PDA

View Full Version : Random polygons won't render

Brian Dumas
09-18-2009, 10:34 AM
No luck searching for this so please bear with me if this is redundant.

I'm running LW 8.5 on a Mac 10.5.8, armed with the 2x3 Quad Intel.

Occasionally when rendering an object with a UV map, LW will leave some polys or whole swathes of them unrendered.

Example, I have a cereal box with an image mapped to it. When I render the frame I have most of the image but a bar (let's say it's 1cm wide) of bare model running across the entire face of the box. If I give the scene to my coworker to render it turns out fine. The same applies to my coworker; they have a scene that won't render properly, they give it to me to render.

Now the tough part; due to reorganizations within the company I'm the only one in the department with LW on my machine, so I no longer have anyone to pass the file to for rendering.

What can I do to overcome this bug?

BeeVee
09-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Picture please?

B

Brian Dumas
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Picture please?

B

I've attached an image of the package and the finished rendering. There is a line running across the chin of the figure in the illustration. The affected portion of the package is a single solid with no polygons or points in the affected area.

This is from a previous rendering, unfortunately I can't post the one I'm working on right now since it's for an unreleased product.
The current model has multiple streaks running through it and each one is picking up a random color from the image.

BeeVee
09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
And that's a single UV for that "headstone" polygon? And why are the bottom corners of said poly rounded?

B

Brian Dumas
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
And that's a single UV for that "headstone" polygon? And why are the bottom corners of said poly rounded?

B

It is a single UV, it's actually a single UV for the entire package.

The corners are rounded because the 3D model is built using the package design file. The fewer steps from package dieline to mocked up 3D model, the better.

sublimationman
09-21-2009, 07:15 PM
My guess would be you have an overlapping poly or something. You want to upload the model so we can examine it?

Just the model, should not need the image

Brian Dumas
09-22-2009, 09:10 AM
My guess would be you have an overlapping poly or something. You want to upload the model so we can examine it?

Just the model, should not need the image

Here it is.

Thanks for your help.

sublimationman
09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
While I see 2 non planer polys they are not in a critical location and not near the problem your having. I just mapped a jpg to the back using planer mapping and it works.

Would probably have to see the rest of the scene with maps to figure it out unless anyone else has an idea.

BeeVee
09-22-2009, 01:34 PM
It looks like the backplane "tombstone" part of the UV map is actually three polys, and you should separate them in the UV map to see if that makes a difference.

B

sublimationman
09-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Went back and cubic mapped 1 image on the whole thing and it still looks ok.

BeeVee
09-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Your experiments make me think even more that the problem is down to the UV map.

B

Brian Dumas
09-22-2009, 03:42 PM
A given set of this product has roughly 70-90 components that I build in LW (different configurations and different languages), they are all built the same way and usually within a few days of one another. There is only ever a problem with one or two of the renderings.

How does LW decide which ones to choke on?

I've tried merging points to make sure I didn't have some open polygons or stray points hanging around somewhere, I've tried changing the UV's format and swapping it out for something that isn't even part of this project, all to no avail.

Like I mentioned, handing it off to someone else to render was always the fix in the past. I don't have that option anymore so there must be another way for me to overcome this glitch.

I'd rather not resort to rebuilding the model from the ground up since having to do anything twice tends to eat into my productivity.

toby
09-23-2009, 12:34 AM
Try not to model a single polygon with so many points. Quads are the best. Try subdividing the poly (without making tri's if you can), try turning off smoothing.

Brian Dumas
09-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Try not to model a single polygon with so many points. Quads are the best. Try subdividing the poly (without making tri's if you can), try turning off smoothing.

Smoothing was never turned on.

Subdividing did the trick. I ran the Julienne operation on the backflap and bingo.
Now lessee if I can get it to work on the new project.

Thanks for the help.:thumbsup:

toby
09-23-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif

dwburman
09-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think tris should be a problem unless it's a sub-D object.

toby
09-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Quads are still the best, they're better for smoothing for the same reason they're better for subd's

Sensei
09-26-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm running LW 8.5 on a Mac 10.5.8, armed with the 2x3 Quad Intel.

BTW, are you aware that you're running LightWave at slow gear because of using CFM application on Intel machine? If you will install LW v9.6 UB version, and press F9, you will see what I mean.. ;)

BeeVee
09-28-2009, 01:51 PM
If he has LightWave 9. LightWave 8 didn't have a UB version.

B