PDA

View Full Version : LWO export for Softimage?

IMI
09-22-2009, 06:46 AM
I know that Softimage imports LWO objects through Point Oven, but I'm having a problem with that.
Using the Softimage 2010 trial, it will import my LWO object just fine, but it comes in with all the part groups gone missing.

That is to say, it comes in as one solid object all merged into one, even though the object in Modeler has many parts assigned, as well as corresponding point selection sets for each part.

I know alot of people here use LW with Softimage and so I'm wondering - am I doing something wrong, or is that just the way it is? The file in question is a room filled with objects, but all in one layer.

I see that after doing a test, objects in separate layers in the LWO file are seen as separate objects in SI, but that seems to be the only way that I can see to get them apart.

I exported it all as OBJ, and importing that into SI gave me everything as separate parts, but everything is also smoothed way too much.

So I'm guessing I have one of two time-consuming options here:
1 - Take every one of my objects and give it a separate layer before saving out the LWO object.
2- Use the OBJ import in Softimage and adjust the unacceptable smoothing for each object individually.

Either option will take a looonnngggg time, because there are hundreds of objects...

Anything else I can try?

EDIT:
Collada and FBX exports produce the same results as the LWO object.

IMI
09-22-2009, 07:26 AM
Hmmm...
I guess it doesn't matter which way I do it, as it seems I get the wrong smoothing for LWO Point Oven import as well.

Intuition
09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh hey IMI,
Missed this post. I need to understand what you mean by smoothing?

Do you mean that the objects' polygons in Softimage are being smoothed in openGL?

I've done quite a bit of back and forth (in all the apps) so I'll help if I can.

I often use FBX to get from LW to XSI if its an assembly of different object meshes. Works pretty well.

IMI
09-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi KC,

I saw your (totally kewl) thread on all the LW boxes and read that story about you thinking you were going to buy a Softimage workstation in '95 for $10,000, and thought, now *this* is the guy I need to ask about this. :)

No, not smoothing of the normals or anything like that, but just the type of smoothing like LW does in the surface editor.
In LW you can get rid of that on hard surface objects by lowering it to around 16-22% or so, or not using it at all.
In Softimage apparently you have to go into "Geometry Approximation" and deal with it there, which is fine, and which is what I have done.

I tried exporting from LW as FBX though and as I said, it gave the same results as the LWO export - all part groups gone - at least not anywhere to be seen in the Scene Explorer, and when I click on any part of the object it selects the entire thing.

I got my current object all taken care of by creating a separate layer in LW for each part and then importing that via Point Oven, but it took a long time for me to split it up like that, so if there's a way to avoid that in the future I'd love to know.

Thanks. :)

Intuition
09-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Hmm? Yeah I use fbx a lot and it always keeps objects separate for me.

I mean, you usually will get a result where it creates a top scene null which contains the individual meshes parented underneath.

When I get home I'll do a test scene. I would do it here at work but I am in linux and am waiting for a render.

I was going to suggest the "geometry approximation" but it looks like you found it already.

As opposed to the tabs that Lightwave has in its object properties, SI uses the tree view in the explorer which has much of the same info just arranged differently.

FBX has a few options on export/import. You may want to check each one to make sure it isn't merging the layers into one object.

Of course the other variable here is that you are using 2010 which I haven't tried yet. I recieved an email from Autodesk subscription saying my download was ready. I wonder if 2010 has an import bug?

Pooby used to do vids on fbx from Lightwave. Maybe he can chime in if he's tested 2010.

3D Kiwi
09-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Pointoven in SI respects layers in modeler, so if you have 10 objects in one lwo, and each of them are in there own layers then SI will import them as 10 seperate objects and place them under a null (or model in SI).

If they are all on the same layer then SI will see them as one object.

As far as point selection sets etc, i dont think they are seen by pointoven.

Hope this helps

IMI
09-24-2009, 02:28 AM
FBX has a few options on export/import. You may want to check each one to make sure it isn't merging the layers into one object.

Of course the other variable here is that you are using 2010 which I haven't tried yet. I recieved an email from Autodesk subscription saying my download was ready. I wonder if 2010 has an import bug?

Ahh well that's the problem.
Both FBX and LWO -> Point Oven work fine with objects with layers. But I was wondering why in the absence of layers, the object groupings are all merged together.
I guess it's not a big deal though now that I know what to do. I'll just have to keep my objects in layers.
What bugs me is this model I made was an entire room, filled with furniture and knick-knacks and paintings and all kinds of stuff. And each object was *originally* in its own layer, but I collapsed it all into one layer. I figured since each object had a part assigned to it, no problem.
And then I overwrote the file....
So what I essentially had to do then was split it all back up the way it had originally been.
There's a lot positive to be said for incremental save in Modeler. ;)

No, I don't think it's an import bug, just me not yet fully understanding how Softimage deals with objects. But now that I know what to do, it's a non-issue.

3D Kiwi
09-24-2009, 04:03 AM
there are a couple of ways you could also split it up in SI to save you going back to LW all the time.

One is to use poly island select and then use the extract poly tool

Also when a lwo comes into SI with different surfaces on it, they are added to the object under clusters in SI so you could use that to select the polys and extract as well.

When they come into SI they usally come in as Layer_0, Layer_1 etc. so if you learnt a simple forloop in SI you could automate it.

IMI
09-24-2009, 04:33 AM
Thank you, 3D Kiwi, I'll look into what you're talking about. :)