PDA

View Full Version : Are we in v9.6.1 Open Beta Yet?

Otterman
09-08-2009, 06:10 AM
I have read some posts by Chuck in the old beta forums and its referring to 9.6.1 cocoa registration. What gives...has anyone signed up yet? Not seeing anything in my registration as yet.....keen bean me :D

Kuzey
09-08-2009, 06:57 AM
It's about the exchange program for the purple Mac only dongle. Which I have and I'm currently overseas, so I wonder how easy it will be to get it changed.

Sounds like the beta is getting very close indeed.

Kuzey

rsfd
09-08-2009, 08:17 AM
we should get a serious estimation today:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=922382&postcount=14

v1u1ant
09-08-2009, 08:37 AM
exchange program...sounds ominous, as im overseas now aswell...

Otterman
09-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Purple dongles i believe comes in two sorts-eve (gotta exchange) and duo (requires a new lock ID). Ive a purple duo dongle so lucky me....i just need to register for beta!

Chuck
09-08-2009, 05:56 PM
We're not in Open Beta yet, but I have begun preparing the Open Beta forum sections and have placed some material and messages to help folks get oriented.

v1u1ant
09-10-2009, 04:48 AM
How do i tell if i have a Duo or an eve dongle? Im guessing i have a duo as the LW disk is for either OS.

Ah scratch that . i see i have the Rainbow Duo Dongle after reading the Open Beta announcement from Chuck

Cheers

DreamWeaver
09-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I have needed a new dongle for awhile after moving over to a mac and have been waiting for Lightwave to get up and running on the mac efficiently before getting another one. Now I am glad that I had waited since it would seem that I would have had to get it exchanged anyway from what you are all saying here.

I was just wondering which one would I need to actually run lightwave on my intel imac and how would I go about getting one. Is there a page to go where you can order it or something? Since I would rather not have to call in to get it taken care of if I had to.

RonGC
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Maybe tell safenet to get off their butts and get out a 64bit driver for the eve dongle , it cant be that hard to write a driver, i dont want to lose vertibevel, which is tied to my lock ID. as it stands i will have to purchase a second dongle in order to keep some of my older no longer supported plugins for use on another Mac.

Unless Newtek is willing to provide a new second dongle free....LOL

As it is going to be a long time before Core is a complete application, i should not have to be put in this position, just to be able to run LW in 64 bit.

As you might have guessed i am a little bit miffed at the moment.

Ron

rsfd
09-10-2009, 03:08 PM
So far, Rainbow Eve3 Dongle needs to be replaced.
That means to contact NewTek Customer Support (phone/email) and ask for a replacement dongle (and providing any infos about 3rd party commercial plugins, that are tied to the Dongle Lock ID, so that NewTek can provide confirmation about the replacement to third parties).
The Rainbow Duo Dongle support Eve3 framework and Sentinel Driver.
That means, it can be used for 64-bit cocoa LW and even LW-Core while using the Sentinel Driver. As it will report a different Lock ID than 32-bit LW, registration needs to be updated - so contact to NewTek Customer Support to get a licence for 64-LW-UB is needed.
The Sentinel USB Dongle uses the Sentinel Driver, which is supported in 64-bit mode through SafeNet and will support 64-bit LW / LW-Core.
Took these infos out of some newly added posts in the "old Open Beta" forum, assuming that there will be an "official" posting, when Open Beta 9.6.1 UB commences.

yaschan
09-12-2009, 01:40 AM
My dongle shines green light. When the update becomes Open Beta, can I get it?

BeeVee
09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
It doesn't matter what colour light you have on your dongle, it matter what's written on it. If it says EVE3 you need to replace. If it says Duo, you don't need to? Wakarimasuka? ;)

B

yaschan
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
そうですけどう it doesnt say either of those. It says:

SafeNet Sentinel
on the side there is sticker and a number which I'm not going to write down here
back of it there is "NewTek" and SCTXXXXXX
Made in China ROHS

Vagrants
09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh My Goddess...
My dongle is EVE3.
Can I change it in the international distributors, such as NGC Corporation - D-Storm ?

BeeVee
09-14-2009, 06:04 PM
@yaschan: Whether it's eve3 or not is on the dongle itself. The attached image shows a purple Rainbow/Safenet duo dongle. However, I don't think you need worry since the fact that your dongle has RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) on the side means the dongle is too new to be an EVE3 dongle.

B

Vagrants
09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
For information,
this is my EVE3 dongle.

yaschan
09-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Thank you for your kind help. Yes, my dongle looks like the one on the left in the attached file.
I really look forward 9.6.1 update. I just ordered new Mac Pro just for Lightwave work. I really appreciate the kind support of NewTek.
Cheers from Yokohama

ingo
09-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Mine says "Cracked in the US" on the side, is that a duo or a trio dongle ?

Why the heck noone at Newtek cleans up the mess and add the dongle-ids at the upgrade infos, so "...from xxxx to yyyy you need a new dongle..." for example - shouldn't be that difficult or (and would help the resellers too) ?

Sometimes me thinks Newtek should be renamed into Chaos Group :lightwave

Chuck
09-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Why the heck noone at Newtek cleans up the mess and add the dongle-ids at the upgrade infos, so "...from xxxx to yyyy you need a new dongle..." for example - shouldn't be that difficult or (and would help the resellers too) ?

Sometimes me thinks Newtek should be renamed into Chaos Group :lightwave

Eve3 and Duo dongles are easily and quickly identified without having to resort to serial numbers or Lock IDs, and in fact the information has been provided now, well in advance of the forthcoming update where they will make a difference to the user. We are not even in Open Beta, yet, and a release version will take some time to achieve once we do start Open Beta, but the information is already out to the public. Contrary to there being a "mess to clean up," we've gotten this information out well in advance of it becoming an issue for the general group of users, and even the much smaller group who participate in Open Beta.

Phil
09-15-2009, 04:37 PM
One thing that is going to be an issue is 3rd party plugins. I did wonder if NewTek might consider allowing affected users to pay a fee for a new dongle (such as the lost dongle scenario handled by CS), blocking off the old dongle from future upgrades (as though it were a lost dongle).
That would seem to address concerns for those folks who are facing a problem going forwards to Core due to their current dongle because they cannot face losing their current pipeline.

Chuck
09-15-2009, 04:57 PM
One thing that is going to be an issue is 3rd party plugins. I did wonder if NewTek might consider allowing affected users to pay a fee for a new dongle (such as the lost dongle scenario handled by CS), blocking off the old dongle from future upgrades (as though it were a lost dongle).
That would seem to address concerns for those folks who are facing a problem going forwards to Core due to their current dongle because they cannot face losing their current pipeline.

I'd certainly favor allowing a Rainbow Eve3 to just be retired from the upgrade path, and we've been mulling the issue of such affected users. I'll see if we can mull a bit faster. ;)

ingo
09-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Eve3 and Duo dongles are easily and quickly identified without having to resort to serial numbers or Lock IDs, and in fact the information has been provided now, well in advance of the forthcoming update where they will make a difference to the user. ........

Thanks for the info, maybe the information is out to some people, but this info is not where its needed -> http://www.newtek-shop.com/pages.php?p=Articles&AID=182&SID=ae857af8501150d14ad143bcacb42b66

It would be nice if you can write simply into the specs which dongle is needed and which dongle needs to be replaced, and for what extra cost. That makes it easier for people not always watching the forums. And adding the info about what happens to 3rd party software tied to the dongle would be a nice idea too.

ingo
09-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Hmm, one thing is still not clear to me. When i upgrade from 8.5 to the new 9.6 today i need a new duo dongle, but will LW 8.5 still run on PPC or Intel Macs so i can use my existing plugins (those that are not upgradable to UB) ?:question:

BeeVee
09-17-2009, 01:27 PM
If you need a new dongle, you will need to return your old dongle. You won't get the same Lock ID on the new dongle, but NewTek will confirm to plugin developers that query your change of LockID that you have had a dongle swap.

B

dballesg
09-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Eve3 and Duo dongles are easily and quickly identified without having to resort to serial numbers or Lock IDs

That is not so easy when you have a Rainbow Duo like me, purple color! ;)

I couldn't identify it, if it wasn't for the engraving in the side that says Rainbow Duo! ;)

David

ingo
09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
If you need a new dongle, you will need to return your old dongle. You won't get the same Lock ID on the new dongle, but NewTek will confirm to plugin developers that query your change of LockID that you have had a dongle swap.

B

Okay thanks , i understood that i have to return the purple rainbow eve dongle to get a new purple rainbow duo dongle and than get new licenses for the plugins again .

But all i wanted to know is if LW 8.5 PPC works with the new purple rainbow duo dongle ??

BeeVee
09-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, the purple duo dongle is not new and has been given with new LightWave licences since around 7/7.5. The black one that replaced it when v9 came out still works with all previous versions back to 6.

B

ingo
09-18-2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks for clarifying this, so i can use my old G5 to work occasionaly with LW 8.5 if i need the old plugins (or maybe someone can convince Pawel Olas to make UB versions of his nice plugins) .

BeeVee
09-18-2009, 02:49 PM
And don't forget that there is nothing to stop you from having both CFM and UB versions of 9.6 installed for those stubborn plugins that just won't be recompiled.

B

jwiede
09-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Ben, the problem is that seems to leave folks using (for example) Cantarcan's Dynamite stuck with no good options. Forcing them to give back the old dongle means they lose access to such plugins entirely. Fine in cases where there are other Mac equivalents still being supported, but for Dynamite, there aren't any equivalents (RealFlow, at ~20x the cost, doesn't count).

If the other folks with "working" Dynamite plugins are anything like me, they're very careful not to do anything that would cause them to lose access to it. Changing out dongles falls squarely into that category.

Does Newtek have a way to get a hold of Can, to ensure he sends out the new keys?

Barring that, can some accommodation be made for folks in this situation?

jwiede
09-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Speaking of Dynamite, now that the site is down and further sales are blocked, has Newtek spoken to Can (or heirs or whatever) lately about just buying Dynamite?

It'd be a serious loss for LW if Dynamite just disappears. Using Blender for fluids is far less efficient a workflow to count as an alternative, at least IMO.

Greenlaw
09-20-2009, 05:03 PM
I thought I read in another thread that NewTek did try repeatedly to contact Cantarcan but couldn't get a hold of him. That's really unfortunate.

There's another product called Turbulence that looks very promising:

http://www.jawset.com/

These plug-ins are currently for Cinema4D and AfterEffects, but developer has stated somewhere in these forums that he is interested in developing a LightWave version. The flaming hands test shown for the After Effects version is pretty cool. (I wish AE plug-in worked with Fusion, but I think the its 3D environment is incompatible with Fusion's 3D.)

I hope NewTek can encourage this developer. If the LightWave version happens, I'll first in line to buy. :)

Greenlaw

jwiede
09-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I've got C4DStudio R11, and I've been using Turbulence. It's comparable to Dynamite in many ways (surpassing it in areas), and I've been able to do some neat stuff. C4D also has DPit effex which is another fluids-for-smoke package as well, though it's more expensive without corresponding value over Turbulence (IMO).

I'd love to see Turbulence on Lightwave, but suspect it might be quite a while before we see it ported. C4D's SDK is quite different in approach than that of LW's SDK (it's closer to how CORE's SDK is described), so porting Turbulence from that environment to the current LW SDK seems like it'll involve some major plugin rearchitecture.

Greenlaw
09-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi Jwiede,

A few questions: Can C4D import the LightWave camera accurately? By that I mean not just the rig and motion, but also the lens settings including envelopes? Years ago, I recall, it could import and export LightWave scene files. Is this still true for Lightwave 9.6 scenes?

Also, what would be the minimal C4D package I needed to use Turbulence? I'm trying to evaluate if getting C4D and Turbulence would be a practical solution for fluid smoke/fire effects until a new LightWave plug-in comes along.

Greenlaw

jwiede
09-22-2009, 01:08 AM
This is actually being discussed in another thread right now:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101972

Since it's more about C4D behavior than Mac-specific LW stuff, let's continue the discussion there, if that's okay? I don't typically try to move cameras between apps, I tend to do scene setup in just one app based on needs vs strengths, but will do some quick experiments and report back (as I noted in the thread mentioned above).