PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Dongle Question...

Chrusion
09-08-2009, 05:33 PM
When we purchased our two 5-pack educational seats (10 in all) of LW 7.x for 5 or so years ago, we received 10 red Sentinel USB dongles. We have kept up-to-date on upgrades and are now at 9.6.

We now have a need to use LW on a few of our Intel Macs that can boot into Windows XP.

Will our current red versions of the dongle work on this platform running XP or will we need to replace all 10 dongles with versions that will?

If the red ones do work, will the License keys work, too? That is, is Windows XP on an Intel Mac identical in these matters to XP on a PC?

LazyCoder
09-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Well... I know one way you could find out. Just try it.

lol 'dongle'... almost sounds like a dirty word...

Chrusion
09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
We are going to... just wanted to see if anyone else has been down this road, whether the dongle color matters, etc. If so, then we'd save ourselves some time now wouldn't we! hehe

LazyCoder
09-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Ah well, sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

BeeVee
09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Red dongles are duos, but are you sure you got red dongles with 7 Dean? The red dongles only really started with 9. If you got purple ones and you bought LightWaves for Windows, or you bought dual licences (with Win and Mac in the box), then the dongles will be duos. If you bought those educational ones purely for the Mac, then they will likely be EVE3 keys that need to be replaced. Like Lazycoder says, it's easiest to suck it and see, but you shouldn't need to even install LightWave - I don't think an EVE3 key is recognised on a Windows machine regardless of what software is used.

B

LazyCoder
09-10-2009, 12:14 AM
When you're talking about the color of the dongle, are you talking about the little light on it, or the stripes around the 'SafeNet' text?

BeeVee
09-10-2009, 03:08 AM
I am talking about the colour of the body of the dongle. There are beige parallel dongles (obsolete); purple USB dongles in both eve3 and Duo forms; Red USB dongles that are all Duos and are the same shape as the purple ones and black USB dongles that are a more square shape. Here's a picture of my purple duo dongle and my black duo dongle. The red one is exactly the same shape and size as the purple one.

B

Chrusion
09-10-2009, 12:39 PM
OK, I remember now... We've had LW since 7.x but when 9.0 came out, it required new dongles, so when we upgraded those 10 edu seats, they came with the new red-bodied keys.

The one I use at home is purple. It replaced the parallel dongle that was stolen while on a working vacation to the Keys (took it with me to run LW on another system, then left my camera bag with it in it on the beach while wading a few dozen yards out).

Anyway good news... boot camping into Win XP on an Intel-Mac G5 acts identical in every way to a PC re. these dongles, LW lic. key files/numbers, etc. So we're good to go!