PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Mac v9.6 Hotfix/Cocoa Update - 14 Sep 2009

Chuck
09-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi, Mac 'Wavers! :)

Welcome to this week's progress note on our Mac development activities!

Cocoa/Hotfix LightWave v9.6.x: The team continues working on some additional issues to resolve for Snow Leopard compatibility, and some issues that have cropped up in the OpenGL system in Modeler on both platforms. As noted late last week, we want to clear those issues before we launch into Open Beta.

Development and Marketing are still in progress reviewing the communications changes needed in various aspects of the Reg System messages and emails to update them all for v9.6.1, as well as providing information to IT for fine-tuning the Open Beta aspects of the Registration system. We still expect that things should be ready to go by the time the team has the UI and OpenGL fixes done, and at that time we will commence the Open Beta.

To help you prepare for Open Beta, here is important information regarding dongles, licenses, etc., for Mac users. (Those who have participated in Open Beta previously may already have taken a look into the OB forums and seen this info, but folks who have not previously been in OB and who may be considering it will need this information.)

Rainbow Eve3 Dongles: Exchange Needed for 64-bit Cocoa LightWave

LightWave 3D v9.6.1 brings both 32-bit and 64-bit Mac support to LightWave users for the first time. One of the issues that users will need to be aware of is that only the Sentinel framework is provided for 64-bit operation, because SafeNet does not have plans to port the Eve3 Framework, which is required for the Mac-only Eve3 USB Dongles. If you have an Eve3 USB dongle and you plan to use the 64-bit version of v9.6.1, you will need to exchange it for the current Sentinel Ultrapro Dongle. This same issue will also affect LightWave CORE if you are planning to upgrade - CORE will use only the Sentinel driver for both the 32-bit and 64-bit Mac versions.

You can determine if you have an Eve3 dongle by checking the engraved logo on the top, where it will say Rainbow/Eve3.

Folks who have an Eve3 dongle can call or email Customer Services now to request that the replacement dongle be sent out. There will be at most a small charge for the dongle (management is still reviewing the details of the exchange program), the replacement will ship immediately upon request, and the customer can return the Eve3 dongle that is being retired after receiving and getting set up and running with the new Ultrapro dongle and new dongle ID.

NewTek will also provide confirmation of the exchange to any third parties from whom the user has products that key to the dongle, as for example do Worley Labs products. If you round up the necessary fax numbers or email addresses for your third party products, you can provide that information in your first call or email to NewTek CS, and that will enable the CS staff to send out the confirmation notices very quickly after entering the order.

Please note that we are not able to provide an exchange unit with the same Lock ID number that you currently have. If you have third party plugins that are keyed to the dongle but are no longer supported, you will not be able to use those plugins with the new dongle.

Rainbow/SafeNet Duo Dongles: Notes for Use with 32-bit and 64-bit Cocoa LightWave

Rainbow was the company that originally made the dongles used by LightWave 3D. Rainbow was acquired by SafeNet, and apparently the timing was such that some Duo dongles are labeled Rainbow and some SafeNet. The Duo dongle information below applies to all Duos, regardless of which company name they show.

The Rainbow or SafeNet Duo dongle supports both the Eve3 Framework and the Sentinel driver. For LightWave 3D v9.6.1 64-bit the Sentinel Driver is used, and so will report a different Lock ID than did your 32-bit Mac LightWave 3D. Registration needs to be updated to allow for this, so for now users with Duo dongles will need to contact Customer Services in order to get a license key for 64-bit Mac UB, as Registration is generating a key based on the Eve3 lock ID.

Please note, however, that if you have also registered the Windows Lock ID for your Duo Dongle, then Registration may have generated an Open Beta license key for that ID, and if so, that should work as well for 64-bit v9.6.1 on Mac.

That's it for this week!

Please Keep Those Bug Reports Coming: Getting in reports on any bugs you may have encountered but not yet reported is very important. Don't forget to include steps and content, as they are needed to insure that we can duplicate your bug properly and get it fixed. For those of you who need a refresher as to how to report bugs, check this link:

Instructions for Bug Report and Feature Request Database (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73227)

Below: Image of Rainbow Eve3 Dongle, and Image of Rainbow Duo Dongle (on right of image; please note some Duos will be labeled SafeNet Duo) and newer SafeNet Sentinel Dongle.

DiscreetFX
09-15-2009, 05:30 PM
Great news Chuck, thanks for the nice update.

solferino
09-19-2009, 02:56 PM
but...this version (9.6.1) in cocoa and 64bit for mac...will support OpenCL and GSD of Snow Leopard?

Lightwolf
09-19-2009, 03:05 PM
but...this version (9.6.1) in cocoa and 64bit for mac...will support OpenCL and GSD of Snow Leopard?
I doubt it... especially OpenCL as that needs a rewrite... and only a few things are really suited for it by nature as well.
Supporting GSD would require binaries that work with 10.6 only... which means double the testing as well (and there's quite a few people still using 10.5 and 10.4).

Cheers,
Mike

solferino
09-19-2009, 03:14 PM
so...nothing gpu computing and no multi processing for all functions in this version?

Lightwolf
09-19-2009, 04:46 PM
so...nothing gpu computing and no multi processing for all functions in this version?
Neither OpenCL nor GSD will magically provide something that wasn'T possible earlier.
And both (OpenCL to a much larger extent) will not only require a rewrite but also a rethinking of a lot of the basic concepts.
That's where CORE comes in.

Cheers,
Mike

gpdesigner
09-24-2009, 09:06 AM
If you have an Eve3 USB dongle and you plan to use the 64-bit version of v9.6.1, you will need to exchange it for the current Sentinel Ultrapro Dongle.

Sometime whether or not you run into issues all boils down to correct wording . . . . What if we don't have a Sentinal Ultrapro Dongle, do we still need it? I have the "Sentinal Safenet Duo" will that be good enough?
gp

rsfd
09-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Isn't your "SafeNet Sentinel Duo" a "Rainbow Duo"?
(If so, your question should be answered in Chucks original post)

gpdesigner
09-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Isn't your "SafeNet Sentinel Duo" a "Rainbow Duo"?
(If so, your question should be answered in Chucks original post)

I saw the images of variuos Dongles posted above, clearly one is written Rainbow Eve, and the other is written Rainbow Duo, mine is not,
on my Dongle it is written "SafeNet Sentinel Duo" only.

now one could say Safenet was mentioned in his post

because SafeNet does not have plans to port the Eve3 Framework, which is required for the Mac-only Eve3 USB Dongles.

and Sentinel was also written in his post

One of the issues that users will need to be aware of is that only the Sentinel framework is provided for 64-bit operation,

And I could assume that because those 2 words were written Safenet and Sentinal that my "Safenet Sentinal Duo" is good . . .
however my dongle doesn't say

the current Sentinel Ultrapro Dongle.

I am just wondering because that leads to misunderstandings
gp

rsfd
09-24-2009, 11:39 AM
yes, I completely understand. There were quite a lot of questions about the dongle issues. (could be another impetus to a more professional appearance of NewTek)
During the past years, it seems there were 3 different USB dongles, all manufactured by SafeNet.inc with various necessary drivers/frameworks.
Eve3 is the oldest and it's framework will not be continued or ported to 64-bit Mac compatiblity, therefore it must be replaced.
The Duo Dongle that you most likely have, will work. However, as it will then use the latest driver (the Sentinel Driver) software instead of the Eve3, you will have to contact customer support to get a new license.
The Ultrapro is just the latest type of USB Hardware keys from SafeNet (the black one in the background of Chucks 2nd photo).

gpdesigner
09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks rsfd,
I didn't know any of that . . . see you learn stuff everyday, if I hung out more on the forums and read more, I would probably know way more than I do . . .
Thanks man
gp

Chuck
09-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Rainbow was the company that originally made the dongles we use. Rainbow was acquired by SafeNet, and apparently the timing was such that some Duo dongles are labeled Rainbow and some SafeNet. The Duo dongle information applies to all Duos, regardless of which company name they show.

I've added this information to the original post and made some other changes to make it more clearly evident.

v1u1ant
09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
i dread to ask but whats that white stuff on the purple rainbow duo dongle?

needs a clean.

Chuck
09-24-2009, 04:51 PM
i dread to ask but whats that white stuff on the purple rainbow duo dongle?

needs a clean.

Ben Vost took the pic, and I asked about that as well. There was a sticker wrapped around the dongle, and it left adhesive when removed.

v1u1ant
09-25-2009, 04:04 AM
ah yea i remember the sticker

Rollie Hudson
09-25-2009, 03:59 PM
I understand that Snow Leopard can boot into its 64 bit kernel when the '6' and the '4' keys are pressed down during boot up. Otherwise OSX 10.6, Snow Leopard, boots into its default 32 bit kernel.

Question: Can we use Lightwave 9.6.1 Mac-64 in the standard Snow Leopard boot and take advantage of all of its 64-bit powers? Or do we need to boot Snow Leopard into its 64-bit mode in order to take full advantage of this new version of Lightwave?

Lightwolf
09-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Question: Can we use Lightwave 9.6.1 Mac-64 in the standard Snow Leopard boot and take advantage of all of its 64-bit powers?
Yes. The 32-bit kernel can still run 64-bit apps (which is true for 10.5 as well, which only has a 32-bit kernel).
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/28/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_to_the_kernel .html (64-bit Cocoa being the important bit).

Or do we need to boot Snow Leopard into its 64-bit mode in order to take full advantage of this new version of Lightwave?
No.

Cheers
Mike

Rollie Hudson
09-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Good to know. Thanks Mike!

jwiede
09-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Chuck, what happened to the status updates? We've not had anything since nearly two weeks ago, and the open beta still hasn't begun (and it's almost October).

Am I really the only one concerned that weeks and months are sliding by, and we're still not any demonstrably closer to 9.6.1? Yet are stuck with a LW9.6 that is pretty darn unstable on 10.6.x?

tomf
09-27-2009, 06:21 AM
no, you are not the only one. waiting patiently (and quietly) here, for many months now...

i have always supported NewTek, all the way back to 1991.

but it's getting harder and harder to believe NewTek's claims that Mac users are not second class citizens in the Lightwave world (perhaps not intentionally, but that is still the effective result)...

we eagerly await the day of a final, stable, and fully production-usable Lightwave 9.6.x for Mac...

OlaHaldor
09-27-2009, 06:34 AM
While I was eating breakfast, I was actually thinking about this. What is it about this open beta registration that is so incredibly hard to figure out that they need to write the web application entirely from scratch? Can't they base it of the existing stuff? Or any free and open source thing like WordPress? I seriously don't understand what's taking so long about that, and I feel it's the web development guys slowing us down, not the open beta developers.

I guess that as long as the web devs have their hands tied to working on this fancy pants registration, the beta devs are gonna continue work and make it better until initial open beta release. Hopefully..

Triodin
09-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Was thinking the same thing until I Chuck explained all the hubub about dongles / registration.

I'd imagine that's the sort of thing that'd take eons for approval, if it's anything like the bureaucracy at my job.

We all know that the focus is on CORE now, I'm countin my lucky stars that we got the rewrite instead of a "You're gonna love CORE!" - which I'm eternally grateful, as I dig animation more than modeling, so CORE is out until the animation engine is up and running.

jwiede
09-28-2009, 04:55 AM
We all know that the focus is on CORE now, I'm countin my lucky stars that we got the rewrite instead of a "You're gonna love CORE!"
Well, we might get the rewrite, someday. Right now we've got very little. Heck even the CORE folks got screenshots. I'd love to even see some screen shots of LW9.6.1 on Mac under Cocoa.

If the Mac users get frustrated and go elsewhere, over LW Mac crashing so much on 10.6, or over the scheduling issues, CORE sales will likely suffer as well.

jwiede
09-28-2009, 06:52 PM
My point in saying the last sentence in the prior post, was that I'm not sure it makes sense to prioritize core over getting 9.6.1 into OB, at least in terms of the Mac users. Users who are encountering frequent crashes, etc. in your current product are much less likely to consider giving you additional money.

Newtek might have done so previously, but I'd really hope they're not still focusing efforts on core so much that it's delaying 9.6.1 Mac going into open beta.

In any case, we're overdue for a status report on 9.6.1, so hopefully it'll appear soon and address some of these issues. The lack of status reports is what concerns me the most, as silence from Newtek isn't historically a good sign where Mac LW is concerned.

battery555
09-29-2009, 07:21 AM
I wish I would have been a little patience but it's getting a bit worrying.

OlaHaldor
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
When they first said "in a couple of months" in april/june, I had my hopes up, but when they keep saying this over and over each week, I kind of.. start banging my head through the wall. :)

jwiede
09-29-2009, 06:38 PM
When 10.6 released, and compatibility issues surfaced, I'd kind of hoped they'd finally push out something into open beta which would at least start to work around the issues (and more with each subsequent drop). Doing so would at least give us a sense of visible progress towards the issues.

Instead, even the progress reports stopped coming, which is worrying. It really makes me wonder if they were portraying it as being much closer to ready than it was.

OlaHaldor
09-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Funny thing is, I've not really had any problems with Snow Leopard. Except the slowness of FPrime, but I guess that's global for the entire community using UB LW9.6.

Fictive-Studios
09-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Any news when LW 9.6.1 is goin to be released ?

= (

i have hopes it's going to fix the issues in my mac ..

Chuck
09-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Apologies, I've had a very busy couple of weeks, but will get an update posted today.

OlaHaldor
09-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Now THAT's good news already, Chuck! :)