PDA

View Full Version : Ska plugin tutorial...

wacom
08-27-2003, 12:29 PM
If you haven't taken a look at this tutorial then please do so before reading my post.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/newthread.php?s=&action=newthread&forumid=24

This tutorial was very helpful, but I've found one major problem with it. Now maybe I'm missing something from the tutorial, but in it it states that-

" I found that Color and Transparency had an affect on the rendering of SSS, but diffusion does not. Spec/Gloss, Reflection, and Bump are surface attributes rather than sub-surface attributes so they are irrelevant. I did not try Luminosity, but I suspect that like diffusion, it does not affect the SSS render."

Well I've found that not only do Luminosity and Diffusion effect the Ska plugin- but that to really make use of the plugin you MUST consider these setting. Diffusion seems to effect EVERYTHING with ska. I found that playing with the diffusion settings, and only adjusting the ska settings for light boost and penetration depth, produced dramatic results. and with far less fussing of the controlls.

So If you're playing around with this plugin you might want to first start by only setting the penetration level, and then start tweaking the diffusion and transparency settings before going back and tweaking the other SKA settings. I found this method more predictable than adjusting the other settings first...

I've attached a sad looking image using this method...

wacom
08-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Please post your findings on this plug in here and/or tell me if you think I'm crazy...

Mattoo
08-27-2003, 02:16 PM
Out of interest, how long did it take to render that? I used to use Ska quite a bit and never got the results many are getting with it now, and certainly no agreeable render times.