PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard 64-bit, Windows 64-bit, LightWave 64-bit

precedia
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
For the curious....

Attached is a screenshot showing Snow Leopard booted into its 64-bit kernel. Parallels Desktop 4.0 running a copy of Windows Vista 64-bit. LightWave 3D 64-bit running inside Parallels. All 8 cores of my Mac Pro being used by Windows Vista 64-bit for a render.

Quite the amazing stack of software; and it appears to all work.

I wrote more details in the LW-Mac thread.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101933

Daniel

cc3d
09-13-2009, 05:46 AM
That's a lot of effort to run the 'dreaded' Vista on the indefectible Mac! It certainly can't be efficient.

Here's a MAc running in Vista under VMware. Why? I don't know. I did it to prove it could be done.

http://www.tccook.com/library/OSXvm1.jpg

precedia
09-13-2009, 08:48 PM
That's a lot of effort to run the 'dreaded' Vista on the indefectible Mac! It certainly can't be efficient.

Actually, it is quite efficient for raw rendering (not OpenGL based work), rendering in 64-bit LightWave for Win64 at almost the speed of native Windows.

In the Mac thread I give my reasoning; 1) defects in LightWave 9.6 for Mac, 2) needing 64-bit for high-resolution print renders, and 3) not wanting to lose my Mac work environment. I get the best of both worlds. Greedy. I know. And it works.

I am hoping LightWave 9.6.1 for Mac and the associated 64-bit version allows me to toss Windows completely, but I am not holding my breath.

Daniel

cc3d
09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Not likely even near the speed of native windows in an emulated environment. It will never happen.

I've got Macs mixed into my render and workstation office [for Xcode development] and for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would consider using Macs over windows boxes, especially in a professional enviroment. The O/S lacks features lynux had 4 years ago, they network like **** and crash just as much as any PC around. That's not worth the 300% markup for sure. The virus propoganda doesn't work either. If you have Macs without an anti-virus app, you're asking for it.

I am not anti-Mac, I just hate to waste money.