PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #54 - Anime!

Nangleator
09-02-2009, 08:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - Anime!

Famous, obscure or your own; characters, clothing, weapons, vehicles... Anything anime.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday, 9th September, 22.00 UTC.

oobievision
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
cool, brings back the from japan challanges from a while back

JCG
09-03-2009, 01:53 AM
While this topic hits me right on my weakness, I think that it is next week's topic, since Mr. Feeney just won today(?) I think it's Mr. Nowhere Man's turn this week Yikes! ^_^;;;

Nangleator
09-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Dang, I really didn't mean to step on Nowhere Man's toes! There was a gap of a week when I won a challenge. I just assumed it went that way. What should we do?

R.Feeney
09-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Why not let this one run and nowhere man can do next week instead

oobievision
09-03-2009, 08:13 AM
15 min modeling, 2 hours texture lighting. from the anime Dragon Ball

Crossfire
09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
15 min modeling, 2 hours texture lighting. from the anime Dragon Ball

Very Nice oobievision! Good To See we have similar ideas!:thumbsup:

I'm working on a DBZ Scouter! I'm about 45 mins into modeling and will start texture and set-up here in a bit. I'll post the final when I get a chance.

Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with on this one.

oobievision
09-03-2009, 10:26 PM
This was 50 minutes wish I had more time to make it more complex, This is from bleach even though its not finished still looks cool.

Nangleator
09-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Oh, that's awesome, oobie!

oobievision
09-04-2009, 07:36 AM
heres my reference

oobievision
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
40 min modeling about 1 hour & 30 min texturing. From the Anime Death Note.
yes im off today and doing nothing :)

~Shinigami love Apples~

Nowhere Man
09-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Why not let this one run and nowhere man can do next week instead

Sure do, it was actually a kind of relief, since I wasn't satisfied with the subject I had :D

So no hard feelings Nangleator :thumbsup:

Nangleator
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
So no hard feelings Nangleator :thumbsup:
Groovy! Gives you more time to think!

oobie is an anime machine. I've unleashed a monster!

Crossfire
09-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Nice Work oobievision!:thumbsup:

oobievision
09-04-2009, 05:32 PM
lol yes I do watch alot of anime. If any of you need references heres a site with complete shows and anime movies.
http://www.animeseason.com

OnlineRender
09-06-2009, 12:23 PM
First time trying the challenge dont know if this would count ?

http://www.onlinerender.com/mini.jpg

Logo Revamp 2

http://www.onlinerender.com/cat9.bmp

Build Time :

5 Minutes tops , Drew with trace tool in Adobe Illustrator , eps into LW Modeller , messed about a little ,whalla

hope it counts

PEACE

Nangleator
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Nice logo, OnlineRender, and a good use of a time-saving tool, but here's how I would have done it. (I'm addicted to subpatches now.)

Once I have my outline in Modeler, I copy and paste it to a new layer, using the old layer as a reference. Then, I go around the outside and Weld Average big groups of points, leaving only points for a rough outline, and extra points for sharp corners. The fewer the better, but it's not necessary to be outrageously frugal.

Then, after I extrude the object, I leave one N-gon on the Z axis, so I can mirror across when I'm done. The other N-gon gets beveled inward so I have an edge loop running around the inside. Where I have tight corners, the points will overlap, but I just take those overlapping points and weld average them. If I weld them 3 at a time, I end up with 2 tris next to each other, which can be merged to form quads.

Then, I've still got an N-gon forming the face of the logo. To turn it into quads, I do one of 3 things.

1. Keep beveling inward and welding points that are close to each other until the N-gon is a quad. (This makes for an ugly mesh in the middle, and is a little time-consuming, but it works.)

2. Connect points all across the face of that N-gon until it's all divided up into quads. (This usually takes a little problem solving and adding points, when you've got convex and concave parts.)

3. Delete the N-gon and use the points to create curves for patching the face of the logo.

After the creation is all quads, and subpatched, I can use the background reference to drag around the smaller number of points to match the shape best.

This week's going to be an easier challenge to win, because Richard is away, and it's not looking like there will be a lot of entries. I'm entering myself, even though I can't win.

R.Feeney
09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Nice work so far guys.

its actually from next Wednesday that I am away but I decided to keep my head down for a few challenges. Before I really start to annoy, may be to late for that though. :D

I am still giving away most of the speed models that I have done over here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465), If anyone wants to join in I would love to see that

OnlineRender
09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Another attempt ,couldn't just leave at that
http://www.onlinerender.com/tcfinished.jpg

oobievision
09-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Thundercats are awesome great work!

OnlineRender
09-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Thundercats are awesome great work!

cheers much the Thundercats forum "well 1 person" like it aswell LOL

http://www.thundercatslair.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3450

I want to mess around with it a little more , back in 2 weeks

Peace

AdamAvenali
09-09-2009, 01:48 PM
pokemon - weedle

i have no idea what it is or what it does. i am the furthest thing from an expert on pokemon or anime in general, so here it is haha

modeling time - 24 minutes
texture/light/render time - 18 minutes

Nangleator
09-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I like that render, AdamAvenali!

JCG
09-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Paya Livingston, from Dai Mahou Touge

JCG
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
A quick 20 minute Chikorita.
I think I might still have time for one more...

JCG
09-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Ah, fail! ...again! :D
Completely messed up. Not even halfway through my devilbat mascot from Eyeshield 21.

Nangleator
09-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, it was a light week, but we had some late entries and some real interest in the subject.

oobievision's ball produced a beautiful render, but for modeling work, it's not quite up there with the intracacies of a winner!

Crossfire started on a scouter, but it looks like he didn't have time to finish. It looks like he'll have a nice nurny for some future projects, and I like the crisp edge work in his sub-D's.

oobievision's second entry, a great character mask, showed pretty lines and technique. Was the face done with spline patching? Were the teeth copied with Rail Clone and more than one background guide? This entry made me wish I had given a 90-minute time limit.

oobievision's third entry shows good composition and texturing. The subpatched pages of the book are a bit thick and too rounded, which is my only modeling gripe. Oh, I guess the top of the apple looks too much like the bottom of an apple, but it's a nice job of modeling in the time given. The lighting and tabletop texture are too rushed, not that it matters, but the reflection in the apple is way cool!

OnlineRender's ThunderCats logo came out pretty awesome, especially with those intense bump maps. While it isn't a subpatch object, the quality of the EPS file and the import would hide any faceting in all but an IMAX render.

AdamAvenali's Pokemon critter is adorable, and the render is a cool combination of cell shade and GI. The modeling isn't a display of technical genius, but it gets the job done, and in that render style would be enough work for a render of any size.

JCG slips some work in under the wire! Paya Livingston is a cute little number with a few lessons for modelers. That body is an inspiration of low-poly efficiency, and the ear roots, eyebrows and cap show tight control of mesh.

JCG's Chikorita is quite a bit more simple, but the precision shown in the mouth expression and the anime structure of the eye is really impressive. I would have liked to have seen a crease or fold down the center of the hair thing.

Well, decision time...

I have to give it to oobievision's Bleach mask. It isn't a complete face, but building a specific nose/eyes/mouth area in under an hour is a heck of a skill.

And I think JCG and AdamAvenali could crank out all the content for a Saturday morning cartoon series in a good afternoon.

Great work, all!

Nangleator
09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Oh, that was awesome, JCG! You're so good at characters!

AdamAvenali
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Congrats oobie! :thumbsup:

And I think JCG and AdamAvenali could crank out all the content for a Saturday morning cartoon series in a good afternoon.

and thank you for the kind words Nangleator!

oobievision
09-09-2009, 09:32 PM
thank you, actually its all done with organic modeling I did a basic head with no features and just adjusted, it seemed as though the models geometry just fell into place. I froze it 1 then started on the teeth made one then used this Lscript that clones along a 2 point poly chain normals then just a bit of stretch here there deleted more polys adjust the jaw line a poof almost an hour gone. if u would like the model u can have it.

oobievision
09-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Here are 2 of the models the mask and deathnote

Crossfire
09-10-2009, 03:56 AM
Great Job All!:thumbsup:

flakester
09-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Ack! Sorry I missed this one, I was nose-to-the-grindstone. :(

Congrats Oobie! :thumbsup: Well deserved.

--
flakester

oobievision
09-12-2009, 07:26 AM
Im getting errors packing the scene sO I had to do it manually