PDA

View Full Version : The Olympic Construction Site

revengeofmonty
09-03-2009, 12:30 AM
As seen from my balcony.

Most of the site has a fence about 15-18 feet tall topped off with a further 4 feet of electric fence(!). Very Jurassic Park.

Security guards everywhere. The temptation to nude up and run through the construction site screaming incoherently is quite strong some days.

gatz
09-03-2009, 01:12 AM
I know one of the men responsible for planning the Olympic venues. It's one of those jobs you would never think about being a steady jig. But they are always working. And after you do one, you have a fairly specific expertise. Who else are they going use. Definitely in my top five coveted jobs.

Slick Systems
09-03-2009, 02:04 AM
Those piccy's look great, it's coming along quite well so far, we have a lot of our edge protection product down at the olympics and are on the supplier list for seating now! :-) All in all we're doing quite a bit down there at the mo.

They are asking us to keep things quiet so I can't reveal any detail about our activities, sorry.

I suspect I'll be poked into producing some visuals of the stuff we do for the ODA at some point in the future. I guess some of the literature I have produced has already been used to promote our products to the ODA.

'Lightwave at the Olympics' i can see the headline now....

I can see the temptation but wouldn't advise it as if they have electric fences then they may have other electrical safety devices and when used on bare skin I can imagine it would smart quite a bit!! :-)

Gatz : Who else would they use? well we would be a good candidate as it would only require a good project development manager and a good team behind them to facilitate such a development - and as we already build stadiums then it wouldn't be too much of a leap to produce a site like this - especially with a good sub contractor support network.

flakester
09-03-2009, 02:48 AM
*sniff* I can almost smell the pie & mash.

I'll have to get myself down to Maureen's in Chrisp Street Market as soon as I can, it's been too long.

I'm looking forwards to the Olympics more than I thought I would. Maybe it's just to see how good a job we can make of it.

@revengeofmonty: Thought one of your shots would make a half-decent faux tilt+shift....

--
flakester

Slick Systems
09-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Flakester: it looks like a little toytown model when you do that!! :-)

revengeofmonty
09-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Hee! Indeed it does!

@flakester: Have yet to get down to Chrisp street....slack!

Slick Systems
09-03-2009, 03:08 AM
There's always a 'Maureen' working in a pie shop eh! :-)

Get ye down t'chrisp st. for to sample Maureen's delights!! :-) LOL

akademus
09-03-2009, 03:29 AM
If I were you, I would fix my camera on a tripod and take a couple of snapshots every day.

When they are done with construction I would take all the images and make a time lapse movie out of it. You could get nice money selling that footage to BBC or Discovery or elsewere.

Anyhow, you will have a first class ticket to opening ceremony and great view of fireworks!

revengeofmonty
09-03-2009, 04:22 AM
@akademus Yes...did contemplate that a year ago...

So what do you think of the odd markings and layout in picture 3?

Slick Systems
09-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Pic 4 Isn't it?

revengeofmonty
09-03-2009, 04:58 AM
ARGH! Yes. Pic 4. Must stop snorting the drain cleaner before lunch.

Slick Systems
09-03-2009, 05:00 AM
It's not drain cleaner - it's lack of Maureens' pie from chrisp street!! :-)

(or perhaps it is Maureens pie from chrisp street!! :-o)

LOL

revengeofmonty
09-03-2009, 05:27 AM
Ye gods, are the pies there that good? Do they do steak and kidney?? You can't get decent steak and kidney in Australia.

OnlineRender
09-03-2009, 05:46 AM
if have a trade , brickie , spark whatever get down there soon , there throwing people at this project .

Slick Systems
09-03-2009, 06:24 AM
You'll have to ask flakester about the snake and pygmy pies!!

monovich
09-03-2009, 10:20 AM
looks like you are going to have a perfectly situated flat from which to enjoy the olympic festivities... although getting past security on the way home from grocery shopping might not be so fun. :)

revengeofmonty
09-04-2009, 12:31 AM
We are looking to hopefully buy a flat in this area and rent it out for the Olympics! PROFIT!! MWAH!....sorry.....

Slick Systems
09-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Just rent out your own rooms!! :-) saves money.

revengeofmonty
09-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Isn't subletting kinda against the law?

Slick Systems
09-04-2009, 03:05 AM
If it is then how do Lodgers get away with it? and student accomodation too - I had to live with a family whilst I was at College and they let out their rooms to students and lodgers? can't see much difference there!! :-)