PDA

View Full Version : Realflow to PFX

jasonazure
09-04-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi Community

I have a real current need to get a particle simulation from Realflow into Lightwave via the .PFX format.

My first question is, has anyone already done this? and if so, would they be willing to share their code?

If the answer to question 1 is no, does anyone know where I could find a detailed description of Lightwaves PFX file format? (I have already emailed tech support, but I thought I'd attack this problem from both the company and community angles).

I'm sure I found a link to a description of the PFX format some months ago in the forum, when I was just browsing. But I can no longer locate it!

Anyway, hopefully I will get an answer soon.

Jason

dpont
09-04-2009, 03:04 AM
I made a Particle Scan plugin,
did just a few tests with Realflow particles,
and they need to be first exported as bin files
and loaded with LW RealFlow particle reader ,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/MDD_Pointer.html#Particle_Scan

Denis.

jasonazure
09-04-2009, 05:49 AM
Wow! Thanks Denis!

I think you may have saved me hours of coding and debugging :)

I've ran a few tests so far and although the actual process is a little shaky (numerous Lightwave crashes), the .pfx files seem rock solid.

At the moment I have tested it with a few hundred particles over a few hundred frames. Can you see any problems if I end up creating 10,000 particles over 600 frames?

Cheers

Jason

jasonazure
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
OK, I'm up to 5000 particles over 600 frames so far and no problems :boogiedow

dballesg
09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi,

Just in case you want to have it as a future reference, the PFX and other formats are on the DSTORM Developers website (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/products/developer/index.htm).

Go to the section Technical Data.

David

jasonazure
09-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the link David.

Although I think it's pretty poor of Newtek if the only place to get this information is from a Japanese website!!

I emailed tech support last week asking for this info, and so far I haven't had a reply :(

kolby
09-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Hi boys, is there any way how to convert Lightwave *.pfx to Realflow *.bin sequences ?

shaun_michael
03-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Hi boys, is there any way how to convert Lightwave *.pfx to Realflow *.bin sequences ?

Yes, the new Lightwave<>Realflow plugin does that now.

Shaun

kolby
03-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Nice, thanks !

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I made a Particle Scan plugin,
did just a few tests with Realflow particles,
and they need to be first exported as bin files
and loaded with LW RealFlow particle reader ,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/MDD_Pointer.html#Particle_Scan

Denis.

Hi there, Denis...

I'm trying to use the latest Particle Scan plugin with 32bit LW9.6.1, LW10.1 and LW11 to convert a RealFlow bin particle sequence to native LW pfx particles, but every time it finishes the process, all Layout versions crash...

Is there anything i should know or do to make it work?
The bin sequence was generated with latest Real Flow version 2012.6.0.1.0070, if this helps...

Thanks in advance...
T.Rex

dpont
03-02-2012, 12:13 AM
...I'm trying to use the latest Particle Scan plugin with 32bit LW9.6.1, LW10.1 and LW11 to convert a RealFlow bin particle sequence to native LW pfx particles, but every time it finishes the process, all Layout versions crash...

Is there anything i should know or do to make it work?
The bin sequence was generated with latest Real Flow version 2012.6.0.1.0070, if this helps...

I don't use RealFlow particles since years
Particle Scan worked with an older demo bin sequence,
but with a different process than for LW particles,
as far I know they rewrote their import plugin,

Denis.

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Ok, no problem...
I guess, I'll have to find another way...

BTW, if you need a latest bin sequence i can provide one for testing purposes...

Cheers,
T.Rex

dpont
03-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I got a sample bin sequence from RealFlow 2012,
and the last Lightwave RF plugin (v1.3)
there are indeed some changes in the emitter,
I fixed the final crashing, modified the process,
it should be faster now and got a correct PFX file,
DP Motion Designer has been updated, win32 yet.

Denis.

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks so much, Denis...
This time it worked fine, at least up to 400 frames or so...
In a 900 frame sequence it crashed at about 50% competition; probably something to do with RAM and 32bit version maybe?
It's working though and i can walk around any problems for now, so thank you very much for the super fast update!

Cheers,
T.Rex

dpont
03-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks so much, Denis...
This time it worked fine, at least up to 400 frames or so...
In a 900 frame sequence it crashed at about 50% competition; probably something to do with RAM and 32bit version maybe?
It's working though and i can walk around any problems for now, so thank you very much for the super fast update!

The win64 version has been updated too,
thanks to Marvin,
the scanning process needs a lot of memory,
since it is not possible to write the file on the fly,
number of frames but also total number of particles.

Denis.

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Thank you, Denis...
and thank you Marvin...
The 64bit worked flawlessly; it converted the 900 frame sequence correctly...
It did consume about 16GB of Ram and took about half an hour, but it worked like charm and so, i'm grateful for this great and helpful tool and for the great superfast support!

Thanks again!
T.Rex

Gregg "T.Rex"
03-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Actually, my bad; i didn't paid attention to the time...
It didn't took 30 minutes for the conversion...
It finished quite fast; did about 3-4 minutes...

Good times!
T.Rex

richhelvey
12-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi,

Just in case you want to have it as a future reference, the PFX and other formats are on the DSTORM Developers website (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/products/developer/index.htm).

Go to the section Technical Data.

David

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I was searching for this information and it took a bit to find it. This thread seems to be google's only knowledge of "lightwave pfx file format". And since David's link no longer works, I thought I'd put up one that does:
DSTORM developers technical data (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/developers/Technical_Data/)

Carry on.