PDA

View Full Version : space race...russians won in the end...

cresshead
09-09-2009, 09:29 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8245409.stm

looks like it's the final curtain for NASA human space flight...

Russia won in the end then by the looks of it ..by sticking with and refining their rockets from the 60's.
Rather than inventing new ones from scratch like the shuttle and Constellation the russians stuck with the Soyuz for over 40 years.

now only the russians will have human rated rockets for the next..6 to 10 years an it's quite possible
that nasa will bow out of human space flight altogether for quite some time...
maybe just go with robotic missions and probes now that their budget's are too small to operate a human capability.

Nangleator
09-09-2009, 09:40 AM
That'll make all those people happy who argue we shouldn't 'waste all that money up in space' until all our problems are solved down here. Like, remember how Europe fixed all its problems and ended war and cured all disease before they let anybody colonize the New World?

Yeah.

Americans will return to space. As obedient tourists on Chinese rockets.

digitaldoc
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
http://www.aniboom.com/animation-video/394135/50-years-in-space/

warmiak
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
That'll make all those people happy who argue we shouldn't 'waste all that money up in space' until all our problems are solved down here. Like, remember how Europe fixed all its problems and ended war and cured all disease before they let anybody colonize the New World?

Yeah.

Americans will return to space. As obedient tourists on Chinese rockets.

If you discount the pride factor, having humans in space does not necessarily equal greater progress ...

Nangleator
09-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Maybe it's a pride thing for me. And I'm a bit of an old-school SF fan. I can't help but believe that if we strive for better space technology it will help us in the end.

Plus, more places to live (space stations, moon bases, Mars bases, etc.,) really does seem like a good yardstick for progress. Not the only one, of course.

SplineGod
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I think they will figure out how to do it on their more *limited* budget, collaborate more with other nations and/or rely more on the private sector.

Stooch
09-09-2009, 05:00 PM
no pride necessary. the russian space program is alive thanks to nasa.

if anything, this is a great reason to work together.

*Pete*
09-10-2009, 02:43 AM
Nationality has dissapeared from space missions a long time ago...its now more in commercial and scientific intrest than anything else.

cresshead
09-10-2009, 02:51 AM
no pride necessary. the russian space program is alive thanks to nasa.

if anything, this is a great reason to work together.

actually russians were given a whole load of money from the usa to de orbit MIR so that they [russians] didn't sell it off and make the ISS look extreemly 'expensive' to congress when nasa went to get the budget for it...basically they threw a suitcase of cash to russia to make the iss 'unique' ..again..taking the MIR out of the picture.

Stooch
09-12-2009, 09:54 AM
actually russians were given a whole load of money from the usa to de orbit MIR so that they [russians] didn't sell it off and make the ISS look extreemly 'expensive' to congress when nasa went to get the budget for it...basically they threw a suitcase of cash to russia to make the iss 'unique' ..again..taking the MIR out of the picture.

eh. i dont buy that. the cost of operating mir was huge, the station was falling apart and becoming a safety hazard and has overstayed its tenure in orbit due to an extensive coat of bandaids.

that thing was quickly becoming a death trap. I would imagine that the costs of keeping that heap of junk in orbit would nullify any "suitcases of cash" thrown at russia.

cresshead
09-12-2009, 12:27 PM
eh. i dont buy that. the cost of operating mir was huge, the station was falling apart and becoming a safety hazard and has overstayed its tenure in orbit due to an extensive coat of bandaids.

that thing was quickly becoming a death trap. I would imagine that the costs of keeping that heap of junk in orbit would nullify any "suitcases of cash" thrown at russia.

the russians already had a buyer waiting for it...there's a DVD documentry covering the whole story/history avalable.

cresshead
09-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Ouch, sounds familiar :p

you mean the Nasa orbiter?

Stooch
09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
the russians already had a buyer waiting for it...there's a DVD documentry covering the whole story/history avalable.

Ok if you are still trying to make it sound that russians somehow were ahead with their space program you need to check yourself. they were about to junk mir! and had no funding to keep it running anyway... Regardless of the reason nasa gave them money. It helped them keep people employed and contribute to the ISS. THE TRUE SAVIER OF RUSSIAN SPACE PROGRAM. Alot of components that are russian made were paid with nasa funds. again. the reason why they are still making parts. you are speaking to a russian btw lol. not exactly blinded by patriotism overhere though, but i do follow up on my motherlands science happenings. Either way, if russia did end up selling mir then it would mean nothing anyway, since that means they would be packing up and leaving the race woulndt it?

during that time they couldnt even spend on national defense, much less a space program... dont need to watch a dvd to know this..

nasa orbiter? I think he meant lightwave, in the context of my comment about overstaying ones tenure, being a health hazard and having a large coating of bandaids.

which i kind of funny lol.

i guess C.O.R.E. is the new ISS