PDA

View Full Version : LW 9 to rhino, how to have the model right way up in Rhino?

vincent1
09-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Greetings,

Is there a way for LW to export a file that will scale and rotate the model to suit the world axes of Rhino?

At the moment i'm using Wavefront obj file format to export from LW but the model ends up on its side and way too small in Rhino.

Any export plugin for LW 9.6 that will allow better export options?

Thanks.

vincent1
09-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Forgot to mention, I need to export quads, not triangles. LW's 3ds exporter has the export options I need, but it will only export triangles.

Tripling my model is not an option for me. Thanks.

Dexter2999
09-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Vincent- I've never used Rhino but if your model is "on it's side" then it sounds like Rhino has a different navigation system. In LW, X- left to right, Y= up and down, and Z= depth or forward and back because you are looking at a computer monitor. Rhino sounds like it is using the navigation system like AutoCAD. Where they think like a draftsman looking at a piece of paper. The Z axis for them is like the model coming up out of the table.

So, if you understand this you should be able to just go to your side view of your model and rotate everything 90 degrees with the R key.

Your model in LW is built in relationship to the grid you have selected. If your model is too small in Rhino then your grid size or scale is out of whack. Look at the desired scale size in Rhino and start with a similar sized scale in LW. For an object you have already made, I'd try zooming out until the grid is the proper scale then press "SHIFT H" to Scale the object up to the proper size.

I can't help with the quads/tri's problem.

Hope these suggestions help.

archijam
09-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Rhino should import lwo. Will check later.

In the other direction, from rhino to lw, the obj at least also has a y-up option you should tick..

Dexter is right about the scale, make sure you change the rhino settings to meters or so...

Edit: if you have sub-ds they will probably come in as tris. To get around this, freeze that part of the mesh before export.

vincent1
09-13-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi Dexter, Archijam,

Thanks for the input. It has helped me to clarify what is needed to help solve my problem.

After further experimentation with your suggestions; setting the unit of measurement in LW to metres has solved the size problem when exported to Rhino.

The 3DS export plugin in LW has the axes rotation feature I need but it will only export tris with a limit of 65 thousand polygons; which is pretty much useless in my situation.

So what I need now is a wavefront exporter in LW with the axes rotation feature and no limit on the number of polygons it can export.

Any such plugin?

Some info:
I am embarking on an eye-candy artbook that will showcase 2d and 3d artwork created exclusively with reasonably affordable software; hence I'm using LW and rhino.

Why not exclusively LW or Rhino? I'm an advanced modeler obsessed with highly detailed models.

Rhino NURBS are much more efficient at modelling a part with 20 types of holes and vents.

LW is much faster at more flowing and organic parts.

Rhino does not translate and export NURBS meshes very well; that's why I need to render from Rhino using a third party renderer which has a plugin for Rhino.

So I'm hoping someone can help me solve this export issue.

Thanks again.

Preview of one of my models:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7158/genesisjune14.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/i/genesisjune14.jpg/)

virtualcomposer
09-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I wish Rhino was Mac compatible. Is there a program like Rhino for Mac???

archijam
09-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Rhino for mac is in advanced beta, quite usable. I start it up daily, it is on a monthly update/download new working version schedule.

You need to be a rhino owner to join the beta afaik.