PDA

View Full Version : cloning lights..oh the pain...!

cresshead
09-19-2009, 01:36 PM
i created a spot light and cloned it 16 times..which is 1 operation...
but when i came to want to clone those 16 it just clones the first selected light just got cloned...as you may tell i don't go around making tons of lights usually but this was for a tall mast..

in another app i just multi select and copy/paste or shift plus drag...
back in lightsnack i had to clone each light...16 MORE operations..GRRR!

i even added a null an parented them to it to try out copy hyreichey [spell?] but it just popped up a no bones error...
well that was a stupid idea then huh?

Core..please arrive soon!:D

also while we're at it..
the camera lens mm setting...
why is it when you use the envelope to add an animated zoom it doesn't/can't display the lens size in mm in the graph editor...

also hoping the preview render dialoge in Core get to SEE the actual frame rendering out and no a generic 640x480...

okay..B & moan over....:D

RebelHill
09-19-2009, 01:56 PM
there 2 copy hierarchy tools... copy hierarchy, which works jsut on bones, and clone hierarchy, which works for everything else.

toby
09-19-2009, 02:01 PM
but when i came to want to clone those 16 it just clones the first selected light just got cloned...as you may tell i don't go around making tons of lights usually but this was for a tall mast..

in another app i just multi select and copy/paste or shift plus drag...
back in lightsnack i had to clone each light...16 MORE operations..GRRR!

i even added a null an parented them to it to try out copy hyreichey [spell?] but it just popped up a no bones error...
well that was a stupid idea then huh?

Core..please arrive soon!:D

also while we're at it..
the camera lens mm setting...
why is it when you use the envelope to add an animated zoom it doesn't/can't display the lens size in mm in the graph editor...

also hoping the preview render dialoge in Core get to SEE the actual frame rendering out and no a generic 640x480...

okay..B & moan over....:D
Look for the 'clone' hierarchy command. Does just what you wanted. For more complex stuff, save the lights and do load-from-scene.

Speaking of which, I'm using that 'other' program on a job right now, can you tell me how I can view my hierarchies? If there's anything like the scene editor with hierarchies I'd be grateful...

cresshead
09-19-2009, 02:02 PM
there 2 copy hierarchy tools... copy hierarchy, which works jsut on bones, and clone hierarchy, which works for everything else.

found it...

thanks for the hint!

...okay found it...was in the new scene editor [not classic] waaay down AFTER the heirachy section....
well that makes sense HUH!
really..not impressed with some bits of lightwave AT ALL!

gets listed nr the bottom of ADD...brilliant!
...oh well too late i manually cloned them with classic scene editor 40 mins ago...
still it's there just put in a dumb place.

toby
09-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Search "clonehierarchy" in the menu config window -

cresshead
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Look for the 'clone' hierarchy command. Does just what you wanted. For more complex stuff, save the lights and do load-from-scene.

Speaking of which, I'm using that 'other' program on a job right now, can you tell me how I can view my hierarchies? If there's anything like the scene editor with hierarchies I'd be grateful...

THAT 'other' app rhymes with WAX?:D

one option is schematic view...just select a viewport and change it to schematic view...much like lightwave actually :thumbsup:

or use trackview for your selected objects, shapes, lights, bones etc and then just use the filter to show heirachy only if that's all you want displayed.

cresshead
09-19-2009, 02:30 PM
btw i can totally SEE why newtek elected to create a new app..some things i don't do often in lightwave [50lights clones and placed..then copied again...] are doable but not easy if your hunting down such a tool....just think there's no copy/paste in layout that works on ANYTHING..we have tools to copy/clone that only work on specific item types...

to copy/paste/duplicateclone is a BASIC edti item...that should be found under the edit menu...not buried in a huge drop down list oinly visibale in 1 of 2 scene editors!....really funny actually!... what were they thinking when they placed it waaay down there!
a game of hide n seek maybe!

toby
09-19-2009, 03:14 PM
THAT 'other' app rhymes with WAX?:D

one option is schematic view...just select a viewport and change it to schematic view...much like lightwave actually :thumbsup:

or use trackview for your selected objects, shapes, lights, bones etc and then just use the filter to show heirachy only if that's all you want displayed.
Whew! Thank you. Can I pm you with stupid questions from time to time? :D

cresshead
09-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Whew! Thank you. Can I pm you with stupid questions from time to time? :D

sure!...as long as i can pm you some stupid questions on lightwave occasionally too! :D

toby
09-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Fo' shizzle. I know where all the "make cool" buttons are.

Mr Rid
09-19-2009, 10:32 PM
but when i came to want to clone those 16 it just clones the first selected light just got cloned.......:D

Old school method- 'load from scene' your 16 lights. :D

toby
09-19-2009, 10:39 PM

hope that didn't sound arrogant, couldn't think of a better joke :^P

Silkrooster
09-19-2009, 11:16 PM
hope that didn't sound arrogant, couldn't think of a better joke :^P

Hey I thought it was kind a cool...:D

cresshead
09-20-2009, 02:27 AM
Old school method- 'load from scene' your 16 lights. :D

yeah that would work!
my 'thing' here is for such a basic requirement...the 'multiple selected copy' command it's just bizzare that there's a hidden 'tool' that will do it 'IF' you parent the lights to a null...and a load from scene workaround to get the job done
....really..this single thing show how 'old' and restrictive the SDK must have been.
things like copy and undo should be no brainers in 2009.

Core is going to be SO refreshing! :)

cresshead
09-20-2009, 02:44 AM

:cat: cool!
i have used lightwave for quite a while [got in in 2002] but don't go everywhere in it...so there's some dark corners i've never been in yet!...and with using 3dsmax, zbrush as well...well there's always more to learnn in each app!

Cageman
09-20-2009, 03:19 AM
It's DEAD SIMPLE to clone multiple items at the same time... just select all items and use CTRL+C...

Video (http://hangar18.gotdns.org/~cageman/lightwave_clone_many_at_once/Clone_many_at_once.mp4) 4.74MB

cresshead
09-20-2009, 03:36 AM
It's DEAD SIMPLE to clone multiple items at the same time... just select all items and use CTRL+C...

Video (http://hangar18.gotdns.org/~cageman/lightwave_clone_many_at_once/Clone_many_at_once.mp4) 4.74MB

stupid 'me' was trying to use the CLONE command...which is what?
useless!...clone can ONLY clone 1 selected item...
it SHOULD either have a warning/note popup or it should WORK properly!

hey thanks!...sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees!:thumbsup:

after cloning the origional light 16 for clones and placing it along the mast...i thought...just clone them again...

ha ha...newtek he say NO!..

that's when all i could see 'trees'...and no wood!...
well more like red mist!:devil:

..must have had my "every other app head on"...
I should have put my newtek's wacky way head on eh?

:lol:

Cageman
09-20-2009, 04:00 AM
You are spot on why NT are developing a new app called CORE and you have also witnessed one of the reasons why classic LW would take forever to re-write from scratch....

:)

cresshead
09-20-2009, 04:03 AM
....okay with all the 'head' references.
...if your old enough you'll know what i mean with this!...
if not research worzel gummage!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77508&d=1253440982

toby
09-20-2009, 11:19 AM

!!!

When did they add that?!
See, cress? You don't want to ask ME stupid questions, my brain is infected with WAX ;D

cresshead
09-20-2009, 11:24 AM
!!!

When did they add that?!
See, cress? You don't want to ask ME stupid questions, my brain is infected with WAX ;D

yeah the SOONER core gets out n about for 'production use' even basic use i'll be skipping and a bouncing [like tigger] around the house!:D

i have ZERO interest in in lightwave HC need to 'let go of the past'...i just want Core!

Cageman
09-20-2009, 12:10 PM
!!!

When did they add that?!

Sometime during LightWave 8.x

dwburman
09-22-2009, 10:36 AM
The 'Clone Hierarchy' command can also be found (not buried) on the Items Tab in the 'Add' section between 'Clone' and 'Mirror'. NT might've thought that people would stop using the Classic Scene Editor and didn't bother adding the new functions to its interface.

When I have to place a whole lot of lights in specific places I usually make polygons in those locations and make them into luxigons.

dwburman
09-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I put a tutorial together showing how to use the luxigons feature to place a lot of lights quickly and easily.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=929308#post929308