PDA

View Full Version : Made Bones, but Can't Make Mesh Move

B_Free
09-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi Everyone!

I'm banging my head against a wall; I'm hoping that I've missed something simple. I just can't seem to make my bones move my mesh at all.

Here's what I've done so far:
- I have the object open in Modeler and drew the various skelegons for it. I made sure the skelegons were in the same layer as the mesh.
- I named the top two skelegons 'Head' and 'Upper_Neck'
- Created 2 new weight maps named 'Head' and 'Upper_Neck.' Each one has a series of points in the mesh set to 100% (They're glowing red when I view them through the "Weight Shade" setting while the rest of the model is green.)
- I clicked on my 'Head' skelegon, and then clicked on Skelegons>More>"Skelegon Weight..." In the box that came up I typed in "Head" as the name of the weight map. (Then did the same with the 'Upper_Neck' skelegon & 'Upper_Neck' weight map.)
- I saved the model and switched over to layout where I loaded the model.
- In Layout I went Setup>Add>"Cvt Skelegons" The message says 25 bones created.
- I note that Setup>General>"Enable Deform" IS on.
- I click on the Head bone, open the properties panel, and click "Use Weight Map Only." Strength is set to 100%, and I doubled checked that right weight map was listed next to "Bone Weight Map" (I also did the same to 'Upper_Neck'.)
- Now when I select the Head bone and try rotating it... nothing happens!!!

I've spent the past several hours trying every different setting I can find but nothing has worked. I've gotten the mesh to deform, but not using the weight maps.

Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

GregMalick
09-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Read up on resting bones. That has to be done.
And make sure they are active.

B_Free
09-16-2009, 03:52 AM
I just finished searching the Modeler & Layout documentation for "resting bones" but I didn't get any results. The only thing I could find that seemed close was resetting the resting positions of bones if you're doing Motion Capture.

Could you maybe give me another hint? or point me to a good source of info about them?

Thank You!!! :)

B_Free
09-16-2009, 04:03 AM
Hold on... I think I found something on page 327 of the Layout manual. From what I'm reading it sounds like I have to "rest" my bones before they can be used, but I'm not sure how I do that. Is it something in the bone's properties panel?

B_Free
09-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm trying again... this morning I clicked on "Rest Position" and "Rest Rotation" in the Properties panel for my "Head" and "Upper_Neck" bones, then clicked "Ok." I reloaded my object into layout and did this right after I converted the skelegons to bones. Also I double checked, "Bone Active" has a check mark for both of them.

My mesh still isn't moving though.

I also notice that if I set the "Falloff Type" to Inverse Distance (rather than Inverse Distance^16), then my mesh will move, but it's very distorted, as if the bone wasn't using the Weight Map. Any ideas? Did I not set the rest position correctly?

GregMalick
09-16-2009, 11:24 AM
I don't have the manual with me to point out where to find resting bones....

But this should help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK4fH-fyFKo

dballesg
09-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Select a bone of your mesh, with the middle mouse button made a marquee that enclosed all the bones of your character to select them quickly.

Press 'r' on the keyboard to rest them.

David

B_Free
09-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Wonderful! I think I've got it. Thank you both very much!!! :)