutes a day or so. Maybe it's as simple as opening up Modeler and Layout and slamming together a different scene quickly, but I'm still curious about other routines.

AdamAvenali
09-22-2009, 09:35 AM
the term 'speed modeling' is actually kind of a misnomer. most challenges usually give you an hour to model and then however much time you need to surface, texture, light and render. so, it really is the whole package. and if you want to spend less time on it, that is your call as well. even if you were not to actually participate in the challenge, you could at least look to that week's current topic for a theme and use that however you like. some of the theme's are very interesting.

feel free to check out some of the work that has been done in previous challenges: Listing of Previous Challenges (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89283)

AdamAvenali
09-22-2009, 09:40 AM
there is also this thread that is starting to become a great place for seeing the quality of the challenges: Free Speed Models (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465)

and for animating there is The 11 Second Club (http://www.11secondclub.com/)

again, you wouldnt have to actually participate in the challenge, but use the competitions guidelines and work on it on your own :thumbsup:

Beejs
09-22-2009, 10:26 AM
...you wouldnt have to actually participate in the challenge, but use the competitions guidelines and work on it on your own :thumbsup:

Great thoughts, I'll check them out. Thanks!

JeffrySG
09-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Ya, I'd recommend the speed modeling challenges as well. Remember you could always go ahead and do small animations on your speed models if you wanted.