PDA

View Full Version : FPrime on Mac is kinda SLOW

OlaHaldor
09-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Behold, the proud, new FPrime user. :thumbsup:

I just gotta ask, whether I'm alone on this issue or if everyone gets this, whether it's on Mac or Windows.

I just loaded a very simple model, and made the camera position I wanted. I opened Light preferences and switched from Distance to Area. You know what? I got the funky spinning beach ball for about 20-30 seconds, and THEN the FPrime window updated. I thought that was odd, but continued to play around to see how fast FPrime would constantly make the render look better, moving the camera around etc.

So I went into Camera preferences, and changed the Lens Focal Length from 24mm to 20mm.. And here we go.. another 20-30 seconds of beach ball action.

Is it just me, or do you have this problem too? Is it a Mac only issue, or do you have this on Windows too?

rsfd
09-16-2009, 03:37 AM
Noticed that too (in some cases), but mostly FPrime is quick enough.
One downside atm may be the fact, that FPrime is locked to 2 cores
(http://www.worley.com/E/fprime_support.html) due to a LW issue.
With LW 9.6.1 we should see an immidiate unlock for multiple cores on FPrime by Worley as well.

OlaHaldor
09-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Yeah I noticed the CPU History in the Dock goes only one quarter of it's size. All though, I'm VERY impressed so far.

A workaround for some of my issues is to pause FPrime before I do radical changes, like adding a new light, changing light type etc. Counter intuitive, but if that's the way it has to be.. :)

Doing a test render on a scene the internal LightWave render engine spent about 24+ hours rendering. 1.5million polygons, 250 frames, GI, motion blur, DP_Shifter node and some other fancy things going on at 1280x720. Looking very promising so far, regarding speed! :)

toby
09-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Behold, the proud, new FPrime user. :thumbsup:

I just gotta ask, whether I'm alone on this issue or if everyone gets this, whether it's on Mac or Windows.

I just loaded a very simple model, and made the camera position I wanted. I opened Light preferences and switched from Distance to Area. You know what? I got the funky spinning beach ball for about 20-30 seconds, and THEN the FPrime window updated. I thought that was odd, but continued to play around to see how fast FPrime would constantly make the render look better, moving the camera around etc.

So I went into Camera preferences, and changed the Lens Focal Length from 24mm to 20mm.. And here we go.. another 20-30 seconds of beach ball action.

Is it just me, or do you have this problem too? Is it a Mac only issue, or do you have this on Windows too?
I hate to tell you this, but my dual 450 G4 didn't hang that much with Fprime back in '03. But considering the problems that have cropped up with 10.5 and esp. 10.6, you may be lucky that it works at all (there is STILL no previewr that can do what FPrime does). Another reason to look forward to 9.6.1...

greg.reyna
09-28-2009, 05:45 PM
I too noticed the slowness when changing to an area light while running FPrime & LW9.6 UB. But that's not what's bothering me... For some reason that same area light--which is key light in this scene, and a couple of shadows are rendering in FPrime but not via F9-F10! That's got me puzzled. I haven't spent much time tracking the problem yet.

Last night I rendered the 70 frames of the scene via F10 (after shutting down FPrime which was running while I worked) and was surprised to discover that the renders didn't look like they had in the FPrime interactive window; they were dark where the area key should be, and had no shadows on the ground from the two spotlights I created for that purpose. (the ground object is set to not show shadows from the key, fill and rim lights. Two spotlights for ground shadows equal 5 lights total)

This morning I started up the scene again, started up FPrime, raised the brightness of the key area light and hit F9 to render. The Image Viewer showed the increased brightness of the area light, but still didn't show the ground shadows. Oddly, FPrime didn't show the increased key light brightness, even after hitting FPrime Refresh. I had to leave the house, so this time I set FPrime to render the scene. It's still rendering (I set it to 'endlessly refine') so I only checked frame 1, the same frame that I ran F9 on this morning. Comparing the two, it looks like FPrime didn't pickup on the increased brightness of the key light on the renders. I'll have to shut down the render and look more closely to be sure. Any idea why FPrime would not pick up on the changes to the area key? And alternatively, why would F9 not render the shadows?

Confused, but glad the renders are otherwise looking good.

Thanks for any input,
Greg Reyna

ingo
09-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Hmm Fprime renderer is slow here too. I just updated from 8.5 to 9.6 and Fprime renders only 10 to 20% faster under 9.6 native than under 8.5 in Rosetta, odd. Shouldn't it be at least twice as fast ? I only opened a scene and changed the sunsky plugin to the new one, thats all.

greg.reyna
09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Chalk one up to gadget whiplash. I tried rendering with Raytrace shadows, and it worked fine. When I set it back to Shadow maps I realized that I had cranked up the fuzziness gadget to over 7000! Apparently the shadow was diffused over the surface so fine I couldn't see it. I gotta stop clicking on the gadget and sliding the mouse in a broad action without paying attention to the final setting.. This also explains why FPrime showed the shadows, but F9 didn't. FPrime must ignore, or at least limit, the fuzziness setting for shadow maps.

Oops.

The only slowness I've noticed is when changing from one light type to another. FPrime works fine in Interactive mode while I'm working with lights on this dual 1.4 GHz G4. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I always run two graphics cards, and FPrime runs on my second monitor.

ingo
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Well Fprime knows no shadow maps, it renders them as raytraced shadows.

Fprime previewer works fine in LW 9.6 as long as you use the classic camera, with others you have some hickups.

OlaHaldor
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
hmmmm That might be my problem. I've always used the real lense camera. Gotta test with Classic tomorrow. :D

sublimationman
09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Funny seeing this thread. I was just thinking of getting fprime. Does it render real time node surfaces? Like say Dielectrics?

Also can it render out single very large images (like 5000 x 3000)?

And does it do so a lot faster than the native Lightwave engine?

OlaHaldor
09-30-2009, 12:58 AM
I can surface and light the scene with no problems at all. It's just a few hickups along the line like when I change a light to another light type, it will hang for several seconds and give me this nice colorful beach ball, and then it will carry on after a while. Workaround: PAUSE before you change light types.

Also some times it will give me the same kind of hang when I change nodes or add things like reflection blur or adjust a procedural texture. Annoying, yes.

I believe I read in one of those open beta threads that FPrime is limited to using one set of cores at a time due to something in LW 9.6, while 9.6.1 will fix this. Hopefully. Or maybe mr. Worley have something up his sleeve.

ingo
09-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Funny seeing this thread. I was just thinking of getting fprime. Does it render real time node surfaces? Like say Dielectrics?

Fprime can render most nodes, only the precalculated dont work (read it in another thread here about Fprime 3.51 i think)

[QUOTE=sublimationman;931594]Also can it render out single very large images (like 5000 x 3000)?

That depends on your scene and your amount of ram

And does it do so a lot faster than the native Lightwave engine?

depends on your scene.

OlaHaldor
09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
HA! Guess who had a really bad day at work, and then forgot to check out performance of FPrime Real Lens Camera vs. Classic Camera... *note to self*

ingo
10-01-2009, 12:42 PM
So have you tested it today ?

rsfd
10-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by sublimationman
...Like say Dielectrics?
I'm getting different refraction results with UB-FPrime 3.5.1 vs. LW native render using dielectric. Anyone else?

OlaHaldor
10-01-2009, 03:17 PM
So have you tested it today ?

Yes. I tried Classic cam and Perspective cam. Perspective was by far faster than Classic, in my tests. But I spent only like 10 minutes, so I really don't know for sure, it was just a few minutes I had to spare in the lunch break.

ingo
10-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Odd, i have the opposite result. I tested a scene that rendered 3 hours with the perspective camera, but in 2 hours with the classic cam, with FPrime that is.

OlaHaldor
10-02-2009, 04:41 PM
How many passes did you make it stop at then?

I'll make a scene and check with both cameras and report what I find. :) That'll be on monday when I'm back at my desk.

ingo
10-03-2009, 01:28 AM
I rendered 20 passes in Fprime, picture size is 1280 x720. The scene is one building with 50 clipmapped trees (only 2 different ones) and 30 3D bushes (3 different ones) with clipmapped leaves.

OlaHaldor
10-03-2009, 07:38 AM
So in other words, this was a single frame ?

ingo
10-04-2009, 01:58 AM
yes

mlanza
01-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Can anyone send me fprime 3.51 for mac?
Thanks a lot

toby
01-22-2010, 02:54 AM
http://www.worley.com/E/downloads.html