PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a crisis here...

Serling
09-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Recently installed LightWave 9.6 64-bit on new Quad core machine with Quadro FX 560 video card and 8 GBs of ram, running Vista 64 Home Premium. Can't get QuickTime movies to load anymore (they could on old machine and can on my 32-bit laptop running same OS).

Is there a setting I need to tweak to get these QT files to load again?

Thanks.

dballesg
09-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Hi,

Your problem it's simply that there is not Quicktime version for 64 bits (Apple's fault).

You can load .mov files on Vista 64 using LW 32 bits.

David

Serling
09-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Sorry, I guess I'm not getting why an 8-bit RGB QT file can't import into LightWave 64-bit. What difference does whether QuickTime is 32 or 64 bit have to do with output files that are 8-bit RGBs?

Serling
09-13-2009, 07:25 AM
As a test, I exported a QT file that wouldn't load into LW 9.6 as an uncompressed AVI file (export was done using QT Pro 7.6.4).

The AVI file loaded into LW as an animation without a problem.

Not sure I understand why LW is suddenly picky about QT files.

3DGFXStudios
09-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Like David said there isn't a 64bit version of Quicktime so it isn't Lightwave fault. And it doesn't have anything to do with the movie being 8bit. It's just that there isn't a 64bit version. And it's not smart to work with movies in the first place. Always use image sequences. Tga or tiff work great for most things. You can use quicktime on LW 32bit on a 64bit machine.

UnCommonGrafx
09-13-2009, 08:02 AM
There is no 64bit codec for qt on the windows platform.
Once you are on the 64bt path, to use qt you have to downshift to 32bit. As was stated, this is the result of an Apple decision somewhere along the line.

Hit this last week...

Jockomo
09-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Probably at the same place in the line where they decided to only let Macs write prores files.

They probably think this will force people into buying their products. Funny... it has the exact opposite effect on me.

Matt
09-13-2009, 09:31 AM
They probably think this will force people into buying their products. Funny... it has the exact opposite effect on me.

Me too. I don't understand why they won't do a 64bit version, there's nothing stopping them.

blondimage
09-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi

There is no 'proper' QT 64bit. However if you do a google search you'll find a quicktime alternative which is useable on 64bit machines. It's the only way of using QT on 64bit as far as I know.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm

3DGFXStudios
09-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi

There is no 'proper' QT 64bit. However if you do a google search you'll find a quicktime alternative which is useable on 64bit machines. It's the only way of using QT on 64bit as far as I know.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/quicktime_alternative.htm

the normal qt 32bit works also on 64bit systems, of course not in 64bit software.

Serling
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Like David said there isn't a 64bit version of Quicktime so it isn't Lightwave fault.

I wasn't blaming anyone. I simply wanted to know why QT files-which could load into LW 32-bit couldn't load into LW 64-bit. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

And it doesn't have anything to do with the movie being 8bit. It's just that there isn't a 64bit version.

64-bit version of what? The QT player? QT codecs? Is LightWave using the QT codecs to interpret the QT output files for import? Specifics, please.

And it's not smart to work with movies in the first place. Always use image sequences. Tga or tiff work great for most things.

Ironically, lossless QT Animation files - until I installed LW 9.6 64-bit were working just fine for EVERYTHING. (Sure seemed smart to me).

So now I either have to work with the huge file outputs of tif or tga sequences, (which - as implied by your own post - don't work for everything) or install LW 32-bit along side my LW 64-bit. Anyone else have a dual 32/64-bit installation of LW running on the same 64-bit system?

Thanks for any help you can offer with regards to that last question.

Serling
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Solution (for now) was to install the 32-bit version alongside the 64-bit version and will use 32-bit for surfacing (when needed). They seem to be playing nicely together. Thanks.