PDA

View Full Version : Adding a point to existing poly

Beerbaron
09-18-2009, 11:15 AM
I am working on a logo, and I need to add a point to an existing poly. I am trying to use "Add Point" but I am getting no joy. Sometimes it seems to work and other times it just doesn't, so I am evidently missing something. It would be a point between two points on a flat poly that has a lot of points already. Thanks!

dee
09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Select the edge where you want the new point, press "l" or click Connect in the Construct tab.

Castius
09-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Make sure you have no points selected.

If you have point selected when you use add point. It will snap the new point to that selection. Nothing will happening If the points selected is on the same edge of that polygon selected.

Beerbaron
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Select the edge where you want the new point, press "l" or click Connect in the Construct tab.Thanks, that seems to do the trick! Yeah, "connect". So intuitive. Anyway, getting there! Thanks a lot.

art
09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
You can also try this tool (PC only) if you need to add more than 1 point per edge:

http://artssphere.com/plugins/divideedge.php

JeffrySG
09-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Also, if you select two points on a line you can then choose 'divide' (multiply - subdivide - divide) and it will place a new point at the midpoint. I like this method because you can stay in point mode to move the new point if needed.

biliousfrog
09-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Some nice tips there...I just use the knife tool and delete the extra points.

I agree that 'connect' is a stupid name for a tool that 'splits' but this is the company that brought 'sock monkey' (still don't know what that is) and 'Untangle' which converts shapes to a circle. I assume the stupid names are because they've got around 10 tools that all do the same thing and they've run out of sensible names for them.

Hieron
09-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Dang I didn't know all this.. :|
Sure is alot easier than how I added edges before...

Perhaps I should read the manual one day :)

Myagi
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
I am working on a logo, and I need to add a point to an existing poly. I am trying to use "Add Point" but I am getting no joy. Sometimes it seems to work and other times it just doesn't, so I am evidently missing something. It would be a point between two points on a flat poly that has a lot of points already. Thanks!

I'm no expert, but when using "Add Points" you need to make sure that the poly(s) in question is selected, then you also need to aim with the + part of the cursor over the edge. If you already did that then just ignore me :)

(edit: aside from the point selection thing Castius mentioned)