PDA

View Full Version : L Systems plugin!

scottn
08-28-2003, 02:48 AM
Some type of plugin that allows for the creation of organic objects like trees or networks of veins using L Systems, but with a user friendly interface.

I can't believe nothing like this exists in Lightwave yet.

Mylenium
08-28-2003, 03:31 AM
There you are totally wrong! Out there are some plugins lige HyperGrove and Pawel Olas' Trees creator. Sure, those are commercial, but even some free Tools will do the trick nicely. There is Tree Cage and Gene, which will greatly do your simplistic trees and neural networks. BTW, why does everybody always mention L-Systems only in the context of plants? Real L-Systems go far beyond that and can produce many other structures based upon iterative formulas.

Mylenium

scottn
08-28-2003, 04:16 AM
Sorry, I'm just ignorant. But a "tree" plugin should be part of Lightwave's standard plugins. It's such a usefull thing - what the HELL!

riki
08-28-2003, 09:17 AM
I don't like the idea of a tree plugin, the next logical step is a human plugin. Then before you know it we're all doing poser and bryce art.

hrgiger
08-28-2003, 11:09 AM
It'd be useful. But there are about a million things I'd like to see in Lightwave before it.

jb_gfx
08-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by riki
I don't like the idea of a tree plugin, the next logical step is a human plugin. Then before you know it we're all doing poser and bryce art.

...or 3dsmax ;)

bloontz
08-28-2003, 11:54 AM
XFrog, the procedural modeler is really fun and works well with lightwave, though the models can get high poly counts pretty fast. It can make procedural models other than trees and plants. The new version is a plugin that at the moment only works with C4D but I'm sure you can still get the old version which is standalone and has a plug for lightwave. It's a bit difficult to learn but it's great fun.

John

Mylenium
08-28-2003, 11:58 AM
I disagree with both of you, riki and hrgiger. The original request and title of this thread was a L-System plugin. I'd go with that if it could be made to use all of LW's power features (MetaNURBS, UVs, Weightmaps) and still be fully programmable. L-Systems can be used for a lot of geometric structures including industrial scaffolding, window arrangements, funky background elements, pseudo circuitry etc.. Actually the plant part was the smallest one in Lindenmayers original research. I just love that kind of stuff and once you get the hang of it, it can be a real time saver - instead of manually cloning thousands of elements you just run your L-Sys interpreter. Even if under the worst conditions it only would be used for plants it would help not so few people. Most plant creating programs out there create geometry that is not so LW friendly and usable.

Mylenium

scottn
08-29-2003, 05:53 AM
Yeah, Take that! Shame on you riki and hrgiger!

scottn
08-29-2003, 05:56 AM
By the way, how do you edit your profile - I want to put a picture of myself on.

gjjackson
08-29-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by scottn
By the way, how do you edit your profile - I want to put a picture of myself on.

At the top of the page,i.e. right above the discussion directory, go to UserCP. There you can edit.

jimnokc
08-31-2003, 07:25 AM
I have to go with the XFrog idea too, XFrog is a pretty powerful system and decently priced. There is a companion product called XFrogTune which will let you trim your poly counts down, but I honestly haven't tried that (it's pretty inexpensive).

A good companion to XFrog is HD_Instance. Using XFrog and HD_Instance you can literally render an entire forest without the huge hit the processor would take if you didn't use the instancing pug-in.

XFrog is good for other things besides trees. The interface is very powerful, but can take some time to learn. Luckily the CD ships with quite a few premade trees and plants so you can get an idea of what the program is capable of.

Titus
08-31-2003, 01:45 PM
I agree, L-system is a powerful feature. Actually this can be a thrid party plug-in, and can make a lot of money.

bloontz
08-31-2003, 02:27 PM
The new version of XFrog will be available as a Lightwave plugin in the near future I believe. Also QEMLoss 3 seems to work well with XFrog models as an alternative to XFrogTune which I haven't tried yet (though it's pretty inexpensive).

amorano
09-01-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Titus
I agree, L-system is a powerful feature. Actually this can be a thrid party plug-in, and can make a lot of money.

Kool, cause I have reworked an older plugin for the past week that I made about 1.5 years ago. It does Lparser Lsystems, plus a few twists.

Here is a screen shot.

http://www.onarom.com/images/bac1.jpg

richpr
09-01-2003, 05:57 AM
Very cool...!

Mylenium
09-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi Amorano,

Nice thing! Exactly what I was after! Anywhere to download it? Is it !00% compatible with L.J.Lapre's syntax? Back then I played a lot with his program and created quite a few custom files.... Your plug might be just the chance to dig them out again.

Mylenium

amorano
09-01-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Hi Amorano,

Nice thing! Exactly what I was after! Anywhere to download it? Is it !00% compatible with L.J.Lapre's syntax? Back then I played a lot with his program and created quite a few custom files.... Your plug might be just the chance to dig them out again.

Mylenium

Don't have it up anywhere quite yet, holiday weekend and all, still needs a few days worth of hacking around.

Mr. Lapre's syntax was almost 100% copied the first time around, however, I decided to revamp the commands to use mostly non-alphanumeric ones (i.e. A-Z and a-z are free for rules).

It is a simple matter to convert what you have in his cmd structure to the one I use. I will most likely port a bunch of the original .ls files for example rule strings to play with.

I am attempting to figure out a good way of making a demo version. Most likely it will be 100% functional but will be limited to a certain number of recursions/no mutations/ possibly limited to 5 or so rules.

I will keep you guys updated, should be sometime this week.

scottn
09-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Sounds very cool, keep us in the loop