PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.6 Extremely Buggy

boomforeal
08-31-2009, 10:07 PM
Look is it just me or is Lightwave 9.6 extremely buggy?....I'm on a Mac 10.5.8 and the software is virtually unusable...I'm constantly having scene files that wont open...Or will open and then later they wont.
It may be unique to my scene files, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced problem with 9.6 on the Mac?

battery555
09-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Hey boomforeal,
You might want to try to set the dynamic update to "OFF" under bounding box threshold. My layout become very crashy when I use the dope sheet, but it seems to solve the problem when I did that. Hope it helps :D

Steph
09-01-2009, 01:28 AM
Hey

I have a lot of problem with scene that don't open sometimes and sometimes they open.(I see the window showing the loading, and after, I'm waiting for ages to see the openGL preview and have to force Layout to quit).

These problems are persistents since at least 9.5. I'm running 10.5.8 now but I have seen these on 10.5.7 or even 10.5.6.

I have investigate that it append on scene with Fiber FX or the deform plugin MorphMixer on one or several objets. I have deleted the plugin of theses scene from a text editor and after, the scene can load.
But perhaps the problem is else where.

I have seen that some times, trying to apply and/or modify the Morphmixer on an objet made the layout freeze. Don' know if this problem is related.

This is a critical bug and I have no solutions. It come to problems with customer waiting for the job to be done. It make Lightwave non usable in a professionnal way and it makes me very angry!

I have send a bug report to Newtek but I don't know If they can reproduce the bug. I would like to see someone at newtek says that they are or not informed that there is a probleme and that they are trying to kill this bug.

I would like to see too if someone else have these kinds of bugs.

Sorry for my poor english.

Otterman
09-01-2009, 01:41 AM
You guys are certainly not alone-there has been several mac users experiencing this unexpecting hanging of lightwave-its known as beachball rage. Its a real show stopper-Im just hoping its address with 9.6.1

Kuzey
09-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Hey

I have a lot of problem with scene that don't open sometimes and sometimes they open.(I see the window showing the loading, and after, I'm waiting for ages to see the openGL preview and have to force Layout to quit).

These problems are persistents since at least 9.5. I'm running 10.5.8 now but I have seen these on 10.5.7 or even 10.5.6.

I have investigate that it append on scene with Fiber FX or the deform plugin MorphMixer on one or several objets. I have deleted the plugin of theses scene from a text editor and after, the scene can load.
But perhaps the problem is else where.

I have seen that some times, trying to apply and/or modify the Morphmixer on an objet made the layout freeze. Don' know if this problem is related.

This is a critical bug and I have no solutions. It come to problems with customer waiting for the job to be done. It make Lightwave non usable in a professionnal way and it makes me very angry!

I have send a bug report to Newtek but I don't know If they can reproduce the bug. I would like to see someone at newtek says that they are or not informed that there is a probleme and that they are trying to kill this bug.

I would like to see too if someone else have these kinds of bugs.

Sorry for my poor english.

Send in the bug report anyway...just to be on the safe side.

Also, include the LW scenes if you can.

Kuzey

Steph
09-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Hey Kuzye

I have already report the bugs to Newtek with a test scene.

Kuzey
09-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Cool...nice going :thumbsup:

Hopefully they can fix the issues.

Kuzey

Jockomo
09-01-2009, 06:39 AM
NewTek should be pretty embarrassed at the latest releases of Lightwave on the mac. Like so much so that they refund part of your upgrade price.

I had to laugh the other day when my progress bar said that my sequence was -2trillion percent done.

Kuzey
09-01-2009, 06:58 AM
NewTek should be pretty embarrassed at the latest releases of Lightwave on the mac. Like so much so that they refund part of your upgrade price.

I had to laugh the other day when my progress bar said that my sequence was -2trillion percent done.

They did say they left a lot of UI bugs so the port to Cocoa would be easier. It's not the final version by a long shot, I hoping all of these bugs won't be in the gold version of LW Cocoa.

The Mac version of LW 9.6 should have continued to be in beta, but I guess there were pressure to release it with the Core and what not.

Kuzey

4dartist
09-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Steph and Boomforreal, are you using the hub? If so have you tried w/out the hub running? To disable it, rename the Hub file. Lightwave is really stable for us on the latest Leopard. Snow Leopard has some slight issues, but no show stoppers (so far). None of us use the hub however because of it's awesome ability to crash lightwave.

When using LW w/out a hub, you need to get familiar with all the load object commands and how they work, it will save you time. Like if you have a 10 layer object, you update it in modeler, then in layout select layer 1, hit 'replace object' and it will refresh all 10 layers. Stuff like that.

robertoortiz
09-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Funny,
I am using 9.6 on a Mac at work, and it has been as stable as a rock.

Steph
09-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks for your comments everybody

and yes, I try without the Hub. I'm a long time LW user, so, when something go wrong, I know that i have to try delete configs and disable the Hub !!

boomforeal
09-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeahr I've tried disabling the Hub and I still have troubles loading scene files....I agree with Steph in that it could be related to a bug with Morph Mixer....I also suspect that it may even be related to scene files in which you have multiple objects with bones and inverse kinematics.
The fact is that as it stands Lightwave 9.6 is unusable in a professional manner as you simply cannot guarantee that the scene files will open...Not good when working to deadlines (or at all for that matter).
Fingers crossed the Cocoa Update will sort these issues out.

Otterman
09-02-2009, 01:20 AM
The fact is that as it stands Lightwave 9.6 is unusable in a professional manner as you simply cannot guarantee that the scene files will open...Not good when working to deadlines (or at all for that matter).
Fingers crossed the Cocoa Update will sort these issues out.

Agreed!

boomforeal
09-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Ok...Well I think I've found a way around the Bug that causes scenes to fail to load....

1) first remove one of the objects in your scene file from its folder and load your scene.
2) This forces Layout to ask where it is and prompts you to re-link to the object...Put the object back in its folder and then re-link.

The scene should then load properly....It's a bit annoying to do this but hey its better then losing the scene all together along with hours of work.

Steph
09-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey Boomforeal

I haved try this method in the past with some scene that cause problems, but it's not always OK (some time, after indicating the new objet emplacement, the freeze append). But is some case, yes, it can save your work.

avkills
09-04-2009, 11:43 AM
9.6 has been really stable for me on 10.5.7 on the MacPro at work; even with the HUB enabled. I am in the middle of a project which is why I have not upgraded to 10.5.8 on the main edit machine. The 2 racked MacPros have 10.5.8 (which may be the cause of the weird ScreamerNet issue I posted).

-mark

danielkaiser
09-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I know I'm on Windoze but this sounds like a display problem.

boomforeal
09-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Some Progess....I found that I was running the Lightwave 9.6 (Universal Binary) update on an Intel based Mac....This version is what I have found to be extremely buggy (mainly when your dealing with complex or large scenes).
I just recently downloaded and installed the Power PC version (theres two mac 9.2 version updates).
The Power PC versions seems to be a lot more stable on my Intel OS 10.5.8 machine...So fingers crossed.

4dartist
09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
The PPC versions will render about 1/2 as fast as the UB version. I'm pretty sure it runs in Rosetta, which emulates the PPC environment. Just so you know. Other than that, they run fine as far as I remember.

9.6 UB is what you should be running, but sorry to hear about your instability, that's no fun at all. I hope you get it all sorted.

boomforeal
09-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeahr...I realize its slower but I guess a half paced render is better then no render at all....Unfortunately its the only option I have that enables me to open the specific scene files I've been working on.

PeteS
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
wow..9.6 has been real solid for me at work. Surised to hear al the problems.

ingo
10-02-2009, 01:52 AM
I just upgraded to 9.6UB and must say its a pretty rough ride, especially when dealing with two different Macs, one G5 and one MM. What runs on one makes problems on the other, it seems it runs smoother when i build my old scenes new now that there is a lot more info saved in the scene files - they are nearly twice as big now.