PDA

View Full Version : Help! FBX from Maya/Max

GraphXs
09-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I've been trying on multiple ocassions to export a FBX file from Max to LW. The biggest issue is getting the object to work look correctly with the bones. (joints)

The issues is the object "default" pose from Max is correct in Max and is right on top of the bones. On FBX export it seem that LW seems to center the pivot on the object instead of leaving it at the same place. LW FBX also makes alot of correct "nulls" to fix the Z-up max function. I tried reseting the default pose with no luck. The skinning of the object is all over the place in LW? I also tried re-resting the bones with no luck as well.

So I decide to now try MAYA. Exporting the FBX from Max to Maya worked great and the skinned object worked fine. I export a FBX from Maya and right off the bat things in LW looked correct, the ojects pivot was in the correct default location, the mesh's location was over the bones (thought the transform/rotation on the mesh wasn't 0,0,0). Then I started to moved the timeline and the object exploded again. So I try to reset the bones rest postion. I even saved out a transformed mesh at the bones default location, replace the non-working mesh and rest its transforms and even with the weightmaps and bones in the same postion, the mesh distorts the opposite way from the bones? They mesh is at the exact location of the bones, so can someone tell me why the skinning doesn't work? The bones have use "weight map/normalize map set to on" and the bone name/weight names match and look fine in weight view at my default -50 frame pose. The bones animate correctly just the mesh is busted when I change the timeline, any help would be welcome!:help:

Thanks

geo_n
09-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I've been trying on multiple ocassions to export a FBX file from Max to LW. The biggest issue is getting the object to work look correctly with the bones. (joints)

The issues is the object "default" pose from Max is correct in Max and is right on top of the bones. On FBX export it seem that LW seems to center the pivot on the object instead of leaving it at the same place. LW FBX also makes alot of correct "nulls" to fix the Z-up max function. I tried reseting the default pose with no luck. The skinning of the object is all over the place in LW? I also tried re-resting the bones with no luck as well.

So I decide to now try MAYA. Exporting the FBX from Max to Maya worked great and the skinned object worked fine. I export a FBX from Maya and right off the bat things in LW looked correct, the ojects pivot was in the correct default location, the mesh's location was over the bones (thought the transform/rotation on the mesh wasn't 0,0,0). Then I started to moved the timeline and the object exploded again. So I try to reset the bones rest postion. I even saved out a transformed mesh at the bones default location, replace the non-working mesh and rest its transforms and even with the weightmaps and bones in the same postion, the mesh distorts the opposite way from the bones? They mesh is at the exact location of the bones, so can someone tell me why the skinning doesn't work? The bones have use "weight map/normalize map set to on" and the bone name/weight names match and look fine in weight view at my default -50 frame pose. The bones animate correctly just the mesh is busted when I change the timeline, any help would be welcome!:help:

Thanks

fbx, collada import for lw is WIP I think. Only camera works in fbx import.
I use dponts pointcache reader to read animated mesh in max.

Castius
09-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I've seen that before but can't remember what was the cause. If you can send the scene with reduce mesh or something. I could take a look and see.

GraphXs
09-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I will give the pointcache reader a try. Thanks!

Larry_g1s
09-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Check out Point Oven. Great inexpensive plug-in.

RebelHill
09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
U sometimes get weird things with the weight normalise on... Plus skinning between these different packages works very differently...

Best thing to do is remove all the weights from the bones, etc.. so its all as basic as can be, re-rest all your bnoes, and then work on the weightin/skinning from there... Or has been said, post the scene/object... it'll be easier for someone to figure out.

cresshead
09-16-2009, 11:25 AM
point cache reader ROCKS!
unlike mdd you can move your character around...from it's starting pose!

cresshead
09-16-2009, 11:32 AM
my thread on it...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100950

GraphXs
09-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Point cache worked great, I will also try just removing the weights just to see if the fix it. Now does anyone know what to use to get the camera to match from Maya or Max.

Thanks everyone!