PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners insurance (USA/California) company recommendation

inquisitive
09-14-2009, 02:47 AM
Hi,

I wanted to find out if any of you have any recommendations on what company to use for homeowners insurance (USA/California).

I am looking to protect my LW9, VT5 and related items/software. Most likely will need to switch my auto insurance to the new company as well. Seems no matter what company I research... all seem to have horror stories.

What do you guys use? and if you had to use it already - how responsive were they?

Thank you

radams
09-14-2009, 03:16 AM
Well, welcome to the US insurance racket...I won't call it a business, since they all like to play their customers...

Sign the contract, but if you need to use any of them, they will make your life a living hell, or just not be helpful.

Liberty Mutual, seems to have a better rep in being realistic,

Stay away from State Farm, and other large companies, they like to screw you when it comes down it...from personal experience, and then they drop you...even Nationwide, wanted to drop me, (the company I got after state farm) because I had made a previous claim with State Farm, now how screwed up is that...they didn't have to pay or do anything....

Be safe, and put additional riders on your policy for your computer gear...both hardware and software...

Keep meticulous logs/reciepts of everything!!!.and keep them Off site.

I had a water main break in the house, and flooded my house, destroying everything...all my systems, backups, etc.

I have a $10,000 rider on my policy, Note that some policies don't cover any computers or do so with a $5,000 limit...you will need to add your additional amounts and coverage as a rider.

I lost over $25,000 plus 10 years worth of work...and I'm still arguing with the insurance company, State Farm about getting my things replaced..and the flood happened in july of 07...nice guys ;) right ?

Cheers,

inquisitive
09-14-2009, 03:59 AM
Thank you for taking the time to write the post.

dweinkauf
09-14-2009, 06:50 AM
I've had very good luck with State Farm. A couple of months ago, an uninsured driver rear ended my Prius (her fifth accident). Since her insurance company wouldn't pay, State Farm paid over $9,000 in towing and repair bills without batting an eyelash. My agent also did all the paperwork for me so all I had to do was pick up the car when it was repaired. I also had another claim that was also paid without any questions and no increase in premiums. Ray is right about getting riders in your policy for your equipment. I have a rider for that purpose and another liability rider for my role as president of a non-profit.

PIZAZZ
09-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Be careful when using home owners insurance to cover business related equipment. As soon as the insurance company hears you are using in a business situation they can and most likely will deny coverage on a claim. The fine print can be very tricky here.

Over the last 24 years in business, I have learned that insurance is a necessary evil. Make sure you have the right coverage. One thing you don't want to do, just to save a few bucks, is try to "get by". It will bite you when you need the insurance coverage the most.

I would suggest finding an independent agent that sells commercial insurance. A good insurance agent should be able to classify you appropriately and find you decent coverage for both your business liability and equipment. Keep in mind if the bid comes back as 10k for the year, well then it is better to just take the risk of losing the VT and replacing it out of pocket.

On the State Farm opinion, I hear Ray's pain since my parents just now completed a rebuild of their house after Hurricane Ike. State Farm took care of them finally but it was after tons of back and forth. State Farm and Farmer's both have been great to me in my businesses and claims. Everyone's experience will be different though.

dweinkauf
09-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Jef is right about commercial insurance. Actually, I forgot that the insurance on my equipment wasn't a rider, but a separate commercial insurance policy with State Farm. My liability insurance is a rider to my home insurance.

radams
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Just one other comment,

Yes, work with a good agent...
Note Though: your agent has little to no influence when you have a claim.

I had a great agent and friend with State Farm...but it didn't keep State Farm from screwing with me.

And I'm not the only one this has happened to.

So be forewarned.

They give you great people upfront to sign you up...but when it comes to fulfill the contract...be prepared, for they will mess with you...know your policie's rights and their outs.

And do all that you can to limit your risk...and protect yourself both from the accidents, thefts, and the insurance company.

Keep photos and reciepts of all your stuff.
I also recommend making copies of reciepts since on so many the ink just vanishes (there should be a law against that!).

Be prepared that the insurance company will pay you only a small amount towards replacement cost (get replacement costs!!!). So you will be out of pocket for anything you need..and then you get to wait for the insurance company to reimburse you...also note that if they find that you could buy it cheaper...they will only give you the money they could have purchased it..and not what you purchased it for.

Even thou you have the right to choose your own contractors and vendors.
Insurance companies will attempt to only pay what their contactors or vendors would charge...Note: stay away from their contractors and vendors..cause they work only for the insurance company NOT you.

Can you tell I've been screwed over a few times :)...?
So really know and understand your rights, risks, and limitations.
Get everything in writing from the insurance company ..and if you don't understand what they wrote...don't just settle for someone's definition...have them write it out as well so that there is NO misunderstanding.
Sign and Date it as well!!!!

Cheers,

Riff_Masteroff
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
yes, what a scam, the insurance industry. Last week, a law that requires condominium insurance in Florida went into effect. The State Farm insurance agent absolutely refused to allow me to view the contract before purchase. All verbal promises, nothing allowed in writing until after I handed the cash over to the crooks.

mattclary
09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I've had very good luck with State Farm.

Ditto. Been using them for years, always been great to work with.

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 10:24 AM
i have also had nothing but good experiences with state farm.

dweinkauf
09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Ray is right about getting everything in writing with pictures, etc.. Ironically, my State Farm agent insisted on this and instructed me to get all that information along with serial numbers. He put me through a lot of work, but I know it will be worth it should anything happen.

When my Prius was rear ended, State Farm recommended a dealer close by for repairs (across the street from the Toyota dealer where I bought the car) even though Pennsylvania law lets me select any place I choose. The shop did an outstanding job - best body work any of my vehicles ever had. State Farm also insisted on paying the bill up front and collecting from the other driver later. When the other driver came up uninsured, State Farm didn't bat an eyelash. They took care of everything. All I had to do was pick the vehicle up when it was done - no paper work, nothing.

Hi Adam - glad to see you're still active in the forums. I may be in Xenia around October 6 for my 69th birthday the next day. Perhaps we can get together so I can see what you're up to these days.

wacom
09-15-2009, 11:01 AM
If you are in or have been in the military, or your folks were in the military, you might want to look into joining USAA credit union (https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_logon/Logon). If you haven't heard of it then it's probably because you're not in the service or close to someone who is.

They are great for a lot of things- and one of the most highly rated companies when it comes to insurance. Amica is also highly rated esp. when it comes to claims. However, you can only join if your parents or spouse are already members (and connected to the military).

There is no point in getting insurance if the claims adjusters are a-holes. Everyone here is saying state farm is great, and maybe they are, but there have been numerous charges against them when it comes to claims on home and renters insurance- many of them seem down right criminal. Just my opinion though...

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi Adam - glad to see you're still active in the forums. I may be in Xenia around October 6 for my 69th birthday the next day. Perhaps we can get together so I can see what you're up to these days.

hey dave,
i actually tried sending you a PM the other day, but my internet crashed so i dont know if it sent or not. if you got it, just shoot me one back with the details of when you'll be in the area.