PDA

View Full Version : Exercise? Do you?

Nicolas Jordan
09-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Since most of us Lightwavers here sit in front of a computer for the better part of the day I am just curious what some do for exercise?

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
a pretty standard week for me includes some running, a little lifting and playing soccer on sunday and monday evenings. when i am not doing those things, i am sitting in front of my computer or the tv haha.

monovich
09-15-2009, 01:38 PM
I do competitive cycling to balance out the computer time. I usually kick off work around lunch time and take an hour and a half or two to get some fresh air and get a good ride in. If I didn't do that I'd be Jabba-The-3d-Guy.

tyrot
09-15-2009, 01:44 PM
dear nico

fantastic thread:)! ... because of constant sitting my liver got into very bad condition. Right now im on very serious diet and walking at least an hour on treadmill. (at least trying) .. I also had enormous pain within my joints. But after walking everything is getting into good shape..

Of course i put my Laptop on treadmill and watching Proton's videos while walking..

I urge my wavers friend to check their ALT and AST ratios in their blood...Your liver DOES NOT like 3D ...i tell ya

Best

shrox
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I race streetluge and I walk and hike alot. I need to start working out though...

archijam
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Just joined the local gym again .. 2 or 3 lunchtimes a week.

akademus
09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Gym downstairs, pool too. Every couple a days.

In studio we have ping-pong table so occasionally we play during renders.

Also, once a week I go for 1 and a half of ping-pong in doubles with my buddies followed by 4-5 beer rounds :) (hey that counts as sport too, those half litter glasses are fairly heavy)

I can't recommend ping-pong enough. Couple of rounds wont make you sweat like pig, you can play it in everyday clothes, fast and good fun. I always considered it a game for sissies, but it is enormous help to me during work day. Also, it's good for your eyes.

jaxtone
09-15-2009, 04:44 PM
My physical training contains a plan where the word "tomorrow" is of great importance. When it comes to weight lifting a tube of morphine pills is the most crucial moment of training each day just to stay away from pains!

I once had a six pack and loads of defined muscles from a period in life where I was taking double passes of karate training 3 days a week, but thatīs years ago. 30 years, five kids and two wifes later the six pack have dissappeared and been transformed into a big fat tummy and a six pack of capacities on my work agenda instead. Itīs actually so long ago I was in a good shape I guess dinosaurs walked on the planet at that moment. Shame on me!

Two years ago I went to a local "sport karate/Ju Jutsu club" in the neighbourhood since there were no Karate Club here. I asked the owner if he had some classes for old fighters and he promised me there were people in the same situation like myself on Saturdays.

I went there and was suprised that everyone looked so young but jumped into it anyway. The trainer paired me up with a guy that didnīt look a day younger than 25 but seemed to be a hard puncher and we started to combat quite hard. After the three hours of training I asked the guy how old he was and for how long he hadnīt been in a dojo. He answered me that he was 28 years and that he had taken a break from training for three months just after he won some knockdown and UFC matches.

Well, I had to admit that I had a 30 year pause from all training but even at the age of 54 it was a pleasure to be back in the dojo even if my heart was about to stop and every limb were about to burst. I also wonder why that the owner of the club hadnīt been completely true when he invited me. There were no one in that class over 30 years and they were all in great shape. I had to stay in bed for a week after that training pass since my body was completely smashed. One week later I broke my knee for the 10:th time in life, but this was outside the dojo so that doesnīt count at all.

An idiots story:
(When I broke the knee I passed out for a couple of seconds and. wen I woke up people was standing around me and trying to help, and they also called an ambulance. Now I might have been confused but I felt like a real dumb ***. I went up in a standing position and opened my car door, put myself in the car and told them everything was ok. I had a meeting with a new customer and went there.

About 30 minutes later the customer wondered why I refused to take a seat and why my face was green. I looked down at my knee that now had a size of a football and told them that it was broken. Of course they asked why I didnīt go to the emergency and I replied that customers always comes first then I took off to the hospital. What an idiot I am... or maybe just temporary confused by pains.)

jaxtone
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Damn! It must be me youīre talking about! :cool:

If I didn't do that I'd be Jabba-The-3d-Guy.

jameswillmott
09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
I have two children that treat me like a toy, that's exercise enough :)

stevecullum
09-15-2009, 04:59 PM
I hate taking exercise - used to skip as much PE at school as possible. The last 37 years have been kindish though, so I've remained fairly trim. But I have recently joined the gym as I felt my muscles seizing up, after years slumped at a computer desk. I try to go twice a weak and walk everywhere I can. It's really tough to go though, as I'd much rather be cooking up some cool particle FX!

DiscreetFX
09-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Anyone have recommendations to get rid of that classic Buddha belly?

:help:

shrox
09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
I hate taking exercise - used to skip as much PE at school as possible. The last 37 years have been kindish though, so I've remained fairly trim...

Me too, but I want to keep it that way, so I am going to start working out. I've been looking for a second hand weight set or machine. Once I start doing it regularly it gets easier and alittle funner. I never see any major change though, I guess I'll always be a skinny artist type.

shrox
09-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Maybe if enough people rub on it, it will either wear away or become very shiny...

TheDynamo
09-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I've been working at various Post production places since 1996 so I've had ample time to sit on my bum and check pixels. Enough to gain about 70 pounds over my ideal. So as of yesterday (honest to God) I started that P90x system you see on television. I can tell you my muscles are thanking me and punishing me at the same time. :) I'm not aiming to get ripped but, trimmed down and healthy.

I'll let you know if I get slim and trim in 90 days.

Matt
09-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Used to cycle to work, play football on Wednesdays and lift weights at home, but ever since I bought a car I stopped cycling, that led to being lazy, so football went soon after, then the weights.

Now I do bugger all. I'm still trim, but am totally unfit.

Nicolas Jordan
09-15-2009, 07:40 PM
I guess I should answer my own question. I didn't do much except sit at a computer until about 2 years ago I decided to get fit and take some classes on Krav Maga. For those who don't know what Krav Maga is it's an Israeli self defence system combining various techniques from many different martial arts and simplifying them.

I go to 2-3 one hour classes each week. I have gotten very fit since starting to take classes and have had lots of fun but it doesn't come without injuries and regular wear and tear on the body. I got poked in the eye really hard once and had to make a trip to the doctor, got punched in the lower ribs a little to hard once and tore some cartilage and have had various scrapes, scratches and bruises all over. I am starting to wonder if the benefits still outweigh the risks of such activities. :stumped: :D

adamredwoods
09-15-2009, 07:47 PM
I used to train for half-marathons, but since I've left my job and started looking for a new one, the gym isn't as convenient.

I still drink beer tho, and I feel that should keep me healthy enough.

Jim_C
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
About the only exercise I have done lately is the 6 inch jerk and 12 ounce curl...

*Pete*
09-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Since most of us Lightwavers here sit in front of a computer for the better part of the day I am just curious what some do for exercise?

I train 7 days a week in a gym, and at summers i add running and swimming to my list of activities.

i spend roughly 1.5 hour a day on training.

my motivation was once to be strong, but now its such a habit that i think of it no more than i think about brushing my teeth...i just do it, and if i didnt do it ill feel physically bad about it.

*Pete*
09-15-2009, 11:20 PM
there is something about training that is vital for me.

Its like i have a set amount of energy in me for every day, and if i do not spend it in the gym, then it will come out as a nervous restlessnes in me...if i do not train then i cant sit still or relax...some of you guys do not like training, but for me it is opposite.

I hate to walk, i prefer to run as i feel more "free" when i do..but i cant run when shopping or doing other stuff in the city becouse it would set half a dozen shop security guys after me
So i end up walking and getting stressed of the energy unused.

...anyway, this inner need to spend energy is gone if i spent the energy at the gym.

Physical training has stabilised me a lot mentally.
So im killing two flies with one stroke
Great body and stable mind...and this is achieved by having fun.

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 12:10 AM
double post

cresshead
09-16-2009, 01:13 AM
i don't "Exercise"as in star jumps and 'training' type stuff but i eaither walk everywhere or use my mountain bike and when i go food shopping.

i head to the most distant supermarket in town on foot..which makes it around a 3 or 4 mile round trip if it's Tesco's or 2.5 mile trip if i want Morrisons [ususally for cheap DVD's and biccies!]...so i have to carry the bags back as wel!

also go on cycle rides out of town of around 15-25 miles when i get motivated to do so..every couple of weeks to a month.

not into 'sports' except F1 racing..i keep thinking about getting another Skateboard as my board from the mid 70's is well past it's time...but at 46 i may look a 'plonker' dashing about on it thesedays!...was a skateboard freak back in the mid 70's!

Otterman
09-16-2009, 01:24 AM
I ran a full marathon at the weekend! My legs are still not functioning.

archijam
09-16-2009, 01:57 AM
I go to 2-3 one hour classes each week. I have gotten very fit since starting to take classes and have had lots of fun but it doesn't come without injuries and regular wear and tear on the body. I got poked in the eye really hard once and had to make a trip to the doctor, got punched in the lower ribs a little to hard once and tore some cartilage and have had various scrapes, scratches and bruises all over. I am starting to wonder if the benefits still outweigh the risks of such activities. :stumped: :D

Just to be clear, at the end of the 'class', do you pay, or do they just take your wallet ;) ?

jaxtone
09-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Sounds terrific... and one thing is for sure, if you donīt keep your body in shape everything else will fall apart as well. (I would know as the guinea pig I have become for anti-physical experiments with my own body.)

Just got a question: When do you have time for work, kids and family?

I train 7 days a week in a gym, and at summers i add running and swimming to my list of activities.

i spend roughly 1.5 hour a day on training.

my motivation was once to be strong, but now its such a habit that i think of it no more than i think about brushing my teeth...i just do it, and if i didnt do it ill feel physically bad about it.

jaxtone
09-16-2009, 02:56 AM
A question for all of you. When youīre young natural reasons give you more spare time for such things as training compared to what you have later in life when youīve probably started up a family and stuff like that. So how many wavers over 40 with kids have loads of time for training etc...? (Maybe most 3D poeple die before 50 but then I am way over the top over here)... :D

Shall not lie to you but I took a run on the beach two days ago when spending some time with my youngest kids there. It was a stormy day so it was perfect for kite-flying. Then I visited the gym just for a 15-20 minutes pass and that felt really, really nice.

Yesterday two things happend.

The first thing was that my body had been screaming for more excercises the whole day and the second was that this thread actually gave me a reason to give it a go. Canīt let you youngsters having all the fun! :hey:

revengeofmonty
09-16-2009, 03:19 AM
In the gym every second day, first thing in the morning. On the other days I do pilates and yoga. I had a damaged disc in my lower back in 04. I was partially paralyzed for 8 months, an injury which, well, altered my life significantly. I never want to end up back in that place!

My better half and I plan on doing a 10K run next year, so will be starting to train for that at some stage.

zardoz
09-16-2009, 03:53 AM
well, I'm trying to find a gym near my work place with a pool but it's hard to find. I have a pretty good one near my home but it's a bit off due to my schedules.
but...at the moment I don't exercise (for some years now) and I have really nasty back and neck pain.

OnlineRender
09-16-2009, 04:03 AM
I used to mega fit , Done Kickboxing for 5 years then my daughter came along , that went out the window , played semi-pro football since i signed at age 13 but I got snapped when i was 17 "studs showing" now me knee wont take any lengthy strain or it buckles , starting to notice man boobs , but im still active ,tend to play golf on my days off ..witch atm seem very far and few between ..

Think we can sue for wieght gain ,(",)

IDEA WII LIGHTWAVE

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 04:28 AM
jaxstone: i do not have the time, but training is a priority for my wife too so i goes well...if you find it difficult to find the time, consider sacrificing the tv.

Zardoz: your pain can be caused by badly balanced muscles, do you have a slight forward leaning hunch, or shoulders that are high, and not relaxed?
I had similiar problem...caused by strong chest and weak back.
Strenghtening the muscles on the back will improve the posture and balance the body, this should lessen the tension and cure the pains.

zardoz
09-16-2009, 04:43 AM
well, I am 1,82m and 82 kg but the other day some scale 'told' me that I have 22kgs of fat lol...maybe in the head I guess. And I always tend to have my shoulders a bit to the front and not aligned with the base of the neck. And I have to concentrate to put them to the back and my chest to the front, but in seconds I'm back to my normal rest position.
really, the other day I went to play some football with my friends and I lasted for 5 minutes, the rest of the time I was the goal keeper so I could rest. So, I'm in a bad, bad shape.
And I have my back in a state that any random move can make me move like robocop. From time to time I have a nasty, incapacitating pain at the lower back, and the right shoulder.
I saw 3 doctors in the last 3 years and all of them said that this caused by muscular problems, so I should exercise. All of them said that swimming was the best option for me.

MooseDog
09-16-2009, 05:12 AM
depends on the time of year: all winter i ski. every day. rest of the year is hiking mostly, can't be arsed to go buy a bike.

colkai
09-16-2009, 05:19 AM

I don't :p
Well, unless you count walking the dog and such, do a bit more when I'm at the centre as I tend to be on the go all day then.
Plus getting some "exercise" lately as I've had lots of house repairs to tackle.
Oh joy! :D

Tend to float around the 14st mark, (196 lbs that is), I've been that weight for as long as I can remember. Tried heavy exercise and watching my diet for summat like 8 months and only managed to drop to 13st 5lb. Decided all that time and punishment wasn't worth the result hehe...

probiner
09-16-2009, 05:22 AM
I made an arrangement with my former basketball team. So i'm lucky to practice with almost professional level basketball players 2 times per week.

i stoped for 6 years and now i feel so much happier, fit and relaxed.

Only thing is that in basket i have the tendency to injure my ankle =\

Cheers

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 05:23 AM
swimming is good, but you need the gym aswell...this becouse swimming trains all of the body, while at the gym you can focus on individual muscles.
The reason for your posture is stronger chest than back..this is normal for computer people and boxers.

The muscles (or lack of them) gets your head away from its ideal resting position, so now instead of the bones carrying your head, your muscles are doing it instead...and when they get overused they get stiff and painfull.

When in the gym, avoid the macho benchpress, it will only make it worse for you.
But all pulling exercises, specially the ones that get your shoulderplates to join are great.
The muscle you need to train is the one between them.

In time, witk training, your natural resting position for head and shoulders will be correct...that you are in a bad shape is good, becouse you will not need to try to increase strenght of already strong muscles.
If you train at the gym every second day for a few months, and focus on the back, you might be free of pains very soon

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 05:31 AM
swimming is good, but you need the gym aswell...this becouse swimming trains all of the body, while at the gym you can focus on individual muscles.
The reason for your posture is stronger chest than back..this is normal for computer people and boxers.

The muscles (or lack of them) gets your head away from its ideal resting position, so now instead of the bones carrying your head, your muscles are doing it instead...and when they get overused they get stiff and painfull.

When in the gym, avoid the macho benchpress, it will only make it worse for you.
But all pulling exercises, specially the ones that get your shoulderplates to join are great.
The muscle you need to train is the one between them.

In time, witk training, your natural resting position for head and shoulders will be correct...that you are in a bad shape is good, becouse you will not need to try to increase strenght of already strong muscles.
If you train at the gym every second day for a few months, and focus on the back, you might be free of pains very soon

archijam
09-16-2009, 05:35 AM
As we say in Australia: No pain, no veins!

Pete: Good advice. IMHO avoid the two 'tit' excercises, that are the macho favourites - bench and fly machines (peck-deck). Today's pecks are tomorrows breasts ;)

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 06:15 AM
its important to train the whole body, but not out of proportion.
2 years ago i was lifting 120 kg in bench, and the best i could pull with my back was 70 kg...this gave me the same pains as zardoz has.

Today i pull (back) 110 kg and push (chest) 120 kg, this gives a good posture and no pains.

As soon as the posture got corrected i started to train chest again...its not the size or strenght that is the problem, but the disproportion between chest and back.

But im sure you already know it.

I believe many lw'ers need to train the back becouse this is a typical pc problem.

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Does pity sex every other Wednesday count?

Its a full body exercise, just as swimming, and it burns a great amount of calories.

But for any serious effect on the muscles or fat you have to "do it" 5 times a week, never less than 120 minutes each time.

revengeofmonty
09-16-2009, 06:53 AM
You should go for angry sex or passionate sex, I'm sure they'd burn more calories than pity sex.

:D ;)

tyrot
09-16-2009, 07:02 AM
dear pete

120 min? that is full length feature film!

best

MooseDog
09-16-2009, 07:08 AM
actually, a quick question for adamavenli:

stemming from your avatar, do you still race? it's been *years* since i was last on a bike, but had many many happy years racing ktm's. east coast: district 6 and n.e.s.c. for motocross and then e.c.e.a. and n.e.t.r.a. for enduros. good times, fit times :).

AdamAvenali
09-16-2009, 07:14 AM
actually, a quick question for adamavenli:
stemming from your avatar, do you still race? it's been *years* since i was last on a bike, but had many many happy years racing ktm's. east coast: district 6 and n.e.s.c. for motocross and then e.c.e.a. and n.e.t.r.a. for enduros. good times, fit times :).

i am officially 'retired' from racing haha the photo for my avatar was actually taken about a month ago. since moving to ohio i rarely get to ride anymore, but when i go home to pennsylvania i try to get in a ride every day. my family had a yamaha dealership years ago, so that is all i'm allowed to ride or i may be disowned haha. i raced district 5 moto for about 10 years and that is definitely when i was in the best shape i have ever been :thumbsup:

RebelHill
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM
As Peter O'Toole once said...

The only exercise I ever take is walking in the funeral processions of friends who took exercise.

*Pete*
09-16-2009, 07:53 AM
I got poked in the eye really hard once and had to make a trip to the doctor, got punched in the lower ribs a little to hard once and tore some cartilage and have had various scrapes, scratches and bruises all over. I am starting to wonder if the benefits still outweigh the risks of such activities. :stumped: :D

a month or so from now, ill lose my job (no worries, im eagerly waiting for it to happen), so i will have far more free time than now.

i have been planning to start some sort of martial arts training, to improve cordination, speed and flexibility...but you make it sound life threatening (and jaxstones broken knee didnt help, either) lol

thanks for a great topic, Nicholas...excercise should be a part of everyones life, but since it is not and since so many people use computers these day, this thread can bring loads of good advice to people.

zatara
09-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Climbing!

archijam
09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks a bunch, those are some very compelling facts to present to the wife :D :hey:

I believe the one being pitied burns more calories, so you're in luck ;)

jaxtone
09-16-2009, 10:54 AM
The owner of the club that invited me to train was a really nice bloke. We had a chat after the pass and he told me he had an earlier career as a military and security expert. He had visited Israel for Krav Maga training camps and told me that they go for the real thing when they train.

He told me that at each of these camp a couple of combattants die of injuries. However I donīt think it was an official training camp for rookies but by reading of your experiences from basic training it sound pretty rough. I would really like to try it out but the closest Krav Maga club is located about 100 km away from here.

Nicolas! Tell me more about the training, is it full contact all the time even with knifes and guns?

(Damn I hate the condition of my knees and legs. They have been broken so many times itīs even hard to walk nowadays. When I hear people talking of that running is exceptionally good for getting in shape I wonder how many of them that would stand the pain after running even hundred meters without any cartlidge in between the bones... I can tell that it hurts pretty much since all nerves are pressed together between the end of the bones and the knee caps. Maybe something to think about for all young people with the mantra "no pain, no gain". There is a future even for old fighters, but a much tougher procedure that taking the fight in the ring! But to be honest I wouldnīt change a thing if I could start all over again. To much fun and pleasure to be in good shape both mentally and physically.)

I guess I should answer my own question. I didn't do much except sit at a computer until about 2 years ago I decided to get fit and take some classes on Krav Maga. For those who don't know what Krav Maga is it's an Israeli self defence system combining various techniques from many different martial arts and simplifying them.

COBRASoft
09-16-2009, 11:18 AM
4 to 5 times soccer a week (indoor and outdoor). I'm planning to have a swimmingpool in my garden. That should help me to exercise too :)

AdamAvenali
09-16-2009, 11:20 AM
4 to 5 times soccer a week (indoor and outdoor). I'm planning to have a swimmingpool in my garden. That should help me to exercise too :)

nice :thumbsup: we are wrapping up the outdoor seaons here and starting indoor in a few weeks!

crashnburn
09-16-2009, 12:38 PM
17 years of doing Taekwondo, 8 years running my own Taekwondo school. Had to close it 2 years ago due to lack of time to balance everything I do and to be honest, the lack of discipline in kids today. They just don't like it. So the only exercise I get at the moment is walking around 5km a night where I work full time and the bit of training I still find time to do at home. I used to go to the gym a lot so seriously need to go back to something like that.

MooseDog
09-16-2009, 07:09 PM
i am officially 'retired' from racing haha the photo for my avatar was actually taken about a month ago. since moving to ohio i rarely get to ride anymore, but when i go home to pennsylvania i try to get in a ride every day. my family had a yamaha dealership years ago, so that is all i'm allowed to ride or i may be disowned haha. i raced district 5 moto for about 10 years and that is definitely when i was in the best shape i have ever been :thumbsup:

excellent :thumbsup:. i raced high point a bunch of times, saw several nationals there, and steel city same thing. davey coombs sr. (god rest his soul) was an amazing organizer out there and a great man. you guys had alot more good tracks out there then we did in eastern pa.

as far as being fit, i have yet to find anything that keeps me as well conditioned as when i was racing. tough to explain to others though. their loss :).

Yamba
09-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Since I had a heart attack followed by five heart bypasses two years ago I thought I'd better pull my finger out and regain my fitness.

Took up mountain biking 6 weeks after the operation to help stave off the post op depression, managed a 100 meters per trip during my first few weeks of riding. Now I ride everyday usually fifty kilometers either on the mountain bike or the road bike and compete in club mountain bike races whenever there on. I'm now training for http://www.rapidascent.com.au/AnacondaMTBEnduro/ which is my local major event.

I still do a little bit of weight training, although I'm trying to keep bulk off, carrying a P2HD camera, tripod and accessories cross country to shoot landscapes and wildlife tends to strengthen you up.

My special treat is visiting the in-laws in Switzerland and going skiing for a few weeks, I love the speed, although I do crash and burn a lot.

Shane

Nicolas Jordan
09-16-2009, 09:21 PM
The owner of the club that invited me to train was a really nice bloke. We had a chat after the pass and he told me he had an earlier career as a military and security expert. He had visited Israel for Krav Maga training camps and told me that they go for the real thing when they train.

He told me that at each of these camp a couple of combattants die of injuries. However I donīt think it was an official training camp for rookies but by reading of your experiences from basic training it sound pretty rough. I would really like to try it out but the closest Krav Maga club is located about 100 km away from here.

Nicolas! Tell me more about the training, is it full contact all the time even with knifes and guns?

(Damn I hate the condition of my knees and legs. They have been broken so many times itīs even hard to walk nowadays. When I hear people talking of that running is exceptionally good for getting in shape I wonder how many of them that would stand the pain after running even hundred meters without any cartlidge in between the bones... I can tell that it hurts pretty much since all nerves are pressed together between the end of the bones and the knee caps. Maybe something to think about for all young people with the mantra "no pain, no gain". There is a future even for old fighters, but a much tougher procedure that taking the fight in the ring! But to be honest I wouldnīt change a thing if I could start all over again. To much fun and pleasure to be in good shape both mentally and physically.)

It took a while before we started doing knife and gun defenses. I think it was about 9 months into the training that we starting doing knife defenses since it's the main weapon of choice in our city. We have done some gun disarms but haven't spent as much time on it. We have also done defense and disarms for things like bats, sticks and axes. The good thing about many of the techniques in Krav Maga is that they can be applied to many variations of the same type of attack.

We do lots of stress drills with knives. All of the stress drills and done at the end of class when we are the most exhausted. One example is where 2 guys have knives(rubber) and 1 guy attacks you with chokes etc. They can switch roles anytime during the drill. They all go full out during the drill attacking from all directions and sometimes almost at the same time. This is just one example of course. We do lots of drills where the person doing the drill is outnumbered. Even in sparring we train 2 against 1 some of the time in order to learn to deal with multiple attackers.

My instructor sometimes teaches things that are not part of that particular level(belt) that he feels we need to know earlier rather than having to wait to learn it much later in advanced levels. Every instructor probably teaches Krav Maga bit differently depending on what they feel is most relevant to their students. I have never taken any other martial arts so it's hard for me to make any comparisons but I have heard from others that come to Krav Maga with previous martial arts experience that Krav Maga classes tend to be more intense and aggressive than other martial arts classes they have taken.

The school I attend is affiliated with Krav Maga World Wide. Beware of a system called "Commando Krav Maga". It has good techniques that work well but it is not taught the same as Krav Maga and is really a more Jiu Jitsu and Judo based system using the Krav Maga name.

Cougar12dk
09-16-2009, 11:49 PM
I went from 107kgs last summer to 95 now, and working my way to 90 (I'm 6ft 3", and according to my doctor, that's my ideal weight). I had surgery on my stomach to fix a great, big hernea.

Back in 2003, while training on helicopter, I was going to the movies with a friend one evening, when studying had become pointless (you know the point, where you don't really register anything you read? :)). I don't remember anything from the day, but have been told, that we hit another car, that drove out in front of us. In the collision the driver was killed and I was thrown through the seatbelt, which put so much pressure on my abdominal muscles, that the doctors had to remove the two upper ones.
I also knocked my head, so my memory was shot all to hell. As in, I didn't know where I was from, when I was taken out of the artificial coma, I was kept in. I thought I was in New Zealand as an Au-Pair or something (yeah, right...me? Not a chance).

Anyway, the doctors/surgeons had fixed my stomach and when I got back to Denmark, I had forgotten all about what they had said about me lifting ANYthing heavier than 1kg and before long, the stitches had grown so far apart, that that great-big hernea developed.

Then two years ago I had new surgery, to fix the hernea and when I went back for a check-up in february I had gained 10kgs, because I thought I wasn't allowed to exercise at all, because that'd rip it all up again.

Anyway, I'm going back to the hospital today for a last check, before surgery to remove some uuugllyyy scarring, today.
I've been lifting weights and riding exercise bikes and have gotten to 95, where I've been for that past month. Just can't seem to get below 95. We'll see what the surgeon says today, hopefully, she'll say: "Well, you still have months to lose the last 5kgs, so in January you still go in for that last surgery.

But regarding all you other guys, who have lost FAR more weight than I.... Well done! I really admire that.

ivanze
09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Lack of exercise and keeping seat in front of a computer screen is what keeps me developing kidney stones. The pain is horrible.

probiner
09-17-2009, 01:51 AM
As Peter O'Toole once said...

The only exercise I ever take is walking in the funeral processions of friends who took exercise.

oh my... LOL

Mr Rid
09-17-2009, 02:07 AM

Lower your carbs, and eat 4 smaller meals a day. Dont eat junk food or anything fried, except once a week you can eat whatever you want in one sitting. You may do 1000 situps a day and you will never get rid of belly fat if you dont cut out eating junk and too many carbs. Fitness models will tell you it is more about diet than exercise in order to get definition. Diet is NOT about starving, it is about eating the right foods.

I was already slim while following a strict diet and exercise regimen for a few months but could not get quite rid of the belly fat. Switching to a low carb diet brought the abs out in 3 weeks. Find a diet/exercise plan in any one of dozens of health magazines. Most will work if you stick to it. Regular exercise and strict diet are NOT fun, it is hard to keep up, especially in a CG animation job. The pay off to focus on is looking and feeling better, physically and emotionally, instead of opting for the 10 minute satisfaction of eating crap that will leave you feeling icky and will take hours/days to work off. If you work at a computer, make yourself walk every day for at least 30+ minutes. I find it easy to get other co-workers together who want to walk after lunch or whenever.

Cageman
09-17-2009, 02:13 AM
I have to say that I'm pretty lazy. :/ On the other hand, playing drums for a couple of hours does indeed give me some exercise. I should really play more death metal with double basdums, since that is a really good exercise for the muscles in the back as well as the abs.

*Pete*
09-17-2009, 03:22 AM
to get a flat stomache, the best you can do is to run.

often you do not even need to cut down on your diet either, since running activates the inner abs, which in turn will press on the inside of your stomache and reduse the physical space for the food you consume...meaning, you cant eat as much as normal anymore ;)

another thing that running does, other than the obvious calory burning effect, is the shaping of abs and the muscles on the sides of them...these will pull your stomache in, giving visible results immeadetly.

so, for flatter stomache...RUN.

dmack
09-17-2009, 03:29 AM
I used to swim until they altered timetables, cut the pool in half and turned it into less of a swim and more of a 'bob around in people soup'. I run now.

From a health perspective it's a good idea to regularly look into the distance as computer based work is exclusively short focus stuff...

dmack
09-17-2009, 03:33 AM
On the eating less front - a super trick (proven in studies) is to simply substitue your plate with a smaller one. Sounds daft but leads to 25% less food being consumed as we tend to fill the plate...

An interesting study on this general theme - two sets of people were given popcorn buckets at the start of a film. Both groups buckets were too large to finish but one groups was significantly bigger than the other. Neither group finished their bucktets (so it wasn't a limited supply issue) but the people with the larger buckets ate more.

Lightwolf
09-17-2009, 03:59 AM
On the other hand, playing drums for a couple of hours does indeed give me some exercise.
That's the kind of excercise machine I want to get this year as well. To be frank, a gym or just running is way too boring for me. And team sports usually don't happen due to the lack of team members.

The main thing that seems to affect my weight is the distance to the workplace though. Since it's at home at the moment I suppose I can't get any heavier than this (roughly 12kg over, I'm at around 90kg / 1.88m and should be below 80 - I'm lanky; theoretically).

Cheers,
Mike

*Pete*
09-17-2009, 05:11 AM
On the eating less front - a super trick (proven in studies) is to simply substitue your plate with a smaller one. Sounds daft but leads to 25% less food being consumed as we tend to fill the plate...

An interesting study on this general theme - two sets of people were given popcorn buckets at the start of a film. Both groups buckets were too large to finish but one groups was significantly bigger than the other. Neither group finished their bucktets (so it wasn't a limited supply issue) but the people with the larger buckets ate more.

I would not advice anyone to eat less...healthier yes but less? no

as your study (and common sence) tells, it works..you lose weight fast.
but it does something else too, something that is less known but extremely important to know about.

our bodies are machines, made to keep us alive, to allow us to function in our enviroments.

so when i lift weights in the gym my muscles do not get a signal to grow bigger, no...what happens is that i destroy fibers in the muscles, which my body then naturally will repair...and our amazing body likes to improve things.
so the repaired muscle will be thicker/bigger and as such, stronger...my body adapts to the demanding situation by adapting my body to deal with it in the future.

if i stop eating, or eat less than normal, my body does not get the signal to become thin and burn fat...no, my body will get the signal that im in a grave danger and dying of hunger, so the body will respond by becoming more energy efficient and to burn fat to feed the body.
so far, all is good.

but, at some point of time you have to start eating normally or you will die of hunger...when you do, you will just go "POP" and end up bigger than before.
why?...becouse your body has adapted to the situation and will use even less calories of the food you eat (energy efficient) and will have a need to pump up the fatreserves (reserve energy) to deal with similiar situations in the future.

if you eat too little, you will not have energy to excercise...so you cant work out enough to burn fat in a natural way, or to break muscles (so that they can be repaired)...you need to have lots of energy to train, so eating well is important.

you all have to rememeber that it is not the food alone that makes people fat, it is the lack of excercise...if you are active enough you can eat as much as you can put in and still not gain weight (thats me, in a nutshell).

Stooch
09-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Its a full body exercise, just as swimming, and it burns a great amount of calories.

But for any serious effect on the muscles or fat you have to "do it" 5 times a week, never less than 120 minutes each time.

try hanging a weight from your balls for added resistance. might reduce your duration or take you to that next level.

Andyjaggy
09-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Don't eat out.

Portions are way to big and if your like me, if it's in front of me, I eat it. Plus restaurants are notorious for loading your food with crap you don't want to put in your body, sodium galore, fat, preservatives, and who knows what else.

If you have a significant other try splitting stuff when you do go out. We go to cold stone and split the smallest size ice cream, and I feel just as satisfied after that then when I used to eat a huge one by myself. It's more about quality then quantity in my opinion.

simle math on the loosing weight part. If calories consumed > calories burned = weight gain.

Mr Rid
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
-Walk 30+ mins a day (40% decrease of cancer risk) (dont walk with weights-risk cup damage)
-10+ mins weightlifting per day, knee bends, pushups (may be from knees instead of toes, straight back)
-Floss every day- bacteria linked to infections and miscarriages
-Avoid white food- white bread, cheese, starch...
-Eat breakfast, and at least 3 meals
-Dont smoke, and avoid 2nd hand smoke
-Maintain low blood pressure & cholesterol, take med if have to
-Salmon, Mahi, Flounder or fishoil supplement with no toxins
-Get enough sleep, at regular times (dont stay up late on weekends)
-Read and keep mind active with games, puzzles, LW
-Take a break from the News (anxiety inducing)
-Manage finances and spend below your income
-Take 10 deep breaths from diaphragm each day
-Call or talk to friends to relieve stress
-Have sex- quantity for men, quality for women
-Avoid "enriched" "saturated fat" "trans fat" "sugar" (20g sugar max/day, "Milk fat" "corn syrup"
-Get 400 IU Vitamin D (milk, OJ, vitamin, sun)
-Wash your fruits, wash your hands often (leading way virus is transmitted)
-Flavanoids, green tea, dark choco, onions, tomatoes (10tbsp tomato sauce/day reduces breast and colon cancer)
-800mg folates (reduced birth defects in chidlren)
-9 servings (size of small fist) of fruits and vegetables per day
-Get calcium, milk, OJ, 600mg twice/day
-Get magnesium 200mg
-Dont take too many vitamins
-Caffeine leaches calcium
-Ounce of nuts per day (walnuts most omega 3, lower cholesterol)
-Avacado healthy fat (mono or polyunsaturated fats good), reduces prostate risk
-Wear helmet when riding a bike

-Turn off the damn computer/TV, go and do anything outside

Lightwolf
09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
- stay up to date on current medical findings which have already or will either debunk, underline or counter a third of the previous list every couple of years ;)
- avoid anything that is explicitly marketed by "nutrition" companies as being healthy. Buy real food instead.
- do wear a helmet though :)
- stay out of bed and don't stay at home to reduce the risk of death.

Cheers,
Mike

shrox
09-17-2009, 04:15 PM
Get your genes altered.

shrox
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Lack of exercise and keeping seat in front of a computer screen is what keeps me developing kidney stones. The pain is horrible.

Drink more water man!!

aurora
09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
- Avoid stress (meaning avoid work and grad school)
- Get a good and full nights sleep
- Get some sun everyday but not enough to burn

Sadly three things I don't do/get

Mr Rid
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM

A warning to all, drink plenty of liquids. Although some are more predisposed than others, you do NOT want to pass a stone, it is the worst kind of pain. I had one and I felt like Kane in Alien. Mothers report that stones are more painful than giving birth. I hope someone has determined what type of stones you had to perhaps avoid possible contributors.

erikals
09-17-2009, 05:34 PM
sitting in my jogging suit, now, should i run, or should i browse some more,...?

i will browse some more...

erikals
09-17-2009, 05:36 PM
A warning to all, drink plenty of liquids. Although some are more predisposed than others. You do NOT want to pass a stone, it is the worst kind of pain. I had one and I felt like Kane in Alien. Mothers report that stones are more painful than giving birth. I hope someone has determined what type of stones you had to perhaps avoid possible contributors.

always wondered, does the pain come gradually ?

shrox
09-17-2009, 06:00 PM

My ex wife had some, the pain comes on suddenly as it leaves the kidney and enters the tract, part of the pain is from urine being blocked in the tract as well. Hers was a spikey looking crystal, less than a 1/4" across.

erikals
09-17-2009, 06:28 PM
ouch :/
ok, getting some tea...

ivanze
09-17-2009, 07:41 PM
I can tell you that it is one of the worst pain that you can feel. Usually you start to feel a pain at the lower back side of the kidney that has the stone. The other part is when you expel that stone. Some years ago I expelled a kidney stone so big that I don't know how that thing came off. Sorry if I'm not very clear, english is not my native language.

Mr Rid
09-17-2009, 07:50 PM

Mine built up over several minutes. One morning I had trouble urinating. Each time after I went I felt like I still had to go. I first felt a brief little ping in the abdomen. It pinged every minute or so, each time growing in intensity and the pain spread to the kidney around back. I have a pretty high pain threshold, and I was cracking jokes when I broke my leg one time. But I called 911 at the moment the stone grew unbearable, panicked at the thought of the next surge of pain being even worse. I dont think mine was very large, and it passed in 3 hours. Depends on the size of the stone. I consider myself lucky. But it totally scared me into drinking more water daily.

Nicolas Jordan
09-17-2009, 10:52 PM
ouch :/
ok, getting some tea...

I think drinking tea actually contributes to kidney stones but it's probably fine in moderation.

*Pete*
09-17-2009, 11:20 PM
coffey too, Nicholas?..or only tea?

colkai
09-18-2009, 02:41 AM
All things in moderation. :)

Though ya, drink as much water as you can, I always feel crappier when I've not made a point of drinking water. Just sat engrossed in developing, you forget time slipping away.

My problem with breakfast is, I never feel hungry when I get up, by the time I do, (if I do at all), I'm part way through my 90 min journey to work. :(

erikals
09-18-2009, 03:17 AM
damn,... better start drinking that water,...

but hey, found the answer to what to do,... :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVjLdBwTVjM&NR=1

meshpig
09-18-2009, 04:09 AM
Flipped through the posts and didn't see anyone mention Pilates!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates

Not machismo thus men apparently don't like it much because it's a room full of women with their legs and bums in the air stretching and... and maybe a bit too womanly for most? Not a bad thing at all to me.

We do a regular Saturday morning... without over exertion, you stretch muscles you never knew you had and whilst it won't give you a "six pack" for a solar plexus it definitely gives you a boost.

JML
09-18-2009, 07:34 AM
I think drinking tea actually contributes to kidney stones but it's probably fine in moderation.

i'm not a doc of course, but the kidney filters liquid so I think anything else than pure water is 'bad'..
I heard soda are the worst.. if you drink mostly soda, diet or not, watch out :)

AdamAvenali
09-18-2009, 07:36 AM
I heard soda are the worst.. if you drink mostly soda, diet or not, watch out :)

crap. haha

JML
09-18-2009, 07:47 AM
from a health website,
"Cola can severely reduce citrate in the urine and should be avoided. Many soft drinks contain phosphoric acid, which increases the risk for stones. Some research shows that drinking one quart (less than three 12-ounce cans) of soda per week may increase a person's risk of developing stones by 15%."

AdamAvenali
09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
from a health website,
"Cola can severely reduce citrate in the urine and should be avoided. Many soft drinks contain phosphoric acid, which increases the risk for stones. Some research shows that drinking one quart (less than three 12-ounce cans) of soda per week may increase a person's risk of developing stones by 15%."

double crap. haha

archijam
09-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Flipped through the posts and didn't see anyone mention Pilates!

And in australia too! Kudos :)

I believe the term where I come from is 'wooly woofta'.

Was more of an Ashtanga Yoga guy myself .. ;)

Nicolas Jordan
09-18-2009, 08:47 AM
coffey too, Nicholas?..or only tea?

Ya, I read coffee can also be a contributing factor for some people that drink lots of coffee but studies seem to suggest tea is much worse. My wife has had kidney stones in the past and the doctor told her to stop drinking tea or only have it once in a while. She used to be a big tea drinker.

jaxtone
09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I once joined the "Weight Watchers" program... they told me that alcohol were totally wrong and that would make me fatter. The first 2 weeks I lost 6 kilos... and I did get standing ovations until I dropped the truth:

I had been up for a two week tour in the capitol of Sweden and drank about 12 whiskey and colas each night.

Hard luck, since the equation didnīt match my future. Either I could stay as a skinny alcoholic or just being fat. Well, it all ended up with the harsh truth, I am sober but with 30 kilos of over weight! Screw maths!

jaxtone
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
A friend of me is the drummer in Motorhead and he hammer his drums every night for hours when he is on tour. In his earlier years he he had to eat tons of "butter" each night at his hotel room after his gigs to not get skinny as a stick.

But when looking at him nowadays I guess that age matters since itīs harder to stay fit the older you get. Well, maybe Iggy Pop isnīt included here since he found out some magic for avoiding fat. Could that be drug related? :D

I have to say that I'm pretty lazy. :/ On the other hand, playing drums for a couple of hours does indeed give me some exercise. I should really play more death metal with double basdums, since that is a really good exercise for the muscles in the back as well as the abs.

jaxtone
09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I know you are 100% right when writing this, but why the heck does it feel so hard to accept this mentally? When reading this the feeling I get is more like hearing a mother trying to force you do stuff that isnīt attractive at all. Sorry for writing this but itīs just the feeling I get and the only one to blame is me... and every couch potatoe in the same position, which of course not is standing, running or swimming.

Helmet on and floss to go... damn I didnīt even know I had a brain worth protecting and teeth worth using for anything else than candy floss! :mad:

-Walk 30+ mins a day (40% decrease of cancer risk) (dont walk with weights-risk cup damage)
-10+ mins weightlifting per day, knee bends, pushups (may be from knees instead of toes, straight back)
-Floss every day- bacteria linked to infections and miscarriages
-Avoid white food- white bread, cheese, starch...
-Eat breakfast, and at least 3 meals
-Dont smoke, and avoid 2nd hand smoke
-Maintain low blood pressure & cholesterol, take med if have to
-Salmon, Mahi, Flounder or fishoil supplement with no toxins
-Get enough sleep, at regular times (dont stay up late on weekends)
-Read and keep mind active with games, puzzles, LW
-Take a break from the News (anxiety inducing)
-Manage finances and spend below your income
-Take 10 deep breaths from diaphragm each day
-Call or talk to friends to relieve stress
-Have sex- quantity for men, quality for women
-Avoid "enriched" "saturated fat" "trans fat" "sugar" (20g sugar max/day, "Milk fat" "corn syrup"
-Get 400 IU Vitamin D (milk, OJ, vitamin, sun)
-Wash your fruits, wash your hands often (leading way virus is transmitted)
-Flavanoids, green tea, dark choco, onions, tomatoes (10tbsp tomato sauce/day reduces breast and colon cancer)
-800mg folates (reduced birth defects in chidlren)
-9 servings (size of small fist) of fruits and vegetables per day
-Get calcium, milk, OJ, 600mg twice/day
-Get magnesium 200mg
-Dont take too many vitamins
-Caffeine leaches calcium
-Ounce of nuts per day (walnuts most omega 3, lower cholesterol)
-Avacado healthy fat (mono or polyunsaturated fats good), reduces prostate risk
-Wear helmet when riding a bike

-Turn off the damn computer/TV, go and do anything outside

jaxtone
09-18-2009, 09:10 AM
I trained Jiu Jitsu for three years but experienced it as very unnatural and lame so to me Krav Maga sounds really interesting... do you know if one has to be in extremely good physical shape to train Krav Maga? A couple of times I have ended up with three or four guys against me in real street fights. In those moments I had some use of earlier training but when it comes to life threating situations survival instincts have helped more than anything else. But today I really donīt know what would happend since I probably is in the worst shape I ever been. So a Krav Maga training would maybe be an alternative if the physical training doesnīt crave that you run for miles before each pass.

Sounds like you are having loads of fun there.

It took a while before we started doing knife and gun defenses. I think it was about 9 months into the training that we starting doing knife defenses since it's the main weapon of choice in our city. We have done some gun disarms but haven't spent as much time on it. We have also done defense and disarms for things like bats, sticks and axes. The good thing about many of the techniques in Krav Maga is that they can be applied to many variations of the same type of attack.

We do lots of stress drills with knives. All of the stress drills and done at the end of class when we are the most exhausted. One example is where 2 guys have knives(rubber) and 1 guy attacks you with chokes etc. They can switch roles anytime during the drill. They all go full out during the drill attacking from all directions and sometimes almost at the same time. This is just one example of course. We do lots of drills where the person doing the drill is outnumbered. Even in sparring we train 2 against 1 some of the time in order to learn to deal with multiple attackers.

My instructor sometimes teaches things that are not part of that particular level(belt) that he feels we need to know earlier rather than having to wait to learn it much later in advanced levels. Every instructor probably teaches Krav Maga bit differently depending on what they feel is most relevant to their students. I have never taken any other martial arts so it's hard for me to make any comparisons but I have heard from others that come to Krav Maga with previous martial arts experience that Krav Maga classes tend to be more intense and aggressive than other martial arts classes they have taken.

The school I attend is affiliated with Krav Maga World Wide. Beware of a system called "Commando Krav Maga". It has good techniques that work well but it is not taught the same as Krav Maga and is really a more Jiu Jitsu and Judo based system using the Krav Maga name.

erikals
09-18-2009, 10:06 AM
bah, everyone knows that is photoshoped...

Cageman
09-18-2009, 01:25 PM
A friend of me is the drummer in Motorhead and he hammer his drums every night for hours when he is on tour. In his earlier years he he had to eat tons of "butter" each night at his hotel room after his gigs to not get skinny as a stick.

Aye... When I was playing in a band (death/thrash metal) I actually was quite damn fit... but yeah... we rehearsed 3-4 days/week and probably 1-3 hours each time. I may play a couple of hours/week nowdays, so I have to play alot more to get the same type of exercise I used to.

:)

And yeah... Mikkey Dee does indeed look little bigger these days. :D

Nicolas Jordan
09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I trained Jiu Jitsu for three years but experienced it as very unnatural and lame so to me Krav Maga sounds really interesting... do you know if one has to be in extremely good physical shape to train Krav Maga? A couple of times I have ended up with three or four guys against me in real street fights. In those moments I had some use of earlier training but when it comes to life threating situations survival instincts have helped more than anything else. But today I really donīt know what would happend since I probably is in the worst shape I ever been. So a Krav Maga training would maybe be an alternative if the physical training doesnīt crave that you run for miles before each pass.

Sounds like you are having loads of fun there.

I would say it makes it much easier if you are in good physical shape to take Krav Maga. If I miss class for much more than a week it feels harder when I go to class again because I started to lose some conditioning. I would say if a person goes to class at least 2 times per week than that seems to keep the physical conditioning up. After about 3 classes you will notice it becomes much easier but the first class is very hard usually even for people that think they are in good condition. I remember going to my first class I had so many leg cramps when it was over that it was hard for me to get up the stairs to leave. I was in poor shape at the time though.

Sounds like you have had some real street fighting experience. That experience would probably give you a better perspective on training than most people. Isn't it weird that in most real street fights one guy is almost always outnumbered. I think it's probably very rare that there are one on one fights unless one guy has a weapon and thinks he has a clear advantage.

meshpig
09-19-2009, 04:35 AM
And in australia too! Kudos :)

I believe the term where I come from is 'wooly woofta'.

Was more of an Ashtanga Yoga guy myself .. ;)

Wooly woofters aren't much of an issue here. Prefer that to the prevailing gym culture descendent from the other fork of German gymnasia...:) If only because it's so entwined with the idea of labour and prerequisite "fitness".

jaxtone
09-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Well if one hour of training makes you feel outnumbered I must admit my chances are small to make an entry in that sport, well to be true, in any sport actually. So there goes my dream, but as some much wiser people than me at this forum have announced there are no short cuts to get in shape. Yesterday I was thinking about all good advices and especially Mr Ridīs list of how to get in shape. Before falling asleep on the couch in front of a really bad Science Fiction film when the pulse in my head was banging like a hammer of high blood pressure I promised myself to start a better life this morning.

What happend was that I took my 4 year old daughter for a walk to the shop instead of taking the car as usual. Filled up two shopping bags with loads of food and started to walk back home. At this moment I had nothing else in mind than doing what I planned but something called "life" crossed my way. A cosy small café opened their doors a couple of months ago in this little village so I just stepped in to say hello to some of the originals hanging around there, some good, some bad and some unidentified objects. I knew the owners from earlier and they have a sphere of people around them from different sub-cultures, criminal backgrounds and other not mainstream cultures.

I had a big shrimp sandwich with mayonnaise and a coke and two ciggies. I who usually only smoke a few ciggies before gigs to get my voice in shape now smoked two ciggies just becuase the smoke smelled so inviting. Summary this little break was damn nice seen from a social perspective but now my conscience is seriously damaged since I once again broke my own expectations.

Anyway I walked home with the shopping bags and even ran and jumped a few steps so my daughter would get some exercise as well but since she is made of love and pure energy I had to stop to make it all the way home. The strange thing is that anytime a really threatening situation occure I am transformed and every limb and nerve in my body is like 18 again, but never elsewhere.

What a loser I am! At least when it comes to personal decisions that would change my life to normal again. (Well the day ainīt over yet!)

I would say it makes it much easier if you are in good physical shape to take Krav Maga. If I miss class for much more than a week it feels harder when I go to class again because I started to lose some conditioning. I would say if a person goes to class at least 2 times per week than that seems to keep the physical conditioning up. After about 3 classes you will notice it becomes much easier but the first class is very hard usually even for people that think they are in good condition. I remember going to my first class I had so many leg cramps when it was over that it was hard for me to get up the stairs to leave. I was in poor shape at the time though.

Sounds like you have had some real street fighting experience. That experience would probably give you a better perspective on training than most people. Isn't it weird that in most real street fights one guy is almost always outnumbered. I think it's probably very rare that there are one on one fights unless one guy has a weapon and thinks he has a clear advantage.

jaxtone
09-19-2009, 06:47 AM
You might have seen the latest reality show on Swedish TV then named "Kandisdjungeln" which roughly means "Djungle of celebrities"? In my opinion the worst TV-program ever. A real down peak when it comes to cultural, entertainment and all other values as well. Mikkey seems to have eaten to much butter, I once trained in the same Karate club as him and once he was a Swedish champ in gymnastics as well. You should see his flick flacks... he was damn fast. But as we all know the good life and age matters. He is still one of the friendliest and nicest guys I ever learnt to know.

Information for non Swedes... in this show they picked up a bunch of B-celebrities as "The original Pippi Longstocking" actress, Bjorn Borgs X-wife etc... http://tv4play.se/noje_och_humor/kandisdjungeln?videoId=1.1216777&selId=1.1194468&currPage=0

Aye... When I was playing in a band (death/thrash metal) I actually was quite damn fit... but yeah... we rehearsed 3-4 days/week and probably 1-3 hours each time. I may play a couple of hours/week nowdays, so I have to play alot more to get the same type of exercise I used to.

:)

And yeah... Mikkey Dee does indeed look little bigger these days. :D

jaxtone
09-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Damn right he is! :D

bah, everyone knows that is photoshoped...

v1u1ant
10-06-2009, 02:45 PM
last i heard sport was murder.

Smoke tabs, drink beer, get the'sen plenty of gash n'yall not go far wrong;)

revengeofmonty
10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
I'm about to start training for a 10K run....who's with me!!