PDA

View Full Version : Pop3/IMAP email client for Win7

biliousfrog
09-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I've just read that Windows 7 doesn't include an email program aside from the 'Live' online version which works alongside MSN etc.

I'm considering alternatives which I can begin to impliment until I get my Win 7 license in November'ish.

Currently I use Outlook Express which I think is a great app, nothing fancy but works well and is easy to set up with multiple accounts and basic filtering. I'd like to keep my address book, transfer my stored emails into a new email application and continue working as seamlessly as possible.

I'm currently considering:

Thunderbird

Outlook 2007/2010

Thunderbird is looking very appealing but I have heard of issues with Vista 64bit and problems with importing contacts and emails.

Outlook would make the transition easier but I'm curious to whether it still requires MS Office to run the spell check because I'm Open Office all the way. I've also heard of issues with Vista 64bit and Outlook 2007 (2010 isn't released yet).

Suggestions?

Lightwolf
09-09-2009, 04:13 AM
I've just read that Windows 7 doesn't include an email program aside from the 'Live' online version which works alongside MSN etc.
You can download the Live version: http://download.live.com/wlmail and it is just a normal mail client.

Suggestions?
Hm, I haven't used Thunderbird for a while, but I'd try it, especially as you don't have to switch now and you can still play.

I personally use Opera, but that only makes sense if you use it as a browser as well. I'm quite fond of the mail client though.

Basically anything that keeps me away from MS infrastructure beyond the OS ;)

Cheers,
Mike

selefice
09-09-2009, 04:16 AM
I use Thunderbird that handles well my gmail accounts as well..
i dont use it on my Vista 64 systems tho ...
I have used it on a linux box and on my macbook
(and transfered mailboxes etc) ...with great success...

cheers
j.

Weetos
09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Thunderbird is imho the best of them all, as you can add features by adding plugins - I use it at work and at home and with a few plugs, you can have tabs, virtual folders (based on custom filters), built-in calendar synced with Google Calendar ans so on - I wouldn't even consider going back to outlook

I suggest downloading the latest 64bit build and see if the import problem has been fixed - I remember it was buggy some time ago, but bugs are being squashed regularly and usually quite quickly