PDA

View Full Version : Material question

Skinner3D
09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
In 9.6 is it possible to place an image on top of a material? If so how do I go about doing it?
I have a gradient feeding into the Carpaint material node, and I need to get a specific image to appear over that. Vinyl on top of pearlescent paint type of deal :)

jameswillmott
09-06-2009, 08:22 PM
In 9.6 is it possible to place an image on top of a material? If so how do I go about doing it?
I have a gradient feeding into the Carpaint material node, and I need to get a specific image to appear over that. Vinyl on top of pearlescent paint type of deal :)

Material Mixer should do it. One material is your car paint, one is your vinyl ( up to you how you make it, probably with the Standard material node ) and use an image node to composite the two by feeding the image output into the Alpha input on the Material Mixer.

Skinner3D
09-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks :) it worked mostly, but now I have some really weird reflections that I have to deal with. The vinyl image is mostly green and the reflections are magenta and cyan. Any thoughts?

jameswillmott
09-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks :) it worked mostly, but now I have some really weird reflections that I have to deal with. The vinyl image is mostly green and the reflections are magenta and cyan. Any thoughts?

Post a screenshot and your node flow?

Skinner3D
09-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, last night when I tried it I had the image looking mostly like its normal green. Now its a strange blue. The strange reflections are really apparent though. The last image is what I want it to look like, albeit with the body paint color behind it :D

Sensei
09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
In 1st screen-shot, in Node Editor, you don't have any second material connected to B.. You need to use f.e. Standard Material, with Color set to your image.. LW has bug, and if you don't set one of materials in Material Mixer, it blends trash (apparently doesn't clear storage in stack).. So, after 3rd, 4th etc launch of Layout it'll look differently than now..

Another thing is that you used Color output of Image node as Alpha.. It'll cause another problems, because your image is not gray scale, but colorful..

Sensei
09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I have experimented a bit, and think so that the best way to accomplish your task, will be using Tools > Mixer, as first input use your image, as second some constant color, and Opacity take from luma or make alpha in image (to have soft transition). Then mixed output put in Carpaint Paint Color input. This way image will be part of this node..

Skinner3D
09-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Ty all for the help so far. Here is the latest results. The image looks normal and the reflections look normal, but the background of the image shows up black. It is most definately transparent, I checked.
That image doesn't show up at all unless I set the mixer alpha to 100% (which it is set at)
I tried using the image mixer with constant but in the end I got the same results

jameswillmott
09-08-2009, 05:22 PM
You need to feed the outline of the decal into the Alpha input on the Mixer somehow. If it's an alpha channel you can use the Alpha output on the Image(1) node to do it, otherwise you'll need to introduce a new image node somewhere...

Skinner3D
09-08-2009, 07:19 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT TY ALL :D:dance:
Here is the final node setup. You can see what was added/done etc