PDA

View Full Version : Pre and post Behavior in the Graph Editor Busted?

Caveboy
09-16-2009, 01:27 AM
I was noticing the Graph Editor might have a bug - unless it was changed! I seem to remember to have the ability to change the pre or post behaviour of a keyframe individually. Now, the pre and post behavior can only be set ONCE for all keyframes!

Is this really the way it works now?

I remember this setting was available for all keyframes.

Anyone have this problem? I'm using the mac version of 9.6

Thanks

Dan

dwburman
09-16-2009, 10:11 AM
It seems to be working normally here in LW 9.6.

Do you mean setting pre and post behavior per channel or per keyframe? Per channel works for me (eg. setting it on X does not effect Y)

Pre and Post behavior determines what happens before or after your keyframes. How do you expect it to work?

Caveboy
09-18-2009, 01:01 AM
I used it before. I thought it worked on a single keyframe. Not per channel across all keyframes.

I can change all the keyframe settings per keyframe. Why not this? Lets say, I have a channel that has linear behavior for 10 frames, but I want to change the behavior at frame 50? I thought you change the pre and post per keyframe.

RebelHill
09-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Nope, never... pre and post behaviour has always been for the keyframe set, not each key.

Caveboy
09-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Thank you!

Its been too long since I animated in LW. Animation - even simple camera motions- can be tedious.

I just want to be able to "switch" my camera path from a repeating motion to a linear, etc. Manipulating the motion curves can be tricky. The spline controls are not easy to control.

I guess, I can break my camera motion into separate cameras and transition with cuts instead of fades or blending motions.

Thanks again.

toby
09-20-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi Dan! Que pasa?!? I haven't worked in lw for a couple years either, but I still troll around here ;D
Pre and post behaviour has been per-channel as far as I can recall, maybe that was pre-6.0? But I know what you're talking about ( first time I wanted to do it per keyframe was in your class, animating the flying saucer! Good times! )

dwburman
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
I see what you mean now. The function you're looking for is in the "Incoming Curve" drop down.

toby
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Those aren't pre and post behaviours; he wanted the 'stepped', 'repeat', 'offset repeat', 'oscillate' options, that are only available per curve.

dwburman
09-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe I didn't read closely enough. :)

He did mention 'Linear' and 'Stepped' on a per keyframe basis and the incoming curve is the way to do that.

Now I see he wants to go from a repeating pattern to linear. You can bake the curve (then possibly reduce keyframes) and then delete the keyframes in the section you want to be linear.

Going from one repeating pattern to another sounds more like a job for Motion Mixer, but I've never used it so I don't know if you can do camera movements with it.

Sometimes, when I do camera movements, I use a null as the camera target and sometimes a second null as the camera parent.