PDA

View Full Version : Fleebay Outbid for 3D Arsenal "arrgh" $7.80 ,legal questions ?

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
While i was in the hospital / running around like a head-less chicken i forgot all about my ebay account , i had bid on 3DA with 7.5 LW , i was a bit sceptucal about the bid " he had no sales / purchases " , but i bid $6 just out of interest more than anything ,but i forgot about it and got outbid by $1.80 "ARRRRRRGH" not to self ebay snipper next time ......

anyway i just wanted to know some legal info about buying software via fleebay .

do you own the software /licence out-right ?
can you use 3DA to buy Core at the discounted rate ?

Peace

OR

Zane Condren
09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
NewTek permits users to sell their 3D Arsenal license's at anytime. If the 3D Arsenal version you buy used comes with LightWave 7.5 you are entitled to the upgrade price to LW9/CORE. We treat you the same as the original owner. Provided that the seller contacts NewTek Customer Service and transfers ownership to you. There is no cost to transfer ownership.

biliousfrog
09-10-2009, 09:03 AM
I bought Adobe Production Premium from ebay once (UK) for 1000. The seller was a regular software seller, mostly music apps such as Sound Forge etc., and the pics showed it all boxed up, unopened and there were several available. It was quite a good deal, about 800 cheaper at the time, so I gave it a punt. I checked with the seller first and he assured me that they were all genuine, he usually sold music software but he got a deal on some Adobe apps.

When it arrived the box was opened and missing the outer sleeve. I checked inside and all the manuals were still cellophane wrapped so I sent the seller a message asking why it was opened. His response was, 'That's how I got them, the wholesaler said that they're all unregistered, legal versions etc.'...He was quite convincing but I wanted to double-check so I phoned Adobe. The serials were already registered and they were also academic licenses.

What happened next was a bit of a nightmare. The seller said that he'd refund me if I sent it back (which cost me 20) so I packaged it up in the same box he'd sent to me and the same bubblewrap etc. When he recieved it he claimed that I'd tried to rip him off by keeping some of the stuff that was in the box and refused to pay up. I'd paid with PayPal as usual but the protection was a bit useless because I could no longer prove that he'd sent illegal software.

After a couple of weeks of hassle I found his achiles heel...he told me at some point that he suffered with MS and sold software to make some extra cash. I told him that I'd shop him to the BSA if he didn't refund my money...which would probably result in legal proceedings...which would probably uncover his undeclared income and likely some benefit fraud. He paid up instantly.

I then bought it from a software vendor which happened to be based in my own town for 1400, I wish that I;d done that in the first place...I'll never attempt to buy software on ebay again...nightmare!

Zane Condren
09-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Remember if you are buying LightWave it will have to come with a Dongle.

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Remember if you are buying LightWave it will have to come with a Dongle.

Cheers , i'm mad i missed it , was a bargin , but again the person had no sales but had been a memeber since 2002 ? which i find hard to belive , oh well whats for you won't go past you .

Theres also a version of LW9 atm $34 + $34 postage incase anybody is interest , and the dude looks legit , images ,dongle ect .

PEACE >

OR

TimothyB
09-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I bought Adobe Production Premium from ebay once (UK) for 1000. The seller was a regular software seller, mostly music apps such as Sound Forge etc., and the pics showed it all boxed up, unopened and there were several available. It was quite a good deal, about 800 cheaper at the time, so I gave it a punt. I checked with the seller first and he assured me that they were all genuine, he usually sold music software but he got a deal on some Adobe apps.

When it arrived the box was opened and missing the outer sleeve. I checked inside and all the manuals were still cellophane wrapped so I sent the seller a message asking why it was opened. His response was, 'That's how I got them, the wholesaler said that they're all unregistered, legal versions etc.'...He was quite convincing but I wanted to double-check so I phoned Adobe. The serials were already registered and they were also academic licenses.

What happened next was a bit of a nightmare. The seller said that he'd refund me if I sent it back (which cost me 20) so I packaged it up in the same box he'd sent to me and the same bubblewrap etc. When he recieved it he claimed that I'd tried to rip him off by keeping some of the stuff that was in the box and refused to pay up. I'd paid with PayPal as usual but the protection was a bit useless because I could no longer prove that he'd sent illegal software.

After a couple of weeks of hassle I found his achiles heel...he told me at some point that he suffered with MS and sold software to make some extra cash. I told him that I'd shop him to the BSA if he didn't refund my money...which would probably result in legal proceedings...which would probably uncover his undeclared income and likely some benefit fraud. He paid up instantly.

I then bought it from a software vendor which happened to be based in my own town for 1400, I wish that I;d done that in the first place...I'll never attempt to buy software on ebay again...nightmare!

I had almost a nightmare issue, but luckily resolved quickly. I bought Adobe Production Premium CS3 suite from a website. Think it was $600. I can't remember all the details, but I went over every inch of their website for any hint of academic versions, but I think they even claimed they do not sell academic licenses.

I got the sealed dvd case promptly, but the first thing I did was call Adobe to confirm the serial numbers on the outside. They said they were legit, not registered, but was an academic license. When I told them my concern that I paid for a retail license, I was taken back when the Adobe employee said this was the same and not to worry, like go ahead and use it. Which I kind of agree, as I think the academic license now lets you use it for commercial purposes during school and after, plus you can upgrade to the next retail version, but I was bugged by the simple fact I was not a student at time of purchase.

I called the company and they simply said they were terribly sorry for this mix-up and will talk with their supplier, then conveniently claim it would be 4 weeks before they got anymore stock to replace it. To resolve the matter further, they offered a partial refund if I agreed to keep it, or send it back for a full refund (which they would cover the shipping cost). Whatever their game was, thankfully when caught they kept nice and just pleaded ignorance and quickly refunded my money.

I then spent weeks on ebay, watching sellers, their history, looking at their feedback, who gave the feedback, for what kind of items and what cost, did they sell software regularly, even looking at the pictures of bar codes to confirm it was not academic or requesting the photo.

In the end, I got the Production Premium CS3 for $1,000, no tax, for a was a sealed box with printed manuals. I communicated with the seller to make sure all was good and voiced my concern how fishy adobe software is online. At one point ebay did something stupid by blocking our questions to each other, a protection feature they called it, but I was a buyer with a completed auction, not bugging a seller about a live auction. When eBay did this to the seller, I was even more reassured when they went through the trouble of getting my phone number and contacting me personally so that I wouldn't worry after the sudden drop of communication thanks to ebay's doing.

TimothyB
09-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Cheers , i'm mad i missed it , was a bargin , but again the person had no sales but had been a memeber since 2002 ? which i find hard to belive , oh well whats for you won't go past you .

Theres also a version of LW9 atm $34 + $34 postage incase anybody is interest , and the dude looks legit , images ,dongle ect .

PEACE >

OR

Since it was so cheap, I probably would have taken the risk. If it was a no feedback seller and you were about to put down $500+ for software, which could end up being something academic, registered, or worse, then I'd probably shop around more. Like in my post above. When I bought an Adobe suite, I even checked who was giving feedback to them, and for what items. Like if the seller's feedback was built up by simple $1 auctions, then comes a big ticket item, that raises a red flag. Always a plus when the seller sells software often, so you can see real feedback if it was not advertised as promised. There are also chances an account is hacked, or fished. So it may appear to a be a trustworthy seller, but not anymore. Often a sign for that is if the seller has had no activity for years.

But I know how you feel when losing out to an auction due to a small outbid and you might not even put in your max bid yet. This happened to me recently. I've been collecting animation cels and after searching for 5 years I finally came across not one, but two cels of a scene on the top of my list from a single seller on ebay. I put a startering bid to put it in my account of about $130. I kept it low so bidders would not inflate the price needlessly. Though, I completely forgot lost it to one outbid of $5 or so, I was willing to go $400. It was already nicely framed and it sold for the cost it would take to normally frame it. I was kicking my self for weeks. And that same buyer that outbid me bought the 2nd near exact same cel for even cheaper.

Silkrooster
09-14-2009, 01:21 AM
Just keep in mind that if it sounds too good to be true, odds are it is.