PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my new PC parts

biliousfrog
09-03-2009, 02:54 AM
1 X Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz overclocked 4.00GHz!
1 X Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
1 X Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
1 X Corsair H50 High-Performance CPU Watercooler
1 x Corsair HX 750W ATX Modular SLI Compliant Power Supply
3 X Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
1 X Lian Li V1000 plus + Lian Li EX-332B Hard Drive Bay Kit (Black)
1 X Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-Bit - OEM + Windows 7 Upgrade Voucher
1 X Akasa AK-TK-01 Cable Tidy Kit

I'm going to use my current Geforce 9800GT as it's only a few months old.

All-in it's just over £1k, not bad for a pre-overclocked, 4ghz, i7 machine. I was tempted to put the innards of my BOXX into a rack enclosure in the farm and use the case but it isn't really set up for overclocked systems. I went for the V1000 plus (http://www.ipcqueen.com/lianli_computer_case_pcv1000bplusII_1819_1154.html ) instead with the mesh fronted HD bay add-on which looks like a black Mac Pro...yummy.

The CPU, cooler, RAM and motherboard come as a pre-overclocked bundle which makes things easier if anything goes wrong. I've got one HD for the OS + apps and the other two for a RAID 0 data/scratch array.

It should all arrive tomorrow...I've just got to find time to build it.

:rock:

3DGFXStudios
09-03-2009, 04:47 AM
Nice and cheap!!! :) Why only 6gb ram? You should put as many ram in it as you can. And Kingston is better. I've nothing but trouble with corsair memory. I hop eyou have more luck with it. ;)

JonW
09-03-2009, 05:52 AM
It may not run quite as fast with 12 gb ram!

But on the other hand you could run 2 instances of LW.

biliousfrog
09-03-2009, 06:31 AM
You need to reduce the overclock to increase the RAM, the corsair is what comes with it so I'm happy to take what they recommend :)

I've got a 920 (stock) render node with 6gb ram and it's plenty. My BOXX has got 8gb and I've only maxed it once with a massive 12ft banner image.

I've had an 8 core for nearly 3 years, I want to see how a much faster single CPU machine performs. My 920 node is about 10-20% faster than my 8 core BOXX so this one should be killer, especially in single threaded apps. :D

Matt
09-03-2009, 06:33 AM
My Corsair memory has had no issues whatsoever, but my rig ain't overclocked.

But instability is a by-product of overclocking, so blaming the parts when overclocking isn't really fair IMO.

That's a good price for all that kit, where from?

BigHache
09-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Sweet new rig. Is this all for at home?

biliousfrog
09-03-2009, 07:01 AM
I got everything apart from the case from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

It's a home/work rig...it's all the same as I work from a home office :D

I've done the complete build thing, got some pre-built's so figured I'd go for a semi-build while overclockers are doing the hard part.

Funny thing is, I asked them for a quote to do one of the pre-overclocked rigs with the H50 CPU cooler instead of the Noctua heatsink and they put the bundle together as an offer. The H50 is getting some rave reviews, often beating full water cooling rigs for under £60.

Andyjaggy
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, I'm constantly maxing out my 8 gigs of ram. :)

Sometimes that's because I have After Effects opened at the same time, but I still do it with just LW sometimes as well.

3DGFXStudios
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
My Corsair memory has had no issues whatsoever, but my rig ain't overclocked.

But instability is a by-product of overclocking, so blaming the parts when overclocking isn't really fair IMO.

That's a good price for all that kit, where from?

My system isn't overclocked and this is my third pair of corsair modules. They all get errors after a few months. I guess it is all a matter of chance

JonW
09-03-2009, 06:19 PM
The i7s are the first boxes that I could OC, all my other boxes were Dual CPU Macs & Dual CPU AMDs.

So I am only just learning. My 940 I had running at 3.83 Ghz with a small scene running. But using 11.9 gb I could only get it to 3.68 Ghz. I also didn’t want to over do the settings until I had learnt more about OCing!

At 3.68 it did crash after 1 week running 24/7. I’ve got it set to 3.55 GHz & it ran 3 weeks 24/7, for the entire render.

My second 920, I hadn’t even over clocked it yet, using an MSI X58 Pro-E MB & the IOH was running at 82c while idle! There seems to be an issue with these boards.

Anyway, I found that due to the “block of flats cooler” there was no air moving around at board level. I wedged in a fan at board level & everything is ok.

On all 3 i7s I found that the ram gets very hot will 12gb (& this is with a conservative voltage), I’ve cable tied an 80mm fan on top of each set, its not pretty, but it works.

On some renders depending on the scene even my 920 @ 3.15 is quicker than my E5450 V8, & this is only 1 generation of CPUs. Lightwave seem to be using the x55xx & i7 CPUs really efficiently.

My 5335 V8 is just left standing at the starting gate compared to the current CPUs.

At 4.0 Ghz your 920 is a lethal weapon!

AdamAvenali
09-03-2009, 06:36 PM
1 X Akasa AK-TK-01 Cable Tidy Kit

i respect a person with a nice, clean and streamlined case :thumbsup:

biliousfrog
09-04-2009, 02:00 AM
i respect a person with a nice, clean and streamlined case :thumbsup:

I don't think that there's any reason not to have a tidy case nowadays. It wasn't that long ago that cables were wide and flat and PSU's had loads of spare cables hanging out of them...add to that some cramped cases with 80mm fans and you had some noisey boxes with terrible airflow. Hopefully, with the case, modular PSU, water cooled CPU cooler, cable tidy kit and decent fans, it should be cool and quiet...good for the components and my sanity. :)

COBRASoft
09-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Nice setup! I would like to go for watercooling myself, but I still have a C0-stepping I7 920. Those CPU's tend to be warmer than the new D0-stepping.

Lamont
09-04-2009, 05:17 AM
It may not run quite as fast with 12 gb ram!

But on the other hand you could run 2 instances of LW.Last I checked, twelve is a multiple of 3, will be fine. :D

kojean
09-04-2009, 05:53 AM
And Kingston is better. I've nothing but trouble with corsair memory.
While Kingston is fine, I've never had a problem with Corsair memory and I'm currently running it in an overclocked (CPU only) system.

I also haven't really had memory go bad. It's usually either bad fresh from the package or it outlasts the usefulness of the platform. I make it a habit of always testing new memory overnight with Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) before using the machine. That will usually catch most bad sticks and I can return or exchange them before they cause any trouble.

If you're having memory go bad that often (assuming it was tested and verified to be good in the first place), I would suspect your motherboard has a problem of its own or an incompatibility with those modules.

biliousfrog
09-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Last I checked, twelve is a multiple of 3, will be fine. :D

I'm not 100% sure but I think that the issue is with all six memory slots being consumed which puts a lot of strain in the motherboard.

Perhaps 3x4gb would be ok?...to be honest, 4gb sticks are so expensive that I doubt anyone has tried.

AdamAvenali
09-04-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm not 100% sure but I think that the issue is with all six memory slots being consumed which puts a lot of strain in the motherboard.

that is the problem i had with my EVGA 750i SLI FTW mobo and Corsair XMS2 ram. i kept getting BSOD's and went back and forth with EVGA and Corsair for a long time. One was saying to relax the memory timing and the other was saying to increase the amount of power going to the north bridge. i never really got it figured out and decided instead to just run 6 gb of ram in three slots (i only have 4 slots) because having all the memory slots full was just too unstable.

3DGFXStudios
09-04-2009, 07:26 AM
While Kingston is fine, I've never had a problem with Corsair memory and I'm currently running it in an overclocked (CPU only) system.

I also haven't really had memory go bad. It's usually either bad fresh from the package or it outlasts the usefulness of the platform. I make it a habit of always testing new memory overnight with Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) before using the machine. That will usually catch most bad sticks and I can return or exchange them before they cause any trouble.

If you're having memory go bad that often (assuming it was tested and verified to be good in the first place), I would suspect your motherboard has a problem of its own or an incompatibility with those modules.

What you are saying is right. When I first got it I checked it with memtest86+ and immediately send one package back because of errors. My memory is in the QVL (quality vendor list) so I assume it isn't a motherboard problem.

revengeofmonty
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I <3 my I7.

biliousfrog
09-04-2009, 09:15 AM
I've got a room full of boxes and a spanky looking case :)

revengeofmonty
09-04-2009, 09:16 AM
The internet demands pics of assembled goodness.

younglion
09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
I just built a Core i7 machine and I'm loving it. Of course I upgraded from a Pentium 4, so the jump in performance is huge.

wacom
09-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Hmmm, I'm constantly maxing out my 8 gigs of ram. :)

Sometimes that's because I have After Effects opened at the same time, but I still do it with just LW sometimes as well.

AE, as with most Adobe products, manages system resources like a program from the early 90's IMHO. It has to be the dumbest "modern" application I use when it comes to multithreading, RAM etc. People bring it up on the Adobe forums and get slammed down by the fan club and Adobe spin doctors.

Sorry- didn't mean to go off topic! Have fun with that new system! Are you sure you needed liquid cooling? Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen people hit that OC on air and with good temps. Still, never hurts to have it under control and leave head room! Wish I had WC!

Andyjaggy
09-04-2009, 09:45 AM
AE, as with most Adobe products, manages system resources like a program from the early 90's IMHO. It has to be the dumbest "modern" application I use when it comes to multithreading, RAM etc. People bring it up on the Adobe forums and get slammed down by the fan club and Adobe spin doctors.

Sorry- didn't mean to go off topic! Have fun with that new system! Are you sure you needed liquid cooling? Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen people hit that OC on air and with good temps. Still, never hurts to have it under control and leave head room! Wish I had WC!

Oh you don't have to tell me that. I agree 150%

Adobe is just freaking awful when it comes to using memory and CPU power.

I always say at work, nothing crashes my machine faster the After Effects.

Andyjaggy
09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm assuming you know about the "secret" menu.

Yeah, brilliant Adobe, let's hide useful functionality in a "secret menu" just like a game! Smart people there in that company.

biliousfrog
09-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Are you sure you needed liquid cooling? Maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I've seen people hit that OC on air and with good temps. Still, never hurts to have it under control and leave head room! Wish I had WC!

The H50 is around the same price as a good air cooler but has a number of benefits.

http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/

1 - it takes up much less room. It has a radiator that fits to, and is about the same size as, a 120mm fan then two hoses that attach to a small pump module on the CPU itself.

2 - In every review I've read it is averaging around 5-8 degrees cooler than the top air coolers such as Fenrir and Noctua HSF's.

3 - It's also rivalling (and in some cases beating) full blown liquid cooling setups.

4 - Did I mention that it's cheap? £58 which is the same price as the two air coolers I mentioned.

5 - It looks pretty cool me thinks ;)

I'm assuming you know about the "secret" menu.

um, no?...please tell.

Andyjaggy
09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
The secret menu is a menu in After Effects you have to hold down a certain key combination and then navigate to the preference menu. When you do it right a special menu pops up called the secret menu. It lets you control your memory when rendering After Effects compositions, basically you can tell it to flush the memory every certain amount of frames, so you don't run out of memory while rendering, which happens a lot in After Effects.

But Adobe felt it necessary to hide this functionality from it's users.

Lightwolf
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
AE, as with most Adobe products, manages system resources like a program from the early 90's IMHO.
Hey, no reason to slam other apps from the early 90's just because Adobe set a bad example ;)

Cheers,
Mike

wacom
09-04-2009, 11:25 AM
The secret menu is a menu in After Effects you have to hold down a certain key combination and then navigate to the preference menu. When you do it right a special menu pops up called the secret menu. It lets you control your memory when rendering After Effects compositions, basically you can tell it to flush the memory every certain amount of frames, so you don't run out of memory while rendering, which happens a lot in After Effects.

But Adobe felt it necessary to hide this functionality from it's users.

No I didn't know that! Why hide such a useful feature? I'll have to look it up...

OK so you open AE, hold down shift, and then go into preferences->general and release shift- hit previous and it's there. Really clever- so clever it's dumb.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/937757

Andyjaggy
09-04-2009, 11:29 AM
point proved. :D

TheDynamo
09-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Just imagine the resources that AE can waste once they make it a 64 bit app. ;)

If I can complete a full workweek without AE crashing my Mac Pro at least 4 times I consider it time to purchase a lottery ticket. Not to knock on my primary source of income too much however, it sure is one messy app. I wonder if Adobe is ever going to try and do a core-like remake of AE.

-Rob

Andyjaggy
09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Not gonna happen, Adobe write modern day application. Ha.

They just prefer to keep tacking junk on to what's allready there. But! I do love AE, for all it's problem it really is a great app.

Sorry for derailing the thread. :)

JonW
09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
6 sticks x 2 gb is ok but they do run very hot because they are so close to each other, even hotter if the voltage is turned up, but a fan easily fixes that.

If you put another lot of 3 x 2gb (6 gb) to double your ram to 12 gb, make sure you put the next lot of 2 x 3gb in the alternate slots & not next to each other in one group.

Running a second instance of LW for SN will fill in the gaps because LW depending on the scene doesnít quite use 100% CPU usage. Iíve found for my typical scenes, 1 x LW is about 93 - 95 % CPU usage. 2 x LW is about 99.5+ % usage.

But you may prefer 4.0Ghz above all else & having an i7 with this sort of power for baking radiosity is very worthwhile. & for programs which use less cores.

Attached, I have since removed the rear 120mm fan & put it on the rear of the box instead of the 2 x 80mm fans, everything is still cool enough. The 6 sticks of ram were extremely hot but now its ok with the 80mm fan.

BigHache
09-04-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd love to be able to drop in something like the H50, but that's not an option when your case is custom. I have 2x 92mm fans on the back of my case. Dang!

erikals
09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
just noticed, if one has an old computer using DDR2 ram, then AMD might be an option...

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Quad Core, AM2+/AM3, 3,4GHz, 8MB, Boxed

from wha ti know it is close to i7 perfomance, cheaper, and if you already have the old PC you already got the ram.

might be an alternative if ppl have a old, but bit outdated PC... ?

biliousfrog
09-09-2009, 05:25 AM
No pics of the PC yet although it's up and running with my Quadro FX1500 and rendering away.

Nice case although I wish that I'd got the silver one because I'm paranoid about scratching it.

The motherboard is amazing, so many SATA ports (10 I think) plus a breakout for a rear ESATA panel. It also has hardware RAID which should be great for RAID5 setups...no fans either, just heatpipes so it's nice and quiet. It also has LED's to show loading on the CPU, Northbridge and RAM which makes the case glow when under load :D

The H50 is also great, 34 degrees at idle, 44 degrees after 14hrs of rendering!...no really!

...and as for the PSU, well I've never had a PSU in a flock, drawstring bag before with another little pouch for the cables. Now I can have a geeky washbag :D

I had a problem with the overclocking settings, something was wrong with the BIOS so it was running at stock speeds even though the BIOS was showing it at 4GHZ. I reset to failsafe defaults and tested some small overclocks manually and it all seems ok now. Tech support said that removing the battery and reloading the overclock settings from the boot menu should fix it but I haven't had a chance to try it yet because it's rendering.

I've got it running at 3.8ghz currently. After 14hrs of non-stop rendering the CPU temp is only at 44 degrees!!!

The attached pic shows my 4 different machines rendering the same scene via BNR.

At the top is my 8-core workstation - 01:19
MacBlack is the overclocked [email protected] - 00:46
Render001 is a stock Q6600 - 01:44
Render002 is a stock i7 920 (2.66ghz) - 01:10

Not a huge render boost with such short frame times but, with an average of 25% over the stock 920, it should be interesting on longer frames. I can't wait to see what 4ghz is like.

revengeofmonty
09-09-2009, 06:04 AM
What kind of cooling are you running?

biliousfrog
09-09-2009, 07:12 AM
What kind of cooling are you running?

Corsair H50 on the CPU, 1x12cm sucking in from the front, 1x12cm blowing out of the side and the 12cm on the H50's radiator blowing out of the back. The H50 is supposed to pull cold air in but it would mean pulling air in from the back or side which would screw up the flow through the case.