PDA

View Full Version : No material nodes in node editor

azrafox
09-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Hi, just a quick question. I'm working through the 24hr Lightwave Training videos on the Newtek website, and I'm following the tutorial to create a glass object using the dielectric node. My problem is, when I go to add a node, there is no category for Materials (between Layers and Math). Since I cannot continue the tutorial without access to the dielectric node in the node editor, can anyone tell me why this might be the case?

Thanks!

Azra~

Kuzey
09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Are you using the 9.6 or 9.3 version. Also, if you are on a Mac and have both 9.3 & 9.6 installed and have one set of preferences...then they could be interfering with each other.

Kuzey

azrafox
09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the reply.

How would I find this information? The 'about' option tells me its v9, build 998 (Mac32) but I can't find any reference to whether it may be 9.3 or 9.6.

Also, I am using a Mac but I haven't installed Lightwave previously, this is the only version I'm using.

Azra~

Kuzey
09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I have build 1539 so it looks like you are using LW9.3 :D

Kuzey

azrafox
09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the info!

I'm guessing the dielectric node is only available using 9.6, so I'll go ahead and upgrade as soon as I can. Thanks!

Azra~

BeeVee
09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
No, build 998 is v9.0 so you are still running the old CFM version, which is you are on an Intel Mac means you are rendering at a third of the speed you could be; you don't have all the advances to radiosity LightWave has made over the 9 series; you don't have the new lights; the new cameras or even the new scripts like RenderQ or Package Scene. Not to mention the near-gigabyte of additional content with 9.6. On the other hand you do have several hundred more bugs than those of us on 9.6... ;)

B
PS. All of the other versions in the 9 series have been free updates, so there is no reason not to have them. Just sign in to your account at http://register.newtek.com and go to the My Downloads page.

azrafox
09-11-2009, 02:15 PM
wow, I never realised this. Thanks for the info!

I'm downloading the latest build of 9.6 now :)

BeeVee
09-11-2009, 02:27 PM
You're getting the UB version, right? If you have commercial plugins you *might* still need the CFM version if the authors haven't made UB versions, but otherwise that's the one to go for... ;)

B

azrafox
09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks, but I don't have any commercial plugins ^^ I'm still relatively new to the program to be honest.

Azra~