PDA

View Full Version : 9: the movie

Exception
09-10-2009, 04:50 AM
What an awesome film. And what a great balance between suspense, story, creativity and excitement. Another great film by focus features (http://www.filminfocus.com/focusfeatures/film/9/).

I really loved it. Sure there were technical shortcomings and things that could stand improvement. But those are hard to focus on as the story takes you along and makes you part of that world. I also appreciated it wasn't overly sentimental, and it would let rest the emotions it had stirred.

biliousfrog
09-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I just watched the trailer again a few moments ago, looks great.

It's a really good year for original cinema with some new talent getting the chance to shine, Acker, Blomkamp and even Zowie Bowie showing that story really is more important than A-list 'actors', explosions and multi-million CG budgets.

I'm interested to see how that affects Cameron's Avatar, with a noticable shift away from visuals over substance he's heading in completely the opposite direction.

Andyjaggy
09-10-2009, 12:09 PM
you liked it? I was realy excited about it but have read some pretty awful reviews.... Maybe it's worth a shot anyway?

4dartist
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
We are going to see it tomorrow. I have no expectations at all thankfully.

Stooch
09-10-2009, 07:26 PM
... Blomkamp and even Zowie Bowie showing that story really is more important than A-list 'actors', explosions and multi-million CG budgets. .

hmm. last time i checked, blomkamp cant tell a difference between a good story and a hole in the ground...

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
hmm. last time i checked, blomkamp cant tell a difference between a good story and a hole in the ground...

that was deep ?

biliousfrog
09-11-2009, 03:36 AM
that was deep ?

The hole in the ground? :hey:

Riff_Masteroff
09-11-2009, 04:25 AM
I did see District 9 yesterday and was more than impressed.

I had to wait because I used one of two 'free' passes. They were blacked out by the movie theater chain until the show had run for a while. I got them simply by complaining earlier this year about what was called an 'IMAX' presentation of Star Trek. Btw, another great movie.

The '9' story, for me, underlined my view of the prevalent downside of human science and culture. People don't play chess, they purchase a highly decorated set, display them prominently and then hope that I will assume that the owner knows how to play the game. I do not now make that 'automatic' assumption. The surface of the earth is what (?), seventy percent water? And humans complain and whine that 'we' are running out of water. Same with energy problems. Our culture of tribes and war hasn't changed at all through out human history. People keep the company of cats, but don't listen to what they have to say.

Yes, good screenplay. I class it with the three percent of humanity that we all display but know nothing more of it.

caesar
09-11-2009, 09:45 PM
The surface of the earth is what (?), seventy percent water? And humans complain and whine that 'we' are running out of water.

Actually we are. Only 5% of that is not salt water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_water

*Pete*
09-12-2009, 06:15 AM
So Riff... how much does it cost to desalinate water? How much do you think it would cost to COMPLETELY remake/refurbish our energy infrastructure to accommodate our new energy systems? It's not that we CAN'T do it, it's the COST that makes it difficult.

there is even a technology existing that not only desalinates water, but produces energy while it does it....

dont remember what it was called anymore, but its one of the solar technologies (one of the cheapest ones, with mirrors heating a tower with saltwater/liquid salt),

cresshead
09-12-2009, 07:39 AM
there is even a technology existing that not only desalinates water, but produces energy while it does it....

dont remember what it was called anymore, but its one of the solar technologies (one of the cheapest ones, with mirrors heating a tower with saltwater/liquid salt),

some of the arab countries already have desalination plants working on a large enough scale to support cities/large areas.

ericsmith
09-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Actually we are. Only 5% of that is not salt water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_water

Uh, no.

The article states that In most developed countries, the water supplied to households, commerce and industry is all of drinking water standard, even though only a very small proportion (often 5% or less) is actually consumed or used in food preparation.

I'm not sure how you read this and came to the conclusion that 95% of the water on this planet is salt water. All it says is that 95% of the water that people pour out of their faucets is used for something other than consumption.

Eric

Stooch
09-12-2009, 09:50 AM
9 had very rushed character development and overall doesnt really have a beginning or conclusion. the conclusion just causes confusion and most of the time i was watching it i got the impression that the characters were obviously playing out a story that i wasnt seeing or finishing a story that i never got to see begin.

ending was... a wtf for me.

not sure about this one. i dont have as much problems with it as district 9 but i wouldnt rank it very high as a quality plot. If district 9s plot was dumb, then 9s plot was confused.

lesterfoster
09-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I just wanted to pass this contest on to the LW community. Come up with a character based on the movie “9”. Click on link’s below for details. I hope someone from this community wins.:thumbsup:

Http://www.dose.ca/contests/index.html
9 Contest: Create and upload your own 9 character for a chance to win a two-week internship at Starz Animation!
With our world ending, 9 were created to protect the future. The resilient tribe is in the fight of their life, and they are calling on YOU to help! Calling all animators, artists and creative minds: we need your help to create your own special character in the fight for survival. Submit your character creation along with a 200-word character bio for your chance to win the grand prize of a two-week internship at Starz Animation Studios in Toronto, ON. The grand prize comes with flights and hotel accommodation, plus enter to win 1 of 9 Dell Computers. All designs will be showcased on Dose.ca’s 9 microsite, and Starz Animation will pick the grand prize winner from the lot of them. So put your creative caps on, design away, and may the best character creation help our fight for the future. Enter now!

Http://www.dose.ca/contests/9/contest.html
No purchase necessary.The 9 Contest is open to all residents of Canada. The odds of winning are dependant upon the number of participants. One entry per person per day. Winners must correctly answer a skill-testing question. Contest begins August 28, 2009 and closes September 25, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. EDT. The Grand Prize has an approximate total retail value of $3000.00 CDN. Winner is not entitled to monetary difference between actual prize value and stated approximate prize value, if any. See contest rules for complete prizing details available online at www.dose.ca/contests/9/contest-rules.html

shrox
09-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I watched the trailer, The burlap or what ever coarse cloth they are trying to simulate does not look good to me, It looks like stretched polygons with a map rather than a burlap material making their bodies.

Riff_Masteroff
09-13-2009, 09:37 PM
So Riff... how much does it cost to desalinate water? How much do you think it would cost to COMPLETELY remake/refurbish our energy infrastructure to accommodate our new energy systems? It's not that we CAN'T do it, it's the COST that makes it difficult.

Megalodon, I guess my words didn't cause your mind's light bulb to brighten. I intended to 'bring to light' the unworkable and narrow context and reference framework of 'our' mass culture. In part, I think its been soiled by the greed of our wonderful 'energy' corporations. I did use human behavior, as rendered, by the movie and topic, District 9, as an example.

Example A: Times of Ben Franklin: do you really suppose that he would believe that the energy-electricity-lightning in the heavens was unusable for humans for all time? Would a Poor Richard's Almanac editorial proclaim that basic research should focus on whale oil rather than transmitting electricity around and along copper wires? On the topic of running insulated copper wires everywheres, would that fictitious editorial proclaim "How much do you think it would cost to COMPLETELY remake/refurbish our energy infrastructure to accommodate our new energy systems"?

http://sln.fi.edu/franklin/scientst/electric.html

Example B: Pie chart published in Scientific American magazine (Sept. 09 issue, page 40): The universe consists of 49% (dark-unknown) matter, 24% (dark-unknown) energy, 4% gas and .5% stars-planets-known matter. Its not 'just' that everything known involves plentiful energy (e=mc squared). Its that we humans are so ignorant about the other 95% of what is.

For me, and evidently just for me, the movie District 9 expressed that human real world science, education and politics is just terrible. Bad. No good. And then we humans complement ourselves on the subject of greatness. Sure there is some basic research accomplished worldwide. I do not believe its anywheres near enough. Bomb-making research, engineering and development probably exceeds those efforts by many orders of magnitude. I also believe that the US higher education system has been largely transformed into shallow trade schools for training future (dull and ignorant) corporate employees.

And, for sure, these thoughts could be applied to Newtek: Should people give up and marry the pervasive mediocrity of the factory's output, or should people embrace a small band of 3d conscientious objector programmers?

4dartist
09-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I almost fell asleep in 9. The big machine was cool looking, worth watching for the effects, but the end.. *yawn*.

shrox
09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Just so you know, "9" and "District 9" are two different movies...

4dartist
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Talking to me Shrox? I was talking about "9" because the thread is called "9: the movie"

shrox
09-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Talking to me Shrox? I was talking about "9" because the thread is called "9: the movie"

No, just some people were talking about the two movies in the same thread, and I got the impression someone mistook one for the other.

Riff_Masteroff
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
shrox, thats me! I didn't know that they were two different movies. Woo hoo

shrox
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
shrox, thats me! I didn't know that they were two different movies. Woo hoo

I didn't want to name any names...

Dexter2999
09-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I thought it was okay.