PDA

View Full Version : Guides and Cages

david_scotland
09-19-2009, 03:33 AM
I notice a lot of the heavyweight modellers here don't like Guides and Cages in Sub-d mode and prefer to turn them off. Does anyone actually think they are useful and if so why?

zardoz
09-19-2009, 03:51 AM
I am one of those who doesn't use them at all, but in the beginning I did. When you get used to model in subds they only get in the way.
Maybe cages might be useful to check how bad is the unsubd mesh.

borkus
09-19-2009, 10:09 AM
With a simple button press, I can go back and forth. So, I haven't used either in a long time. They do get in the way and make modelling difficult as the mesh becomes more complicated.

Skonk
09-19-2009, 03:40 PM
The type of option which should be turned off by default IMO, bit like the "Hide File Extentions of Known File Types" in Windows (why the hell would they think this is a good option to have on by default?).

hrgiger
09-19-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't use cages. I generally turn cages, guides, and normals off. I like a clean view of the mesh.

Silkrooster
09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
There are times when even the grid gets in the way.

hrgiger
09-20-2009, 10:16 AM
There are times when even the grid gets in the way.

Oh yes, forgot about the gird. I usually leave the grid on in the ortho viewports but turn it off in the perspective view and just leave the origin.

AdamAvenali
09-20-2009, 10:28 AM
my default setup looks like this:

probiner
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
I also use no Origin lately Adam. But i find myself sometimes a bit lost without it :P

Where you have dark grey i have Teal Blue. But i might consider that Dark Grey =)

I use polys normal tough. Painted Selection is going to be nice.

The side panels i picked from JeffrySG's videos. So there's not so much pop-ups in front of the subject. In Layout it will take 2 screens for that.

My UV viewport is on Top or Right view when needed.

Cheers

AdamAvenali
09-20-2009, 11:05 AM
i really like the contrast that i get when i use the dark grey. i also set the default material to white for easier visibility as well.

i also use the upper left window for my UV when necessary.

when i start a model it is usually in the orthographic viewports with some sort of reference image in the background. by the time i move to the perspective window, the model is pretty well blocked out, therefore i dont usually need the origin :)

here's a screenshot with a little bit more of a normal workflow than the lonely cube i posted earlier haha

p.s. the model looks less blobbly and round when the zbrush dispacement and bump are applied haha