PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX- can't reload scene

chazzpa
09-22-2009, 06:22 AM
I created a scene of a flock of bats with the camera flying with them down an alley. I shot background plate using steadycam and speeded it up. The bats nearest the camera (8 of them) have FiberFX applied as a pixel filter to a surface covering the body. The scene is built by importing from a looping "batflap" scene and attaching these to nulls the fly through the scene. "Shadow catchers" are used to cast shadows on the walls etc. This is done in Post. When I tried to open the scene after a first render, Layout did not respond and I had to force quit. The 500 frame scene takes about 20 Hrs to render on a dual 2.5GHz Mac with 3Gbs of ram. The activity monitor shows the processors going crazy (99%) until Layout stops responding. I had saved a previous scene with FiberFX applied so I can go back and apply the settings again to the 8 bats near the camera.

Hieron
09-22-2009, 07:06 AM
I haven't used FFX in a while now, since the last time I was quite close to a mental breakdown :)

Save your scene, save it often, save it incrementally. It does not take that much space, just clutters a bit. But may save you *alot* of time while trying to dodge FFX issues.

It shows great promise, but I will wait a bit before trying again.

chazzpa
09-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Yer I use to use Sasquash Lite but I can only have 3 instances. I also discovered that Sasquash conflicted with FibreFx so took Sasquash out for this job. I am trying a geometry version of FFX because the bats are deformed using a bone structure, so the fur might look better. One problem might be too deep a parenting structure. I have :
a scene with a bat with 15 bones, a goal for each wing and The head bone is the parent of all bones.
Then there is a null that is parent of everything in that scene.
In the flying scene, a load from scene is performed to bring in the flapping Bat.
This is then parented to a one of several flying nulls (derived from flocking)
With the POV scene I only need about 8 Bats to have fur but LW is really struggling. I sripped this scene down to 20 Bats total. All of these Have IK going on, but only 8 have fur. Maybe I will have to bake the IK?

SplineGod
09-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Id either use saslite or get the full version. I would also think about using geometry with texture maps for some bats and sas for any that get close to the camera.IK shouldnt cause any problems though you can get a considerable speedup by mdscanning a bat and using that mdd file on the others. Dpont has a node where you can easily change the speed of the flap cycle on each clone of your bat.

jasonwestmas
09-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Though I've been able to get better looking Long Hair with FFX, Sasquatch is cheaper now and it works better for Shorter Fur. I would buy sasquatch again in a second.

chazzpa
09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your advice. I particularly like the idea of changing the flap speeds of each bat. I offset the frames 2, 4, 6 frs in a random pattern but this is more subtle. I have had to rush this through to get it done for this weekend but Sasquash looks like the way forward for this sort of thing. On a completely separate issue, thanks Larry for tutorials. I was looking at how to grow vines for another project I have on the back burner and now I have found out how to do it.