PDA

View Full Version : One impact of mobile communications technology

Mike_RB
09-02-2009, 01:53 PM
For the sake of other drivers, and especially those of us that ride motorcycles.... Please keep both hands occupied with operating the vehicle and both eyes on the road at all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_7qC6YFo

Excellent PSA on texting while driving.

Andyjaggy
09-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Great video, if that doesn't scare you enough to keep you from texting while driving, I don't know what will.

But. I'm a good driver while texting, I'm not like all those other idiots, I'm special, I's got lots of smarts that lets me talk and drive good at same time.

Mike_RB
09-02-2009, 02:13 PM
The crap people do while driving is insane. When you're on a bike all your attention is focused on operation of the bike and whats trying to kill you on the road ahead. I just wish more people rode so they their car driving would be better.

AdamAvenali
09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
this reminds me of the 'the problem with todays kids' thread. to get the point across they had to go graphic with the images whereas back in the day two dudes in sombreros did the trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxwCY-IlGOs

my on-road motorcycle experience is very limited. i would guess that 99% of my riding is closed-course mx racing where i'm more worried about some guy landing on the back of my head. the few times i have ridded on the road i was paranoid about everyone around me.

RebelHill
09-02-2009, 02:53 PM
these psa's are all well and good, but I dont think they change anyones behaviour, irrespective of how graphic or realistic they are, they just preach to the converted. A shame for sure, but there u have it imho.

Mike_RB
09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
these psa's are all well and good, but I dont think they change anyones behaviour, irrespective of how graphic or realistic they are, they just preach to the converted. A shame for sure, but there u have it imho.

Maybe. But it really drives me crazy seeing people taking other peoples lives for granted like this. I would welcome draconian laws with heavy fines and license removal for the clowns operating devices like this while on the road. A few days with digital SLR's and using the existing laws regarding 'undue care and attention while driving' would do the trick. Probably take care of police budget issues for a while too.

DiscreetFX
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Scary but very true video.

OnlineRender
09-02-2009, 05:21 PM
go on google street and pick a random street ,your nieghbourhood , whatever , ill bet you will see at least one person driving with there phone attached to there face.

cresshead
09-02-2009, 06:33 PM
intersting to note that in the vid the driver...the cause of the crash...survived cos of her airbag but her friends died...

me and mobile phones don't get on...i have to stop doing ANYTHING, sit down to write a text...and i'm only able to do this recently when i bought a LG cookie as it has a qwerty keyboard o the touch screen.

people should have an automatic 1 year ban for holding a phone whilst driving..no fine alternative at all..banned and the phone destroyed.

borkus
09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
These PSA's scare a few people, so it's better than nothing. Mike nailed a point perfectly. In a perfect world, everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle for at least a year. You gain a much greater appreciation of the road. It would make a lot of people think twice of the stupid ***** they do on the road that they have to share with others... I had a '97 Kawasaki Ninja in '99 and parked in '00. It just wasn't worth it... Was run off the road 4 times and had too many other minor but close calls. The final one was when I got run off the road at 50 mph. Some guy in a car looked at me from about 200 yards back and practically waited for me to get there to pull out of his drive way. I took evasive maneuvers and veered on to his lawn. There was ***** all over the yard and a clothes line that I had to dodge. After finally dumping the bike and tucking and rolling, I came to a stop. I get my bearings and he's already on me *****ing about what I had done to the yard... To say my circuit reached critical resistance is an understatement... I drove it home and put the keys on the wall and put a for sale sign on the windshield and haven't ridden since. I miss it a lot. Especially on those really nice days... But, it's not worth it. Too many idiots on the road. I take what little solace I can get from having a metal frame engulfing me now. At least I have that protection now. I offer another example. There was a local girl here that was extremely smart. Very good looking... Most of you know where this is going. She was going to school for political science. Her professors said that she was going to make great changes and be a person to look up to by many, even in the field. She returned to Maine for the summer and was vacationing up north with her family. She was riding by herself up towards Solon. She was struck as she entered a corner by a woman in a Dodge minivan. The woman was doing her makeup in the mirror coming through a corner that wraps around for almost 220 degrees with trees on both sides of the road. Kirsten was killed instantly. No chance. Just dead. The woman suffered minor injuries and was released 2 days later. The state took her license for a year. It was supposed to be for three to five, but she appealed in court saying that she needed her license for her kids and her job. Her kids and her job....? What about the life she snuffed out? I don't know how it is in other states. The one I live in disgusts me to the point of not wanting to know how bad it is in the rest of the country... But, it would appear (through reading the papers and seeing it time and time again) that you can get more time in prison for embezzling from a wealthy corporation than you can taking a life on the road... I called my local congressman at the time and asked if he would like to attend Kirsten's funeral. He replied in a typed and unsigned letter saying that he wished he could, but he was going to not attend. Kirsten would have been his assistant a year and a half after her death... So, to say that this subject gets my blood to it's boiling point is obvious. I won't even enter on the debate of drunk drivers... Well, for a second. I believe all judges should have a large caliber pistol on their desk, ready for OUI offenders that have been involved in an accident that killed someone.

Mike_RB
09-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I had a '97 Kawasaki Ninja in '99 and parked in '00. It just wasn't worth it...

I ride a 2001 Honda VFR. Anyone else ride?

jameswillmott
09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
For the sake of other drivers, and especially those of us that ride motorcycles.... Please keep both hands occupied with operating the vehicle and both eyes on the road at all times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF0_7qC6YFo

Excellent PSA on texting while driving.

That's just nasty. Well made short, not a pleasant treatment though...

Good call re: motorcycles, but include bicycles as well, we're even less visible that motorcyclists and don't have the advantage of being able to get out of trouble quickly...

Nicolas Jordan
09-02-2009, 10:19 PM
That video is really well done. You can even hear the one girls neck snap that is riding on the front passenger side shortly after the car is hit a second time. Many accidents are even more graphic than this though with severed limbs and bodies in some which would add even more shock value to the point of making viewers feel sick.

Nicolas Jordan
09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
These PSA's scare a few people, so it's better than nothing. Mike nailed a point perfectly. In a perfect world, everyone should be required to ride a motorcycle for at least a year. You gain a much greater appreciation of the road. It would make a lot of people think twice of the stupid ***** they do on the road that they have to share with others... I had a '97 Kawasaki Ninja in '99 and parked in '00. It just wasn't worth it... Was run off the road 4 times and had too many other minor but close calls. The final one was when I got run off the road at 50 mph. Some guy in a car looked at me from about 200 yards back and practically waited for me to get there to pull out of his drive way. I took evasive maneuvers and veered on to his lawn. There was ***** all over the yard and a clothes line that I had to dodge. After finally dumping the bike and tucking and rolling, I came to a stop. I get my bearings and he's already on me *****ing about what I had done to the yard... To say my circuit reached critical resistance is an understatement... I drove it home and put the keys on the wall and put a for sale sign on the windshield and haven't ridden since. I miss it a lot. Especially on those really nice days... But, it's not worth it. Too many idiots on the road. I take what little solace I can get from having a metal frame engulfing me now. At least I have that protection now. I offer another example. There was a local girl here that was extremely smart. Very good looking... Most of you know where this is going. She was going to school for political science. Her professors said that she was going to make great changes and be a person to look up to by many, even in the field. She returned to Maine for the summer and was vacationing up north with her family. She was riding by herself up towards Solon. She was struck as she entered a corner by a woman in a Dodge minivan. The woman was doing her makeup in the mirror coming through a corner that wraps around for almost 220 degrees with trees on both sides of the road. Kirsten was killed instantly. No chance. Just dead. The woman suffered minor injuries and was released 2 days later. The state took her license for a year. It was supposed to be for three to five, but she appealed in court saying that she needed her license for her kids and her job. Her kids and her job....? What about the life she snuffed out? I don't know how it is in other states. The one I live in disgusts me to the point of not wanting to know how bad it is in the rest of the country... But, it would appear (through reading the papers and seeing it time and time again) that you can get more time in prison for embezzling from a wealthy corporation than you can taking a life on the road... I called my local congressman at the time and asked if he would like to attend Kirsten's funeral. He replied in a typed and unsigned letter saying that he wished he could, but he was going to not attend. Kirsten would have been his assistant a year and a half after her death... So, to say that this subject gets my blood to it's boiling point is obvious. I won't even enter on the debate of drunk drivers... Well, for a second. I believe all judges should have a large caliber pistol on their desk, ready for OUI offenders that have been involved in an accident that killed someone.

Something is definitely wrong when the woman that hit the girl even has the nerve to ask for them to give her license back. You would think that something like that would at least make a person feel guilty.

I also agree with your statement about drunk drivers that end up killing someone. The government doesn't want to pay to have them in prison all their life so why not just get rid of them the cheap way.

dee
09-03-2009, 08:54 AM
This is a nice one to: http://www.academyfilms.com/flash/#/academy/content/online/coi_army_waiting_to_happen_seb_edwards

biliousfrog
09-03-2009, 09:22 AM

:agree:

The problem in the UK, and probably many other countries, is that there are thousands of people driving without licenses, without paying road tax, without insurance, talking on phones, drunk, on drugs...unless they're caught they won't change.

It's quite common for people in the UK to be banned from driving before they even pass their test because they're driving without a full license...so what do they do?....carry on driving without a license. There's no point in taking their test because it will be taken away as soon as they pass. The problem is that without a license they're not insured so if they have an accident with someone else they're left to pick up the pieces.

My girlfriend runs a fairly comprehensive driving school, she's an advanced driver, got her bike license, HGV, PCV, and she runs courses for the council on speed awareness. It's a scheme which allows people who are caught speeding to opt-in to a short course on better driving rather than have points on their license. They're shown videos like that one, taught some advanced driving techniques, given some up to date advice on road safety (some took their test 50 years ago)...but she says that 90% of the people on the course who are under 30 have no interest in the course whatsoever, they just don't want any points or get banned. The older people tend to be more keen to improve for the safety of others, usually because they have kids themselves.

wacom
09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
GET OFF YOUR PHONES IDIOTS- IS THE CALL WORTH YOUR LIFE OR SOMEONE ELSE'S?

Well, you wouldn't use a type writer while driving, so why text?

The fact is mobile phone use while driving is just idiotically stupid. You can say you need it and so on. NO, you don't. I'm old enough to have lived when often homes maybe only had 1 or two CORDED phones, and you didn't get calls all the time for the dumbest things.

Now people make calls to just say "hi" to someone they're about to meet for lunch or about to pull into their driveway. Ask yourself this- how many phone calls seem even semi-relevant? I can only imagine what twitter nonsense people are doing in their cars.

Call me a crusty old man of 33, but there are also ample amounts of data to show that just talking on a mobile phone is = to being drunk. Texting is like being wasted. Their is also ample data to show that this great term "multi-tasking" is complete and utter BS. Your brain is single core and not really multi-threaded when it comes to anything above the most primitive functions. Really- that's just the way it is so don't try and argue you're different. What that means is for each second you spend talking and thinking about the other person you're not really driving- you're a passenger.

I have friends that call me when driving- I always try and tell them to call me when they're not in the car, and at least give them crap about it.

I'm of the opinion that if you are in an accident while driving you should have to hand over your phone records for the last hour, and if you were talking on the phone while driving, it should be a serious fine = to if you were in an accident and drinking.

wacom
09-03-2009, 12:02 PM
I ride a 2001 Honda VFR. Anyone else ride?

I just got done taking a MC safety course. I've only ridden now three times in my life (twice on the course, once off on my brother's VFR). Additionally I've ridden a bicycle now in heavy traffic for some time (about six years). I know it's not the same esp. due to the speed, but you are even less visible.

All I can say is that when you are exposed like that you start to REALLY pay attention to the road and its hazards WAY more than if you're in a car (at least if you want to live). I'm sure you know this Mike better than I! You quickly realize that people do the DUMBEST things in cars without even knowing it- and people on phones are about 10x more likely to do dumb things.

A car is like being in a movie in comparison since you're so separated from the outside world- and it gives you a false sense of security IMHO.

So on a bicycle I knew people were idiots- now haven ridden a scooter and a motorcycle I'm even more aware and can only imagine I'll get to interact at even higher speeds with "driving stupidity". Oh happy days!

On a side note- my brother was a horrible driver until he starting ridding his motorcycle. Now that he knows the dangers cars pose he's much better and more responsible (at least in a car).

Andyjaggy
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm proud that Utah has some of the strictest laws against this.

If you are in an accident that kills someone and you were texting on your phone, it is punishable by up to 15 years in prison in Utah.

Mike_RB
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm proud that Utah has some of the strictest laws against this.

If you are in an accident that kills someone and you were texting on your phone, it is punishable by up to 15 years in prison in Utah.

That's still an after the fact kind of thing. They should blitz enforce this BEFORE people get hurt. It would be so easy to just snap pics of people on cells and lic plates for a few days... Budget issues solved.

Mike_RB
09-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I just got done taking a MC safety course. I've only ridden now three times in my life (twice on the course, once off on my brother's VFR). Additionally I've ridden a bicycle now in heavy traffic for some time (about six years). I know it's not the same esp. due to the speed, but you are even less visible.

Cool stuff. Any idea what you want to ride? What gen is your brothers VFR?

Andyjaggy
09-03-2009, 12:33 PM
That's still an after the fact kind of thing. They should blitz enforce this BEFORE people get hurt. It would be so easy to just snap pics of people on cells and lic plates for a few days... Budget issues solved.

True.

So on my way to work this morning, I get stuck behind this really slow car. I finally get a chance to pass them, as I'm going by them I look over, and low and behold, it's a girl putting on her makeup. At least she wasn't texting while putting makeup on....... but she probably does that too.

Mike_RB
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
True.

So on my way to work this morning, I get stuck behind this really slow car. I finally get a chance to pass them, as I'm going by them I look over, and low and behold, it's a girl putting on her makeup. At least she wasn't texting while putting makeup on....... but she probably does that too.

Yah.... Again all 4 limbs and both eyes should be employed in operating the vehicle... But people will always have screaming kids they are trying to hand sippy cups too and things... But the ones that can be enforced should be. Hand and phone at ear and texting would be easy to ticket.

hrgiger
09-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Well, we are our own worst enemy. How else do we thin the herds without good old fashioned stupidity.

probiner
09-03-2009, 06:56 PM
No, our worst enemie, makes us our "worst enemie" :P

I don't drive yet. But must feel like a videogame with pause button to young ppl like me, after you get ahead of the basics.

Matt
09-04-2009, 12:48 AM
Despite it being illegal in the UK, I still see soooooooo many idiots on their phones, I often try and say the words "off the phone" if they drive passed and look at me.

Red_Oddity
09-04-2009, 01:42 AM
It's terrible overhere aswell, even if it is illegal, i still see many people just blabbing on the phone while driving, what the hell is so important you have to endanger other people instead of finding a place to stop and talk or just wait till you get where you where going.

I go to work on the bicycle as i only live 3.5 km from our studio, but in that small trip people always manage to almost run me over atleast 1 time a week (and Dutch roads always have special bicycle roads next to them (if you have seen photo's , it usually are the red colored roads next to the normal road for cars))

I have seen some really weird behaviour by some drivers, even seen someone in a jeep ploughing his way through pedestrians just because he apparently didn't wan't to wait for 10 seconds.

Also, i have been pushed into the curb or off the road so many times by these rich and bored housewives driving these ridiculously big SUV and Hummers just because they have no feel of the size of the car, they still think they drive a normal sized car and don't realize what they are actually are driving are pimped trucks.

They should pull theses offenders of the road, suspend their drivers license for at least a year, fine them and have the vehicle pressed into a cube and have the driver pay for the removal costs, and when they are allowed to drive again only allow them to drive again after having them passing driving exams again.

People only seem to learn when they are fined in such a ridiculous manner or when they have killed or paralyzed someone for life, whichever comes first.

JBT27
09-04-2009, 02:33 PM
There's a certain box-ticking obscenity to these PSAs - a government department decides that this is the way to get the message out, they engage a design agency who in turn hire a production company, and everyone is carried along fully believing they are doing the public good with their creative expertise .....

..... except they are not. That looked like any other 'major' rta sequence from any of a fistful of hospital dramas.

It's sanitised and it's meaningless.

We were driving along one of those narrow country lanes down in Cornwall, seven years ago. Tall hedges, woodland either side, late afternoon, sunny autumn day. Came out of a tight bend, and slowed to a stop - two cars in the road ahead, and the fragments of a motorbike, a wheel just coming to a stop and smoke curling from the shattered engine. People were standing around in the road, looking down and away from the front of one car, which the bike had clearly hit. I remember an elderly guy got a blanket out of one car and draped it across whatever was left of the poor sod lying on the road in front of that car. I didn't see anything of it, and it was arguably itself a sanitised scene from where we were in our car. But I remember the dreadful silence, the people standing about, and the old guy draping the blanket down - it was so utterly shocking and upsetting, in so many ways that that PSA is not.

I guess it's worth the attempt if it reminds a few not to do that, but ultimately it's a piece of TV, sandwiched between other fictional dramas, and I reckon that's largely how people view it.

It might be that the medium is fine, but it requires more of an edgier approach. Heads bashing windows, fake blood and the kid asking why his mum and dad won't wake up doesn't cut it - cliched and predictable.

The PSA where the lads in the pub are eyeing up that girl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVbSB2vz_8

works pretty well I reckon - out of context, short and sharp. PSA's need to be alot more like that, imo.

Anyway, a proportion of people are just plain stupid and uncaring, and as long as it only happens on telly, they'll carry on doing it. I live by a main road and seeing people texting and phoning is a day-long occurrence, and that includes truck drivers. The classic the other day was a truck driver with a clipboard up to his face obscuring his view while driving at 30mph or so ..... stupid, that's all - no cure for that, yet.

Julian.