PDA

View Full Version : Morph one shape to another along a path

trentonia
09-15-2009, 03:10 PM
I know I've done this before, but just can't remember how. I need to morph one polygon to another along a path. Both polys have the same number of points. It would be like doing a rail extrude but morphing the shape in the process. Can you help?

stevecullum
09-15-2009, 05:13 PM
There is the skin tool in modeler, but I'm not so sure it can use a path. You could always try modeling the first profile and extruding that. Adjust a duplicate of the first shape to create the second profile, extrude along the same path. Then use the background to morph tool. Then I would take the model into layout and use a weight map to blend the morph as a node displacement. Then just save transformed.

I've got no idea if this would get the results you need, but it is one possible avenue to explore, if a rather lengthy one!

Good luck!

borkus
09-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Interesting technique, Steve. Mentally noted for future reference. Sounds like something I might have to use in the future at some point.

Sekhar
09-15-2009, 10:13 PM
You could always try modeling the first profile and extruding that. Adjust a duplicate of the first shape to create the second profile, extrude along the same path. Then use the background to morph tool. Then I would take the model into layout and use a weight map to blend the morph as a node displacement. Then just save transformed.

Yeah, except I'm not sure how you'd create a weight map that grows steadily along the path. If the path is convoluted (not straight), it's not easy IMO.

Instead, you could select Make UV's during rail extrude, say along U. Then use the U value of the map in nodes to drive the background morph to steadily morph along the path.

Below is an example to show what I'm talking about.

biliousfrog
09-16-2009, 01:51 AM
I'm doing this at the moment using weights and morphs to have a router profile kitchen worktops.

Set up the morph first

Create a weight map along a path by selecting two adjacent polys and run UV spider...you'll need to do this in rows until the path is completely UV'd, making sure to start at the same position each time.

Run the convert UV to weight tool and you'll get a weight map that follows along the path from 0% to 100%.

In Layout you'll need to set up a simple node displacement using the weight to control the morph. By using a gradient or curve node you can keyframe the keys to make the morph travel along the path (see attached).

I've actually refined it a little but for a single morph it should work ok...you might want to change the key type from step to something else depending on your needs.

* Be aware that the gradient node will lose the envelope button if you lock any of the keys (RMB) and reload the scene or export/import the nodes. If you use the curve node you will need to use the Alpha output as the colour channels are split.*

stevecullum
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, except I'm not sure how you'd create a weight map that grows steadily along the path. If the path is convoluted (not straight), it's not easy IMO

To create the weightmap I would have done it the hard way and selected rows of points along the path and then gradually decreased the weighting to create a fade off. Or maybe if it was really complex, I would have painted a map in 3DCoat and used the textured point tool in modeler.