PDA

View Full Version : A CLEAR CLEAR CLEAR FBX solution? PLEASE?!

Scott C. Zupek
09-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Okay I am by no means a Pro. I am one of those people that can't decide the many millions of paths to take, but when I purchase something (such as Lightwave from version 7.5 to 9.0) (havent installe 9.5 or 9.6 yet) I expect the darn product to work!:2guns:

END RANT

Okay, so since I am getting into 3D Gaming and programming I need to IMPORT and EXPORT proper FBX files. I already have a model that came with the tutorial and I need it to import JUST LIKE IT SHOULD and JUST LIKE IT RENDERS through the gaming engine.

I have searched high and low for a SOLID solution for importing FBX files in LW and I CANT FIND SHEEEEEEIT! I dont have Softimage, nor Maya (and yes I tried their plugin... fail, i ended up with a model that had an arm coming out of its arse) nor any other program. I purchased LW because it was a complete package. After all these versions, including a complete core re-write, why is there no solid FBX Import/Export option? Where can I get a solid import/export plug-in (I am not paying for core because thus far LW is failing me)? One that takes bones, textures, weightmaps or whatever god else is supposed to copy over?

PS I dont (and as a customer, shouldn't have to) wanna have to dick around with the model. IMPORT the FBX model (keyframed if necesarry) and stick the model at 0,0,0. Whats the problem?

Scott C. Zupek
09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Seriously 40 viewers and not one of them know what LW Only users are supposed to do about FBX files?

UnCommonGrafx
09-17-2009, 12:08 PM
You can help yourself immensely by sharing a link of some sort to the fbx file you are speaking.

Short of that, describe what's not happening for you that should be.

BeeVee
09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
And also, an aversion to installing the free update to 9.6 means that you are crippling yourself with an FBX importer that is not the best that LightWave currently does.

B

shrox
09-17-2009, 02:31 PM
And also, an aversion to installing the free update to 9.6 means that you are crippling yourself with an FBX importer that is not the best that LightWave currently does.

B

I concur.

Scott C. Zupek
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Response from Autodesk regarding the issue
----- response below -----
Lightwave Core ships with an FBX importer, along with direct support for COLLADA. I can understand why you might not be able to purchase that version, so I’ll give you a solution that you can work with immediately. We still host older versions of our plug-ins on our corporate website; they’re located in the archives section. Here’s how you get there:

- Visit www.autodesk.com/fbx

- Click the Downloads link on the left

- Then click the first link that appears: FBX Plug-ins, Converter, and QuickTime Viewer Download

- You’ll see a list of our 2010.2 plug-ins for Autodesk applications like 3ds Max and Maya – at the bottom of the page, click Plug-in and Converter Archives

- The latest version that Autodesk supported Lightwave was Lightwave version 8.0 and 8.2 with FBX version 2005.08; click that version

- You find a plug-in named, fbx200508_lw80_macos.pkg.sit

- That’s your version

Now, you need to also pay attention to what version the FBX files are, before straight-ahead importing everything into Lightwave 8.0. Again. That FBX importer is version 2005.08. To get the best compatibility, the FBX file should be exported from its original version to FBX file version 2005.08 (our latest FBX exporters, FBX 2010.2, provide this capability in the UI). If you cannot do this, that’s when you should be using the FBX Converter to your advantage. We’re aware of certain OBJ conversion limitations, on a side note, but if you wish to share your example file, we can have a look at the conversion issues and fix them in later versions of our FBX Converter. If you show us the defects, we can fix them; we just need to be aware of what our clients like yourself are running into. Therefore, download our latest FBX Converter (Version 2010.2 available on the same website linked above), so it can read the latest FBX file versions. With the FBX Converter, simply convert the FBX file from its original version (which should identify itself in the UI) to FBX200508_MB70 (Autodesk). Everything should import correctly, if you follow those steps. Of course, do let me know if otherwise.

Just a small explanation: After we released 2005.08, Lightwave and Autodesk agreed upon handing over the ownership of the plug-ins to their development team. They have full access to our FBX Software Development Kit and it’s now up to them to decide in which versions they provide their latest developed FBX plug-ins.

Also, the FBX Converter converts FBX files to COLLADA, so you can try that method with Lightwave as well, if your 8.0 version supports COLLADA. I would follow my provided steps above first, however, as it’s your best method going forward.

I hope this helps with your issues in importing FBX files. Let me know what happens on your end. And I do recognize that you’re a Lightwave-only user, which is one of the reasons why we continue furthering the development of the FBX file format. We want to make sure that Autodesk and non-Autodesk application users can share data between themselves using a format that we fully back up and support.

Thanks,

name removed | QA LEAD

.FBX TECHNOLOGIES GROUP.

AUTODESK®

MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT

10 Duke, Montréal QC, Canada H3C 2L7

Sekhar
09-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Actually, FBX isn't great in 9.6 either, at least per my tests. I'm on a Unity project now, and I've been struggling to move FBX game objects in/out. Something always breaks. I've tried different formats: FBX, OBJ, 3DS; and I've tried different tools: Deep Exploration, AD FBX Converter.

One workable flow (which is what I'm using now) is import the game objects to LW as 3DS and export as FBX, copying out the textures separately. The UVs also go across fine, and I'm able to import into Unity fine.

As a trivial example, try this. Create a cube, make a few changes like add a spec value and set smoothing. Export as FBX and import it back. The spec and smoothing will be gone.

Scott, IMO you'll need to work around your issues on a case/case basis (what kind of content, what app, etc.). Search on these forums and you'll find useful pointers.

shrox
09-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Actually, FBX isn't great in 9.6 either, at least per my tests. I'm on a Unity project now, and I've been struggling to move FBX game objects in/out. Something always breaks. I've tried different formats: FBX, OBJ, 3DS; and I've tried different tools: Deep Exploration, AD FBX Converter.

One workable flow (which is what I'm using now) is import the game objects to LW as 3DS and export as FBX, copying out the textures separately. The UVs also go across fine, and I'm able to import into Unity fine.

As a trivial example, try this. Create a cube, make a few changes like add a spec value and set smoothing. Export as FBX and import it back. The spec and smoothing will be gone.

Scott, IMO you'll need to work around your issues on a case/case basis (what kind of content, what app, etc.). Search on these forums and you'll find useful pointers.

I was doing a Unity project a few months ago, and having Maya available did help with getting usable FBX files. My problem was getting the pivot points to be where they should be, and bones was a disaster.

Scott C. Zupek
09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Well AD logged the bug in their latest version and they want to know if their work around works. So it sounds like converting the FBX file to its original format and then going to OBJ from the archived version for LW 9.0 may work fine.

I've read everywhere that LW 9.6's FBX support kind of blows. Attached is the small little FBX file if you all want to play around with it.

colkai
09-18-2009, 02:18 AM
A lot depends on which version of FBX you are using.
Unfortunately, I only have MB5.5 which means the 9.6 FBX plugin does not play nice, I still use the "old" fbxlw80.p plugin and import / export.

The built in one for 9.6 just moves the bones but drags the object along in a T-Pose or shrinks it to some silly size.
Don't forget Animeeple too for mocap.

Truth is FBX has so many variations, I don't think there truly is a simple "load and use" alternative for every mocap file, certainly, the files I've dealt with are not consistent.

RebelHill
09-18-2009, 03:33 AM
it opens fine for me with 9.6... no wonky deforms... but theres no animation in that fbx u posted.

Scott C. Zupek
09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I am new to the FBX format so I don't know the ins and out of it yet. But I wanted a solid site that had FBX information for LW users and 3D Game Developers. now they have a site with the resources they need to know, because with all my google searching, I couldn't find any!

UnCommonGrafx
09-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Collada seems to be superceding fbx because of the Kaydara (to AD) acquisition, I presume.

And your statement is quite general. By that I mean that not all game developers use fbx as their transfer format. As well, fbx is more about animators and working with canned motion, probably off of a motion capture system. To that end you might find more info about how to interface with lw with a more general search that would include: motionbuilder lightwave kaydara fbx motion capture motion clips
Or some such combination.
Not all fbx files are the same. Nor are they created as the creator of the format intended.
Having said that, LW works well with all fbx files from motionbuilder if set up correctly.

Scott C. Zupek
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I am not claiming to know, but from the things I've read and the engine's that I've purchased they have both used FBX files native-ly. I understand that its more about motion capture / animation but I don't see why one package (lightwave in this instance) shouldn't be able to do it all....

And if it does then whoops for me not knowing. From my lack of understanding Motion Builder is a separate software package, just like Collada and others.

I am ignorant and I learn what I need, when I need

GraphXs
09-23-2009, 09:44 PM
I've been using FBX in the latest LW9.6 and it does have some issues. Skinning/weights don't work with the Mesh, and the camera gets all screwed up. I tried from Max to LW (FBX) and it was no good. I also tried Maya to LW and got better results (I believe because of Max is Z-up, was giving me some issues and maya is Y-UP) thought the skinning didn't work but the pivots of the objects are respected. For the object I'm just using a dpoint plugin for vertex cache data from a max object(worked like a charm)

The biggest thing I'm try'n to solve is the CAMERA issues. I retargeted the camera but its for some reason not matching the any of the frames from the Max renders???? Does anyone know a good camera trick from MAX or MAYA to get to work in LW? The next thing I will try is manually postion the camera based on MAX's file. Though any easier idea/way to take a target camera from MAX/Maya would be great!

I hope newtek does update and fix some the FBX issues in the 9.6.x version. FBX worked great between Max and Maya, I wan't LW to be apart of that clean data exchange.

Scott C. Zupek
09-24-2009, 01:42 PM
unfortunately it looks like AD gave FBX to Newtek to do what they will with it. The problem is AD keeps changing the versions and then whatever Newtek does, it has to keep up with the changes. I was able to import the attached object (fbx) into LW 9.6 but all the animation and keyframing was gone. So as of right now I would still follow up with what was listed above. (convert to the correct version of FBX, then correct to OBJ then open in LW)

3DGFXStudios
09-24-2009, 02:46 PM
I use fbx export in 9.6 and export it to Fusion and it work great. Sometimes there are some bug but baking motions helps and it doesn't export frames below zer0. Also in Fusion you need to readjust the camera focal length but except that it work great.

3DGFXStudios
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
unfortunately it looks like AD gave FBX to Newtek to do what they will with it. The problem is AD keeps changing the versions and then whatever Newtek does, it has to keep up with the changes. I was able to import the attached object (fbx) into LW 9.6 but all the animation and keyframing was gone. So as of right now I would still follow up with what was listed above. (convert to the correct version of FBX, then correct to OBJ then open in LW)

Do you mean the skinning? Or the actual animation? I don't think fbx exports the skinning.

cresshead
09-24-2009, 05:07 PM
fbx more or less sux with lightwave..
i don't even bother with it thesedays in lightwave
too much hassle...
if it doesn't click click work...i won't click click bother...

use point cache or mdd