PDA

View Full Version : Individual Audio Channel Clip Indicator

bob anderson
09-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I hardly ever post anything in here, but just yesterday I ran into a little problem that I think could be easily fixed.

I was at a webcast. The talent tends to speak really loud but only at times. I was riding the sliders, but noticed his audio was still clipping at times. ( I'd suggested to the production company to buy an audio compressor to fix this ) but then, I noticed part of the problem was that the input gain on the advanced setup page was set too hot. ( this was a phantom powered shotgun mike mounted near the talent. ) Here's the problem: During the webcast, with several channels of audio happening, I switched over to the input gain, but at that point, I couldn't see the individual channel VU.( Just the Main Out VUs) I had to nudge the input gain down, switch back to the main panel, and turn up the channel, then back to the input gain etc. I understand that there's no room for a VU on the input gain panel, but...

What if, like on many Protools plug-ins, there were simply a green "signal present" light, and a red "clip" light on the input gain channel? This would at least give you an Idea of where clipping begins on the input gain stage, and not just the channel output stage.

In a noisy environment with several audio in's, I think this would be a big help.

Bob Anderson

ted
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
In a noisy environment with several audio in's, I think this would be a big help.
Bob Anderson

What live event production isn't noisy with lots of audio sources? :D
I could second this suggestion.
Thanks,

PIZAZZ
09-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I agree with the guys above me. This would be a welcome addition.