PDA

View Full Version : Help! What Guitar is this?

Etch
09-10-2009, 02:14 PM
So I went by one of the local flea markets to day just to browse and came out with an interesting looking electric guitar. I know a lot of the artists here are into guitars so I figured this might be a good place to check.

It says "Prestige" at the top, but I haven't been able to find it browsing their website or google.

Also, all the knobs are missing. Is there an easy way to find out what they all do? I don't think I'm familiar enough with guitars to what they all might do.

biliousfrog
09-10-2009, 03:06 PM
It's a generic Japanese guitar from the 60's made to replicate popular guitars of the era. In this instance it looks like it's copying a Burns mostly.

There were loads of these types of guitars, most made in the same few factories. Some are very collectable, most aren't and end up hanging on restaurant and bar walls. My guess is that it isn't going to make you rich but it looks to be in reasonable cosmetic condition and, as long as the neck is straight, might be a nice guitar to play.

I found some pics of two other Prestige guitars...

http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_viewer.pl?prestige&japanese_guitar_prestige

http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_viewer.pl?guitar_prestigewhite&japanese_guitar_prestigewhite

It's difficult to tell what the controls are. The ON/OFF switches are either to turn the pickups on or off or to make then in/out of phase...most likely on/off. The rotary knobs usually control volume and tone so I'd guess that it has a volume for each pickup and a master tone.

What's the packaging with it?...looks like a label, manual or something?

jaxtone
09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Etch!

I had one of these myself in the 60īs and itīs the same model with buttons and microphones but strange enough my guitar wasnīt called "Prestige" even if it looks exactly the same.

As I remember it was a terrible piece of wood to play on since the level between the neck and the strings were almost 10 miles high and the guitar felt more like an axe than a guitar. But anyway I was proud as hell of it and I guess it and painted it in psychedic color patterns. It would probably still have excisted if it wasnīt for a certain live concert with "The Who" in 1968 were I went too inspired by Pete Townsend and smashed the guitar in pieces the night after the concert...

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
nice guitar , generally prestiage guitars have a nice sound , Question how spaced out would the strings be ?the knobs will be easy to work out, generally what biliousfrog says tone , phase , you may have the ability to channel the pickups or even reverb/distort ,but if it was made in the 60s which i doubt it was it may not ,it looks more like early 70s "think glam rock" i do belive its from the Ibanez range maybe wrong the where slightly more pointer "hard to tell from pict" , i found an original LesP in a skip about 7 years ago, major work , neck was warped , pickups missing and needed re-freted , but its mint now and sold for Ģ500 ,great profit

Either way you have a new toy / project to play with it

heres some of mine and my wall display "student days" . EDIT oh and the acoustic with the stickers "should see it now" is a Yamha FG-280 which is worth a few bob but i personalized it , SOILDER IRON lol .

http://file041b.bebo.com/5/large/2008/05/23/19/3924954482a7819325944l.jpg
http://file041b.bebo.com/5/large/2008/05/23/19/3924954482a7819326263l.jpg

Peace

Etch
09-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Biliousfrog: Thanks for finding all that out for me! I'm glad to know it's not something more "collector". I would feel bad about testing my modifications on something special.

Jaxtone: I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. Hopefully I'll enjoy this one as much.

OnlineRender: Ya this is definitely turning into a project... I've already fixed up the machine heads, the neck is warped, and the paint job is kind of dinged up around the sides.

That would be freaking sweet if the dials turned out to have some affects to them and not just volume. It would make me even more excited about this guitar :D

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 04:08 PM
That would be freaking sweet if the dials turned out to have some affects to them and not just volume. It would make me even more excited about this guitar :D

I wouldn't hold my breath lol , spank that guitar up , a nice *****in paintjob / design will look excellent ,you should pre-render your design in LW .

the question you really want to know is it worth money??
in short "YES" all guitars are worth money .

Ive been trying to buy a piano for weeks now , i saw one in the local paper for Ģ50 and just tunned , but i couldn't get a van quick enough , i also have 2 violins if anybody wants one ....

Etch
09-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath lol , spank that guitar up , a nice *****in paintjob / design will look excellent ,you should pre-render your design in LW .

the question you really want to know is it worth money??
in short "YES" all guitars are worth money .

Ive been trying to buy a piano for weeks now , i saw one in the local paper for Ģ50 and just tunned , but i couldn't get a van quick enough , i also have 2 violins if anybody wants one ....

Ya I was thinking of painting it wit some sort of checkerboard that fades into a spiderweb, with some creepy looking spider coming over the arm rest.

2 violins! Nice. I went to the local music shop last week to see about upgrading from my $100 violin but they said I can't sign their contract till I'm 21. So much for legal adult.

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 04:40 PM
i cant play violin just aquired them over the years , i can play g-tonk ,piano and some sax

FAV song on

Guitar - "would say pink floyd wish you were here but atm its " Black Crowes " she talks to angels " or PokerFace by Ladyareyouramangaga - acoustic

Piano - lost my touch a bit - queen , "edit" thats not a Queen song more a reference ..

PS for piano "watch " TIM MICHIN , seen him at Fringe Festival , amazing / comical

Sax - strangers in the night or some shinnzle

Etch
09-11-2009, 12:39 AM
i cant play violin just aquired them over the years , i can play g-tonk ,piano and some sax

FAV song on

Guitar - "would say pink floyd wish you were here but atm its " Black Crowes " she talks to angels " or PokerFace by Ladyareyouramangaga - acoustic

Piano - lost my touch a bit - queen , "edit" thats not a Queen song more a reference ..

PS for piano "watch " TIM MICHIN , seen him at Fringe Festival , amazing / comical

Sax - strangers in the night or some shinnzle

I just checked out that acoustic version of Poker Face. MUCH BETTER than the original imo.

I can't actually play any of my favorite songs on an instrument but if I could it would be.

Guitar: Black Friday Rule by Flogging Molly

Violin: Partita in E

biliousfrog
09-11-2009, 03:30 AM
If you want some advice on restoring the guitar and making it payable, head over to projectguitar.com and sign up to the forums. I visited a few years ago for some advice on a respray and I'm now on my 3rd complete build and just fixed a broken headstock on a local guy's Ibanez JEM. As long as you're patient and willing to learn you shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest issue with those guitars is always the neck. It's difficult to tell from that pic but it looks like a flat-sawn piece of a cheap mahogany species or even something softer. After decades of temperature changes and pressure from the strings they almost always twist and/or bow. The truss rod is designed to pull the neck straight (backwards) but sometimes it isn't enough to fix serious neck problems and a reset is required. This is a major project involving removing the fingerboard and flattening the surface of the neck that it fits to, personally I'd rather build a complete new neck from better woods with a decent trussrod.

Before you do anything I'd suggest heading over to project guitar and asking for info on the guitar and whether it's worth persuing or selling on as-is. There are guys on there that collect vintage Asian guitars such as Kay's and Teisco's, they might have some more info for you and advice on how to proceed. Someone might have an old neck for that guitar that's in good condition or might even buy it off you for spares allowing you to buy something in better playing condition.

Here's my current project (on hold because I'm busy): http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs185.snc1/6175_1109269684817_1019093343_1850692_8053673_n.jp g

...and my others:
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs032.snc1/3227_1071433418934_1019093343_1745983_1467239_n.jp g

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs032.snc1/3227_1071433738942_1019093343_1745990_1493411_n.jp g

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs032.snc1/3227_1071433538937_1019093343_1745986_1025764_n.jp g

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs032.snc1/3227_1071433618939_1019093343_1745988_2999803_n.jp g

jaxtone
09-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Biliousfrog!

Can you tell some more about the white Fender Strat on that picture? Is that also something you build up from pieces or is it an original construction? In that case from which decade?

meshpig
09-13-2009, 01:52 AM
The ON/OFF switches are either to turn the pickups on or off or to make then in/out of phase..

In those days it was called lead, rhythm and bass.

- Is the guitar dead yet? Furk, I was watching the all night rock show on the NPB ( national public broadcaster) last night and it made me feel embarrassed to have ever been either young or a muso.

Stale food in the refrigerator...

biliousfrog
09-14-2009, 02:29 AM
Biliousfrog!

Can you tell some more about the white Fender Strat on that picture? Is that also something you build up from pieces or is it an original construction? In that case from which decade?

It was an early 90's/late 80's japanese 'contemporary' strat. Originally it had a black scratchplate with a humbucker (with coil-tap) and two singlecoils. All of the hardware is 60's spec and the ash body is translucent blonde. Basically a 60's reissue with modern 'upgrades'.

I've played with the electronics a lot over the years, it currently has three Fender Lace gold's, single volume and single tone in a 60's tortoiseshell scratchplate. The trem is blocked off with an ash offcut.

jaxtone
09-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow... To me it looks like a much older piece and that makes me feel better, so if you ever plan to get rid of it just give me a signal since I am planning to buy three or four new Strats for a major gig in November! Need them for different numbers since I havenīt got time to tune my one and only Strat in different open tuned positions for the bottleneck show offs as it is now.

I guess I have added this image of my three little darlings in another thread but attach it again just because I am a proud parent to these six stringed cuties... :hey:

It was an early 90's/late 80's japanese 'contemporary' strat. Originally it had a black scratchplate with a humbucker (with coil-tap) and two singlecoils. All of the hardware is 60's spec and the ash body is translucent blonde. Basically a 60's reissue with modern 'upgrades'.

I've played with the electronics a lot over the years, it currently has three Fender Lace gold's, single volume and single tone in a 60's tortoiseshell scratchplate. The trem is blocked off with an ash offcut.

biliousfrog
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
No way, it's a keeper :D...unless you fancied a trade with that pretty sonic blue strat ;)

jaxtone
09-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Well I guess you are a true lover of nice guitars... but the sonic blue Strat is a life saver on gigs. I have added a Floyd Rose string and tremolo lock gadget that keeps it tuned whether I dance on it or burn it...

No way, it's a keeper :D...unless you fancied a trade with that pretty sonic blue strat ;)