PDA

View Full Version : SockMonkey Problem - Weight Maps

kahalany
09-08-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm using LW 9.6 and recently tried SockMonkey as means to interactively add complemantary motion to ClothFX. However it seems that the "Use Weight Values" doesn't work as the plugin treats every weighted vertice as if it was valued at 100% no matter what. A Bug?? If so - is there any other / better way to accomplish the same result?

Thanks for your time,

Royie

Castius
09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
SockMonkey is a joke. Don't use it.

I would try using edit FX. Maybe a node setup reading a mdd of your cloth sim.

kahalany
09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Yeah, about editFX - I tried that, but i just cannot get the amount of control i need. Also I'm looking for a non-destructive way of doing that. I find editFX rather cumbersome and non intuitive. SockMonkey was very close to the solution I was looking for - simple and straight forward except for the weight-maps-not-working thingy.
Anyway - think animatable lattice-like deformer that can work with clothFX interactively or at least with a pre-saved mdd file. Sadly, I know not of such a solution in LW.

SplineGod
09-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Sockmonkey and other deformers dont get along well. Editfx actually gives m ore control then sockmonkey anyway.
Editfx allows you to effect only the vertices you want based on surface, part, point selection, UVmap, weight map etc. If you adjust based on weight map the weighted values are taken into account. After editing with editfx you can resave the mdd file. Morphs and bones will still effect the mdd file afterwards.

kahalany
09-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Hi, Larry. I gave editFX another try - this time with weight maps. I found that I can only get a nice, smooth, interpolated movement when I fix the edit start and edit end to the whole frame range, otherwise i get a pop at the seam between the edited range and the unaltered one. I also tried to edit only the current / before / after keyframes and run a smooth command but got wierd and arbitrary results which are not undoable. Also, I cannot get the clothFX object (even with a presaved mdd file) to be affected by bones - which was the reason I tried sockmonkey in the first place plus the fact that unlike editFX it's keyframable.

SplineGod
09-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Save a versiion of the mdd file out before using edit fx so you can reload it if you mess anything up while using editfx.
How are you playing back the mdd file? There are options depending upon which mdd player youre using to make it keyframeable so that it can be effected by bones etc.

kahalany
09-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I originally loaded the mdd file with clothFX. After reading your post I tried using md_plug which did work with bones when the keymove option was turned on. However when I turn the keymove on the object tends to shift slightly (on my particular setup - on the z axis) with no apparent reason as the object nor the bones that drive it were keyframed hence the only thing that was recorded to the mdd (or at least should have been) was the clothFX simulation. I tried deleting / resetting the object and bones keyframes but kept getting the same result. I gotta say that all this digging and trial and errorring with the software made me understand a lot more about LW's mechanics and in turn gave me greater control (I'm a former c4d user). But honestly, I'm getting a little tired from this software as more an more of my time feels like hacking my way through than really getting down to do what I want and just animate.

This what pains me the most about lightwave.