PDA

View Full Version : Convert LW animations/cameras to C4D?

JeffrySG
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Hello any LW and C4D / Cinema4D users out there...

Are there any ways to animate elements and/or cameras in Layout and then export those animations and camera movements to C4D?

At the very least I would need to export the object movements - as the camera motions could always be recreated in Cinema.

This would be for more technical animations - no character animations.
They would probably be fairly simple mechanical type of movements.

Thanks for any help!

UnCommonGrafx
09-14-2009, 12:27 PM
um...
As I understand it, just load it in: they have importers for lw scenes.

cresshead
09-14-2009, 02:21 PM
though if your in 9.6 you need to save as a 9.0 or 6.0. version type for the lws file

JeffrySG
09-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Ok very cool guys. Thx

Are there any restrictions in saving down to 9 or 6 versions? I won't be using any node based movements.

Thanks for the input!

JeffrySG
09-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Which one of these export options would be version 9? (I'm guessing v4, right?)
Or is this not the place to save the scene as an older version.

http://i32.tinypic.com/21mx942.png

Also, does anyone know why it's doing this, but once the scene is opened in C4D, for every individual object, that's how many times the objects get duplicated. In this test scene I have 5 objects and every object is duplicated 5 times - and the motion is only one specific copies. Kind of weird. I can go in and delete each unneeded object but on a complex scene this will get difficult.

cresshead
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
export as 6.0

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77356&d=1253144112

johncmurphy
09-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm curious. What is your workflow?
Sometimes start with a model in C4D and move to LW to render, but I've never needed to go the other way. What do you find better about C4D?

JeffrySG
09-17-2009, 06:40 AM
export as 6.0

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77356&d=1253144112

cresshead,
Do you have any idea why I'm not getting those options in my export area in layout??? I posted a screen shot (http://i32.tinypic.com/21mx942.png) of what my export menu looks like. Nothing like the one you posted. I'm running on v9.6 on the MacUB version.

(could it have anything to do with CORE?)

Thanks for any suggestions.... :thumbsup:

I'm curious. What is your workflow?
Sometimes start with a model in C4D and move to LW to render, but I've never needed to go the other way. What do you find better about C4D?

I'm actually working on a project with a separate firm. They work in C4D and I work in LW. I am providing models for them which they use in C4D. They asked me for some animation support and I wanted to figure out how easy it would be for them to use any animations that I built in LW. I think they prefer how easy it is to open and exchange animation data between C4D and AE. They also really like the Mac-like interface and how easy C4D is to pick up.

JeffrySG
09-20-2009, 12:55 PM
I was able to fix the export menu just by adding the correct export options in the 'edit menu' area, just fyi.

Once the scene is opened in C4D, for every individual object, that's how many times the objects get duplicated. In this test scene I have 5 objects and every object is duplicated 5 times - and the motion is only one specific copies. Kind of weird. I can go in and delete each unneeded object but on a complex scene this will get difficult.

If anyone has any info on the above question/situation feel free to chime in here as well. :)

Eugeny
09-22-2009, 12:02 AM
C4d don't understand LWO layers ... so if you have 5 layers of some object it's will be duplicated 5 times (the first layer) in C4d. The solution to fix it is to save each object layer as a separate object and replace layers by these objects in LW scene ...

jwiede
09-22-2009, 01:06 AM
I bounce between my C4DStudio R11, modo 402, and LW 9.x quite a bit, typically using LWO as interchange format. I'm typically bouncing around during modeling, and then do the scene setup work in just one (whichever best fits my needs, each have strengths), so hadn't really looked at camera import/export, but will take a look here in a few mins and report back.

jwiede
09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Okay, just ran a few tests, and with at least simple objects, camera and light animations, C4D R11 was able to read the 9.2 version of the scene fine. It also seemed to do okay with the 9.6 version of the scene, but YMMV. It isn't perfect, it doesn't get motion options, etc. but it seems to do fine with normal, keyframed animation for those items.

Next I'll play around with object layers a bit, and see if there's a pattern.

johncmurphy: Without getting into a flamewar, there are things C4D does (or does easily) where LW has issues, esp. on Mac.

JeffrySG
09-24-2009, 09:26 PM
C4d don't understand LWO layers ... so if you have 5 layers of some object it's will be duplicated 5 times (the first layer) in C4d. The solution to fix it is to save each object layer as a separate object and replace layers by these objects in LW scene ...

that's an interesting workaround. Could be a pain if you had many different layers though.

I did a test file with some ease in and out on the camera and c4d didn't read the ease in or outs and I don't think they were able to adjust the ease in in cinema anymore.

If anyone figures out any more I'd be curious to hear!