PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request- Datalink MUST Support Daktronics DSTI

ZachSchuster
09-11-2009, 08:38 AM
I'll put this bluntly. The advertised feature for Datalink that it supports Daktronics scoreboard controller signals is bogus. Here is why:

1. Each controller model has slightly different protocols, and each time their are firmware updates for the controller, the scoreboard itself must have a similar firmaware upgrade so it can understand the signals. Granted, Datalink takes RS-232 protocls, but even those protocols vary across controller model. This is spoken by a knowledgable Daktronics engineer. So while Datalink may work with one specific model of controller, it may not or will not work with others.

2. Daktronics does not permit third party devices to be attached to their controllers. That is what their DSTI computer software is for. Plugging in third party devices will void the warranty (spoken directly by Daktronics).

I have spoken with Newtek (Zane, I believe, and some others) about this, but they deny that Datalink does not work with all controllers or that plugging in any device to a controller will void the warranty. With all due respect, I will listen to Daktronics on what will void their warranties.

I had an opportunity to speak one on one with a Tricaster customer in Texas who did purchase Datalink with the understanding that it would work with his Daktronics controller. It does not, and Newtek suggested he get a refund... from DAKTRONICS.

Excuse me? The documentation for Datalink really makes it sound plug and play. It is not. There are many other technical variables involved. The advertising and documentation absolutely do not represent the product accurately.

It seems to me that Newtek and Daktronics need to get on the same page. They have a good working relationship in other areas (Daktronics installs Tricasters in many sports venues with video boards). Surely they could make this work.

So many customers are wanting a working Datalink for their Tricasters, and it seems to me that the software is not living up to that promised feature.

Daktronics is developing a multi-port DSTI output box to bridge the controllers for other RTD uses (like CBS and FOX for scorebugs). It will mean that the converter box is needed, but then Datalink would work for everyone... which is what it is advertised to do now.

I feel that is a natural progression for Datalink to support the DSTI feed for TV purposes.

Some have had success with Datalink, and good for them. I would be interested in seeing what the success rate is among customers.

Tricaster is a great system, and Datalink is a great product in theory, but it must work properly to be advertised as it is now.

Paul Lara
09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
What a fantastic idea - this has been submitted to Engineering as a DataLink feature request.

Greater compatibility is always a wonderful thing.

ACross
09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Actually, just to clarify things a bit ... we do not support any of the general Dactronics feeds for the exact reasons that you correctly note (much to our frustration.) We do however currently already support the Basketball DSTI feed and are looking at supporting the others as soon as is physically possible.

For what it is worth, anyone who ever wants to can actually really easily extend DataLink to support additional formats if they know some very basic C.

Andrew Cross, Ph.D
Executive VP, Engineering.

ps. If anyone commonly works with DSTI feeds, or has technical information on any other protocols that we might want to looka t supporting, drop me a message.

ZachSchuster
09-14-2009, 09:11 PM
ACross,

Thanks for your input on this. I will PM you with contact info for the engineer I spoke to. It seems to me that a collaborative effort between Newtek and Daktronics (assuming that is not already happening) would be the best way to go with this.

Thanks,

Zach

ACross
09-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Zach,

Thank you very much for your help on this, it is truly appreciated. The good news is that we are already working with Daktronics on this and are collaborating with the team building their DSTI conversion box. Hopefully you will see something new here soon.

Andrew

chrislundie
03-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Any news on this front yet? I need the functionality and want it, but this process seems far to slow. Any ideas of when the program will be updated?

ACross
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
In general we try to avoid talking about future products. I can however say that Datalink is under active development.

Andrew

ted
03-07-2010, 10:20 AM
That's great news. Since the TriCaster family has been adopted so heavily by the sports community and Daktronics is the leader in scoreboards, this is a big bonus for that NFL level look TriCaster can give.
Thanks Andrew!

cpremjee
02-21-2015, 03:23 PM
What a fantastic idea - this has been submitted to Engineering as a DataLink feature request.

Greater compatibility is always a wonderful thing.

Hi I was wondering if there is any further progress on the development of Daktronics DSTI link to Datalink?
I am currently working on a Swim aquatics meet that's going to take place in April here in Toronto. I will be using a Tricaster 455 with LiveText 2.0 (2.74 current version) with DataLink 3.0
Here is the scenerio:
DSTI is connected to a Quantum Aqua timer system. (The scoreboard is a Daktronics video board controlled by DMP7000)
I would like to linkup (using Datalink) live data off the aquatics timing via DSTI into LiveText. So my question Is this something Newtek can help me with or who I should I speak at Daktronics. Cheers. :)

Chetan