PDA

View Full Version : Our shortfilm

lillmagnus
09-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Here is a trailer and a clip from a short film we completed about a year ago. It was recently shown on TV, so now finally it is ok to post clips on the web.

It was animated (mostly by me with help from Jenny Hannula in the end) in about 1,5-2 years time. Animation was done in messiah but all rendering and modelling was done in Lightwave. The film is about 29 minutes in length.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BADIHK-gMRQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbCLZEStzQc

archijam
09-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Wow.

Any details on the production?

Just wow.

COBRASoft
09-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Indeed...WOW!

StereoMike
09-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Wow!

3DGFXStudios
09-15-2009, 07:49 AM
Awesome!!!!

lillmagnus
09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks!

Wow.

Any details on the production?

Just wow.

What kind of details do you want?

archijam
09-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

Mainly curious about how you put the scenes together - are there a lot of matte backdrops, or did you go all 3D? Is all of the linework LW or did you do more in post? The characterisation seems great. Congrats!

And the usual : LW renderer or 3rd party ;) ?

When can we see it?

What's next? :thumbsup:

ps. clix.to/lillmagnus is offline ..

pps. http://bortbyting.com/en/

Tobian
09-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Wow very cool to see something that ambitious and big being made in LW! Some super work on there, and the faux cartoon style looks really cool! :)

Would love to know more about how it was all made! :)

lillmagnus
09-16-2009, 12:03 AM
>Mainly curious about how you put the scenes together - are there a lot of matte backdrops, or did you go all 3D?

Most backgrounds are modeled in 3d, but only a 3-4 cuts are rendered with a camera moving in a 3d scene. Most of the time, backgrounds are rendered out in layers and touched up in photoshop, then layered in aftereffects and cameramoves are made there. Sky backdrops are painted in photoshop. Sometimes, if I could find the right sky, I used a photograph.

>Is all of the linework LW or did you do more in post?

Yes, all linework is Light Wave, no plug-ins (Light Waves edges are amazingly good in their simplicity). We did use Mirage to paint out some unwanted shadows and weird lines in a few cuts. (Not much I would say, about 10 cuts maybe, but if you ask Jenny who did most of this work, she would tell you it's a lot).

>And the usual : LW renderer or 3rd party ?

LW renderer.

>When can we see it?

Hopefully at some festival, maybe on DVD soon. If you live in Finland, I think it will be, or has already been on TV.

>What's next?

Bigger, better, longer and hopefully with a slightly larger team.

Sorry for the dead link. I realized I haven't updated the info in years.

lillmagnus
09-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Wow very cool to see something that ambitious and big being made in LW! Some super work on there, and the faux cartoon style looks really cool! :)

Would love to know more about how it was all made! :)

To tell the truth, it's nothing special. We did some pretty simple but good light rigs in LW that we could control how the toonshading would look. All characters are always rendered by them selves, since one characters good toonshading and lighting usually didn't work well with the other character.

Other than that it was just choosing camerangles, rendering, a lot of alphachannels and putting it all togeather in Aftereffects.

I did learn a lot though. Especially from the planning point of view. And how important good storyboards are (we had to shorten the ending a lot, and I did some hastly drawn storyboards that were horrible, wich in turn made animating that part just as horrible).

Greenlaw
09-16-2009, 02:35 AM
That's fantastic! Hope I get the chance to see the entire work soon.

Greenlaw

archijam
09-16-2009, 03:12 AM
lillmagnus -

I'll buy that DVD :thumbsup:

Thanks for the breakdown, sounds great. Perhaps Petter (mentalfish)'s new LW/AE plugin will come in handy. Keep us posted!

JeffrySG
09-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Looks wonderful! I really love all of the effects/explosions in those clips!

Great look to them!

adamredwoods
09-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Great job, love the style!

OnlineRender
09-24-2009, 03:41 AM
love the style , the colours , the genre , love the whole smeggin thing , Great work ......

iFX
02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I know... this is a really old thread... but I only just saw this from the recent messiah for $40 thread.

Just wondering if there's a DVD of this? would love to see the whole thing - would definitely buy ;)

lillmagnus
02-11-2011, 04:44 AM
There is a DVD available from the shop at our homepage www.bortbyting.com/en/shop/
, but today it seems the hompage has broken down... might be the traffic from all curious potential new messiah uses.

Greenlaw
02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Your website seems to be down. Will try again later. Looking forward to it. :)

G.

lillmagnus
02-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Sorry. Our website is back up and running. Our webmaster had been working late at night without coffee.

http://bortbyting.com/en/shop/

meathead
02-11-2011, 01:45 PM
That first trailer was simply beautiful. Really.

archijam
02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I bought it. Very nice. :)

The making of/production insight is only in swedish, no subs, but still great.

allabulle
02-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Nice! And great tutorials on the web too. Thanks!

iFX
02-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Yep, site's working again... bought the DVD :)

lillmagnus
02-14-2011, 06:35 AM
A lot of thanks to you and other people who bought the DVD. It's not easy to survive doing this, and every copy sold is important.:thumbsup:

valu
02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I was following that project long time ago. I loved it.
Great job ::thumbsup::

SonicPerfect
02-15-2011, 03:08 PM
WOW!! Very nice!!
I love the render style and colors!!

MAUROCOR
02-16-2011, 04:07 AM
Well done! Congrats!:thumbsup:

lillmagnus
03-15-2011, 07:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind comments.

Valu. Yes, it's been a long time in the making. Started working on the film in 2000. By this rate the next longer film will be done by 2020.:)