PDA

View Full Version : 2d object and fiber effects

defense2
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I am trying to create a carpet, I have been watching wills videos, and they provide a wealth of knolage. thanks will. however I have found that i am running into a problem where the fibers do not show up on my 2d object. so i tried turning it into a 3d object by extruding the face up a little bit only to find the fibers are only appairing on the sides not the top of the object.

so i am wondering if anyone have any suggestions as how to fix this poblem? ill attach a image of my project im working on so you will understand what it is im talking about. in this version of the render i replaced the carpet with a hard wood floor which dosnt work much better. but it should give you an idea as to the effect i am atempting to get.

BeeVee
09-09-2009, 01:05 PM
You can name the top polygon of the box with a surface, then in the FiberFX interface don't use all surfaces, but just the one you named.

B

defense2
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
thanks for your reply, i got the fibers to stop comming out of the side however i do not get any fibers at all, do you know of a video or text insturctions on how to creat a carpet?

BeeVee
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
well remember that the area of your top polygon is doubtless much larger than even all the sides added together, so perhaps the fibers are there, just not as easy to see?

B

defense2
09-10-2009, 05:25 PM
i am using a 2d polygon as the carpet poly, it has no sides.

when i had it as a 3d polygon the fibers were seen comming form the side, when i set the FiberFX interface to not use all sides but only the one i named, i lost all the fibers, this is the problem i do not understand. well that and about 95% of fiber effects, however i played with moving most every slider, and setting to no effect.

BeeVee
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Here is a 2-minute test. FiberFX is dependant on object scale of course, but just putting the fibres on the surface named rug on the top polygon of the box gave me this. I reversed the gravity (-50%) so that the fibres stood up rather than try to fall through the box, changed the scale (100%) and splay (35%). Occasionally I needed to change the frame I was on - from 0 to 1 and back to force a refresh.

Hope this helps,

B

defense2
12-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for your help, your suggestion helped, My biggest mistake was having a very large polygon to cover, so by cutting it up a bit i reduced that problem but wound up having a 10 day render time. :-( so this will have to wait for a while to be rendered.

WCameron
12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Model your rug object to a real world scale. IE make it 1 meter by 1 meter or whatever, and subdevide it a few times so the 1 meter square is made up of smaller squares.

a 10 day render time is outrageous unless your running a P3 or something. (or your fibers are way too dense).

- Will.