PDA

View Full Version : What is Phase?

Trulsi
09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi!

I'm studying waves and wakes. I want to learn enough about procedurals and nodes in LW to make realistic and predictable waves and wakes. Haven't gotten very far yet, and a possible limitation in Lightwave has come up. The thing is, in 3DS MAX there is something called "phase". It is, as far as I know, available in five of its procedural textures. Those are smoke, waves, and the three noise flavours turbulence, fractal and "regular".

Enclosed is a zip with a 500 frame animation that shows all of these (except regular noise) in action. All that is animated is their phase.

It gives an organic effect, and helps make your animated texture less computer-generated. I want to be able to do this in lightwave. However, all I can find is the option of animating a procedural textures position/rotation/scale, and I can't see how I can get to this phase effect with just those controls...

Am I missing something?

SplineGod
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Try layering the procedurals and offsetting the position, scale, etc

Trulsi
09-09-2009, 12:50 AM
Try layering the procedurals and offsetting the position, scale, etc

Hi Larry!

I was hoping you'd chime in on this one:) Thanks! That is what I was thinking about as a possible imitation. Will do it some time this week and see if I get anything good out of it.

SplineGod
09-09-2009, 03:07 AM
Also try the ripple procedurals because you do have control over t he # of wave sources. :)

Trulsi
09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Also try the ripple procedurals because you do have control over t he # of wave sources. :)

Thanks, Larry! Will do that. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, I thought I'd subscribed to this thread. Oh well, subscribing now. I actually had some time to play around with mixed procedural nodes tonight, and will continue tomorrow.

Trulsi
09-13-2009, 06:37 PM
By the way, has anyone tried IFW nodal? Do these nodes this give easier random noise animation?

SplineGod
09-14-2009, 05:18 AM
Also try some of the procedurals in Dponts Rman procedurals and nodes and his DPkit

Trulsi
09-15-2009, 03:24 PM
It occured to me today... How about vertical motion of a 3D noise texture? And when I tried it out... It looks just like phase! Oh man.... Why didn't I think of this before?

By the way, thanks for the tip, SplineGod!