PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #55 - Back to school

Nowhere Man
09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #55 - Back to school
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:
1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7)

Subject - Back to school.

Anything related to either schools, unis, colleges (etc.) themselves or learning, teaching, training (etc.) in general (+of course all activities associated with "school days":hey:).
This subject includes, f.e., 'tools' of both teachers and students, school's specific furniture and accessories, writing instruments, school entertainment aso...

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday, 16th September, 22.00 UTC.

OnlineRender
09-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Shout ; Battle Royal

Nangleator
09-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Okay, I had an object in mind for the Anime challenge and didn't get around to it. It should still work quite well for this subject!

OnlineRender
09-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Okay, I had an object in mind for the Anime challenge and didn't get around to it. It should still work quite well for this subject!

For some reason i hear a Blue Peter presenter saying " And here's one i prepared earlier LOL " .

Nangleator
09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, this took about 48 minutes. There were a few false starts, and the pleating gave me fits. I successfully added thickness to the model, though, and I'm a bit proud of it.

I started with a cylinder, deleted most of it, did the work for the pleats, and did a radial array to make a circular skirt. Then it was just a matter of using Magnet to beat it into a girly shape.

I didn't spend much time texturing, but I fiddled with the lighting and rendering for a while to get decent reflections. Still not very happy with the render.

This is an item of back-to-school clothing, although you might not want your daughter going to whatever type of school would allow it!!

flakester
09-11-2009, 01:54 AM
Grand work there Nangleator, nice efficient model. :thumbsup:

Here's mine: What teacher would be without one of these? - A red biro!

57 minutes on the modelling, and about an hour for the layout. Model available as always if anyone wants it.

--
flakester

Nangleator
09-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Pretty darned efficient yourself, flakester! I looked at the render first and expected a far denser mesh, particularly on the cap.

AdamAvenali
09-11-2009, 07:14 AM
great stuff so far! shaping up to be a good challenge :thumbsup:

OnlineRender
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Well, this took about 48 minutes. There were a few false starts, and the pleating gave me fits. I successfully added thickness to the model, though, and I'm a bit proud of it.

I started with a cylinder, deleted most of it, did the work for the pleats, and did a radial array to make a circular skirt. Then it was just a matter of using Magnet to beat it into a girly shape.

I didn't spend much time texturing, but I fiddled with the lighting and rendering for a while to get decent reflections. Still not very happy with the render.

This is an item of back-to-school clothing, although you might not want your daughter going to whatever type of school would allow it!!

Damn nice bit of moddelin

OnlineRender
09-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Grand work there Nangleator, nice efficient model. :thumbsup:

Here's mine: What teacher would be without one of these? - A red biro!

57 minutes on the modelling, and about an hour for the layout. Model available as always if anyone wants it.

--
flakester

amazin not far away from photoreal

Kuzey
09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I finally found the time to jump in :hey:

Just what every young kid needs to be cool at school...a cow backpack.

Under 60 minutes.

Kuzey

JamesCurtis
09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Here's mine - A wire Spiral Notebook.

Took me awhile to figure out how to do the wire. Then I remembered I had the Quick Spring plugin. Just needed time to figure out the settings.

Under an hour for the modeling.

I know its not very imaginative but maybe I'll have time for another one.

Nangleator
09-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Hey, neat backpack! Are those things real? Or your design?

JamesCurtis, nice job of lining up the rings with the holes. That must have taken some math. Good job!

Kuzey
09-12-2009, 02:03 AM
Hey, neat backpack! Are those things real? Or your design?

Yes, they are real and I just found better reference photos...bummer :(

http://www.porterhousecrafts.com/media/images/product_large/KK-8075.jpg

I might try fiberFx for the render.

Kuzey

AdamAvenali
09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
haha i personally love the monkey backpack with a leash:

http://blissfullydomestic.com/wp-content/uploads/child-harness.jpg

OnlineRender
09-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I finally found the time to jump in :hey:

Just what every young kid needs to be cool at school...a cow backpack.

Under 60 minutes.

Kuzey

damn there goes my idea Pokomon bag ,nice model

Nangleator
09-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Aaargh!!

64 minutes... If I hadn't tried to thicken it, and was just happy with double sided polys...

Here's the questionable top to my questionable skirt. Seriously, someone needs to look into this school.

borkus
09-12-2009, 07:47 PM
******* Nangleator... I'd get myself into a bunch of trouble with the Mrs. in that college...

Nangleator
09-12-2009, 08:35 PM
My Mrs. has raised her eyebrows a few times for this challenge. Perhaps it was the reference images?

Okay, I had to finish the uniform.

20 minutes modeling, about an hour playing with surfaces and lighting and rendering. I like using the Flakes node in the Reflection channel.

Oh, I did my disqualified top with splines, then some Magnet and Dragnet. The seams for the arms were made with Edge Bevel.

Nicolas Jordan
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Heres my entry. If I have more time I might texture it up. This took me about 60 minutes. I tried to model the holes in the top of the lock but in soon became a nightmare with subdivision surfaces so I gave up on it since I wouldn't have got it done in the 90 minutes.

Nangleator
09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice lock! Yeah, getting a nice circular hole in a sub-D surface, particularly one that's got a curve already, is tricky. You end up with kinks and lumps and ugly geometry. It's something I practice all the time, usually when I see a nice picture of some machined part and I wonder how I'd recreate the interesting bit.

Like a naca scoop (http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/assets/images/XA_bonnet_scoop2.jpg) or one of these (http://salestores.com/stores/images/images_747/HDC500.jpg).

Iain
09-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Ah Nangleator-you've made me forget why I'm posting!

Oh yeah, just a quickie as I've finally got some free time back. This was the type of desk I used at Primary School. Wanted to do the seats too but ran out of time. 25 minutes modelling...........

R.Feeney
09-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Great stuff guys :thumbsup:

Nangleator
09-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Geez, Iain, that's fantastic. The wires are so simple, and with that surfacing you could comp that into a picture and fool anybody.

flakester
09-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Geez, Iain, that's fantastic. The wires are so simple, and with that surfacing you could comp that into a picture and fool anybody.

+1 :agree: Grand job there Iain.
Ace entries from everyone else so far as well. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Aaargh!!

64 . Seriously, someone needs to look into this school.

I want to goto that school

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 10:08 AM
Ah Nangleator-you've made me forget why I'm posting!

Oh yeah, just a quickie as I've finally got some free time back. This was the type of desk I used at Primary School. Wanted to do the seats too but ran out of time. 25 minutes modelling...........

Nice render , we used to have them at my school , remember the L shape chairs/tables " you know the one fat kids could never get it" or James Bulishi "great comical movie reference" .

R.Feeney
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM

I`m not sure you have the legs to carry of a skirt that short :D

flakester
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Oooooh, not sure about that....

Britney Spears may have gone to that school, and look what happened to her! :p

Actually, I take it back - I see your point! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Iain
09-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks guys. I've missed this place!

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I`m not sure you have the legs to carry of a skirt that short :D

I beg to differ i can get into a size 6 lady skirt " don't ask my how i know the answer just belive me " and i must admit my legs are rather attractive (",)

Edit a bit generous there I'll say size 8 uk (",) been sittin at a pc for weeks .

Nangleator
09-15-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know that that school uniform is complete. It may be missing something... hoop earrings? A dangly belly button ring?

Would a tramp stamp count as part of the uniform?

R.Feeney
09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
I swear to god that was more than I needed to know :D

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't know that that school uniform is complete. It may be missing something... hoop earrings? A dangly belly button ring?

Would a tramp stamp count as part of the uniform?

Its missing a huge fake gold necklace with here name "Shantell" ......

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 10:43 AM

+1 :agree:

Nangleator
09-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Boy, I dragged this challenge into the gutter!

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Boy, I dragged this challenge into the gutter!

LoL you should have just have made boobies s------(",)(,")-------s

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 11:18 AM
LoL you should have just have made boobies s------(",)(,")-------s

there it is. i was waiting for someone to drop the B word :D

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
there it is. i was waiting for someone to drop the B word :D

I'm as predictable as crabs (",)

colkai
09-15-2009, 11:36 AM

As they say around here, a mental Polaroid I can live without! :p

Nangleator
09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
there it is. i was waiting for someone to drop the B word
Heh, but that particular shape doesn't really cause too much of a stir...

danielkaiser
09-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I realize that the younger Lightwavers of us my not know what this is. all I can say is, this is going to hurt you more than it's going to hurt me.

About 30min total, give or take.

Iain
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
all I can say is, this is going to hurt you more than it's going to hurt me.

Ooof I bet that did hurt! It was just a common or garden trouser belt over here.

Nice job!

Nangleator
09-15-2009, 01:28 PM
Pretty render, Daniel!

OnlineRender
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Thought i would raise the tone a little (",) even that spank panel is smart , what kind of schools did you people goto ? LoL .

I set myself 1 hr to model ,texture and light .
C&C always welcome .

I call it HOMEWORK .......................... & where you be without your trusty calculator

http://www.onlinerender.com/calctestjpg.jpg

http://www.onlinerender.com/calcwireframe.jpg

I wasn't bothered about the poly count , about 10 minutes to make the calculator ,box...subd.....clone.....
about 10 secs for the table and paper and the remaning time was used to texture and light .

Edit , i was going to model a hand and make it burst the light open , but i never got a chance but i however managed a snapped HP pencil (",) might work on it some more .
Peace

OR

Shnoze Shmon
09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I realize that the younger Lightwavers of us my not know what this is. all I can say is, this is going to hurt you more than it's going to hurt me.

At first I thought, that's just what this thread needs to straiten it out...

Then I thought a little longer... NO! WAIT! A paddle is the LAST thing this thread needs!

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
my favorite pen of all time. i think i still have the same one from when i was a freshman in college, of course i have had to replace the ink a few times :thumbsup:

modeling time: 53 minutes
surface/light/render: 72 minutes

Nangleator
09-15-2009, 09:42 PM
NO! WAIT! A paddle is the LAST thing this thread needs!
I didn't want to say anything, but it goes pretty well with the unofficial theme of the thread...

Nangleator
09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Ooh, nice pen, Adam. And that grippy part is modeled!

AdamAvenali
09-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Ooh, nice pen, Adam. And that grippy part is modeled!

haha yeah, when it comes to speed modeling, poly count goes out the window for me :thumbsup: though i still try to watch my poly flow. i'm weird, i know haha

OnlineRender
09-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I finished some texturing and spanked the render time up ......

http://www.onlinerender.com/calcrender1.jpg

http://www.onlinerender.com/calcrender.jpg

http://www.onlinerender.com/calcwireframe.jpg
PEACE

Nangleator
09-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Groovy calculator. The main keys look like they're easy to read, for a geezer like me. Are the wrinkles a scan?

OnlineRender
09-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Are the wrinkles a scan?

I stole it out my wifes bag " it's a cheap Asda Price Calculator 2.00 " the image looks similar to the product ......

www.3dfilter.com --textures----- yes there a scan ,models mine .

JCG
09-16-2009, 03:39 PM
School chair.

OnlineRender
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
nice render that's the kinda chairs i was talking about earlier ........

"remember the L shape chairs/tables " you know the one fat kids could never get it" or James Bulishi "great comical movie reference" . "

JCG
09-16-2009, 04:02 PM
We still used those in college :).

Nowhere Man
09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi guys,

it's quite funny to see, where You've taken this one (frankly, I haven't thought of THAT interpretation :D).

We've got some really neat entries here and it took me quite a while to pick the winner (I had to go considerably subjective in the end, because I started to freak out trying to judge only on technical points).

I usually like to mention a couple of entries that stand out in peculiar way, but this time I would have to mention them all, since each and every one has something interesting to it. Unfortunately I just don't have the time needed (yes, again. I hate wednesdays :bangwall:).

Here comes the hard part...

The winning entry is... (or, in other words, the entry I liked most is...) Flakester's biro!
(it's sooo nice and clean; I love the way in wich cap's simple topology holds just the shape needed).

Congrats to Flakester - this week's winner - and all of You, who made this decision so tough for me to make :D

Nangleator
09-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah! I loved that cap, too, for the clean lines and perfect shape. Congrats, Flakester!

R.Feeney
09-16-2009, 05:17 PM
Well done Flakester

OnlineRender
09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
damn....... I so wanted Newtek Mini Challenge Winner on my CV ,LOL, well done Flakester the models sharp, was a tough decision tbh ,"MY wife was impressed with Iains table" all the renders are sweet ,now lets add all the objects to a scene file and make this perverted school (",)

NEXT......................................

flakester
09-17-2009, 10:44 AM
~ now lets add all the objects to a scene file and make this perverted school (",) ~

Lmfao! Now that would be one heckuva sureal scene!

Cheers Nowhere Man, cheers all - and well done all too, all great entries! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

AdamAvenali
09-17-2009, 10:50 AM
congrats flakester :thumbsup:

who is posting this weeks challenge?

Nangleator
09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Lmfao! Now that would be one heckuva sureal scene!
I can picture the skirt and top bent over the desk with the paddle swinging towards its target, the clear heels kicked up, and pen and calculator flying through the air...

Nangleator
09-17-2009, 10:57 AM
who is posting this weeks challenge?
Well, oobievision won the Anime challenge, so if we're sticking to the one-week offset... it would be his turn, and Flakester's the week after.

AdamAvenali
09-17-2009, 11:15 AM
i only asked because i had a free lunch break and was itching to get some lightwavin' in :)

Iain
09-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Well done Flakester!

Nice stuff this week as usual!