PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 16:9 Output out of Your 2.0 series TriCaster™

Quiet1onTheSet
08-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Here are some considerations, that are LIVE PRODUCTION based - that enable you to get highest quality, 16:9 video out of 2.0 series TriCaster™ models, when recording to an external 16:9 capable record deck.

[it would also be nice to] be able to record in 16:9 without the video being squeezed.

If your TriCaster is utilizing 2.0 or later version of TriCaster software, then you've already got the ability to output a 16:9 SD signal to the built-in hard disk, as well as to an external, 16:9 capable video record deck.

This can be done during LIVE PRODUCTION: You'd begin by simply going to the ADMIN panel, and from there, launch TriCaster™ in the 16:9 Mode.

Once that's done, all 16:9 Video (and iVGA™ Ext) sources to the TriCaster 2.0 series Live Production switcher, will be properly sent to the LIVE output.

Therefore, an external 16:9 capable DV or HDV recording deck will record with the proper aspect ratio kept intact.

But what if some sources to the switcher are in 4:3 aspect, as might be the case with an older camera you've got in the mix?

As Steve Bowie says, "TriCaster™ LiveSET™ Utilities to the rescue!"
Virtually any 4:3 input source to the switcher in Live Production, can be stretched into a 16:9 aspect, via the LiveSET™ "Aspect" Utility, by

1. Going to the INPUT SETUP tab (you'd do well to make sure that the Follow Preview checkbox is enabled:
2. Then, select onto the Preview Row, the 4:3 source you wish to stretch to 16:9.
3. Enable the LIVESET checkbox.
4. Just below that, select Utilities from the bottom of the upper drop-down list.
5. Finally, select the appropriate Aspect utility that's marked by two opposing horizontal arrows, each facing the outer left and right edges of the screen icon.

Result: all video inputs will be output to the PREVIEW and LIVE onscreen displays as 16:9, while the LIVE video output to your external recording deck will be recorded as 16:9, as you're recording from any of the TriCaster outputs.

Important note:[/B]
Make certain though, that your HDV record deck's menu is set up so as to receive a standard def, 16:9 DV signal input (if such menu adjustment is available). Be advised also, that currently, TriCaster will not output DV via Firewire, during LIVE PRODUCTION.

Q1

billmi
08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
The utility LiveSets are handy, and often overlooked. I use the vertical flip on an overhead camera when shooting product demos.

DHTVPro
06-08-2010, 11:01 AM
thanks for this post...very helpful. we're working on this right now...we're gettin the 16:9 files recorded to the tricaster(mpg & mp3) but the live output appears to be 16:9 letterbox....in other words it's a 4:3 video file with 16:9 image.

is there any way to drop the mpg from the tricaster recording into the media editor and render/export a file that is true 16:9 - not 4:3 with letter box:?:help:

SBowie
06-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't believe any TC product records letter-boxed video, actually - or at least, unless you really go out of your way to produce that result deliberately.

SD 16:9 video files do have the identical resolution as SD 4:3 files, though (not just TriCaster's ... all of them).

Quiet1onTheSet
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
thanks for this post...very helpful. You're most welcome!

we're working on this right now...we're gettin the 16:9 files recorded to the tricaster(mpg & mp3) but the live output appears to be 16:9 letterbox....in other words it's a 4:3 video file with 16:9 image.

Do us a bit of a favor DHTVPro, so as to enhance our ability to appropriately offer you a helpful reply:

1. How many video sources did you have connected to your TriCaster, when the MPEG and MP3 files were generated and recorded to the internal drive?

2. Were those aforementioned files TriCasterized to hard disk, with a version 2.0 machine? (Let's hope so.)

3. During the Live Production session that produced the MPEG2 and Mp3 files, were any of the INPUT sources (referenced in Q.1 above) of the 4:3 aspect ratio?

4. If the answer to Q.3 is "Yes", then, did you remember to also apply the appropriate LiveSet™ ASPECT UTILITY (e.g., horizontal stretch) as instructed in this thread's original post (#1)?

A Post-Production Question from DHTVPro

Is there any way to drop the mpg from the tricaster recording into the media editor and render/export a file that is true 16:9 - not 4:3 with letter box:?:help:

Now that we're discussion post-production solution to working with files you've already created with TriCaster 2.x...
my initial response is that I'm almost certain you can alter the aspect of an existing file in Post, via the TriCaster EDIT MEDIA interface.

Within EDIT MEDIA,
1. Drag the clip you want to alter into the Timeline or Storyboard, whichever you prefer.
2. Click once on the clip to highlight it, thereby making it ready to be acted upon within the CONTROLS tab.
3. click once on the CONTROLS tab, and
4. in the window that opens, go to the appropriate node (it may be labeled LAYER -- I'm not sure, since I'm not at the TriCaster at the moment) then open it to reveal the ASPECT ratio control. Here, dial in the appropriate horizontal and/or vertical pixel quantity you desire, to get the shape you're looking for.
5. Once satisfied with the result, use the RENDER button at the lower right portion of the EDIT MEDIA panel, to render your clip in the desired format.

Or...

In lieu of step 4 above, scroll down the Control "tree", looking for "height" and "width" controls, making the appropriate adjustment to stretch the image to the extent you desire, so as to eliminate the black "letterbox" or "pillarbox" that resides outside the picture area of your clip.

Or...
Use the TOOLSHED

1. click once ont the clip to highlight it
2. Under controls > Toolshed > Presets > Video, select the appropriate ASPECT RATIO you desire.
3. Render the clip in the desired format of your choice, using the RENDER button at the lower right of the EDIT MEDIA interface.

Again, DHTVPro, if you'd kindly take a moment to answer the several queries in this post, your response might go a long way to help us in giving you the precise advice you need. I've only been speculating that this reply you're reading now will be helpful.

Meanwhile, any needed corrections by anyone, to any errant info I may have inadvertently posted here is encouraged.

Sincerely,
Q1

BradB
01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
You're most welcome!

Do us a bit of a favor DHTVPro, so as to enhance our ability to appropriately offer you a helpful reply:

1. How many video sources did you have connected to your TriCaster, when the MPEG and MP3 files were generated and recorded to the internal drive?

2. Were those aforementioned files TriCasterized to hard disk, with a version 2.0 machine? (Let's hope so.)

3. During the Live Production session that produced the MPEG2 and Mp3 files, were any of the INPUT sources (referenced in Q.1 above) of the 4:3 aspect ratio?

4. If the answer to Q.3 is "Yes", then, did you remember to also apply the appropriate LiveSet™ ASPECT UTILITY (e.g., horizontal stretch) as instructed in this thread's original post (#1)?

A Post-Production Question from DHTVPro

Now that we're discussion post-production solution to working with files you've already created with TriCaster 2.x...
my initial response is that I'm almost certain you can alter the aspect of an existing file in Post, via the TriCaster EDIT MEDIA interface.

Within EDIT MEDIA,
1. Drag the clip you want to alter into the Timeline or Storyboard, whichever you prefer.
2. Click once on the clip to highlight it, thereby making it ready to be acted upon within the CONTROLS tab.
3. click once on the CONTROLS tab, and
4. in the window that opens, go to the appropriate node (it may be labeled LAYER -- I'm not sure, since I'm not at the TriCaster at the moment) then open it to reveal the ASPECT ratio control. Here, dial in the appropriate horizontal and/or vertical pixel quantity you desire, to get the shape you're looking for.
5. Once satisfied with the result, use the RENDER button at the lower right portion of the EDIT MEDIA panel, to render your clip in the desired format.

Or...

In lieu of step 4 above, scroll down the Control "tree", looking for "height" and "width" controls, making the appropriate adjustment to stretch the image to the extent you desire, so as to eliminate the black "letterbox" or "pillarbox" that resides outside the picture area of your clip.

Or...
Use the TOOLSHED

1. click once ont the clip to highlight it
2. Under controls > Toolshed > Presets > Video, select the appropriate ASPECT RATIO you desire.
3. Render the clip in the desired format of your choice, using the RENDER button at the lower right of the EDIT MEDIA interface.

Again, DHTVPro, if you'd kindly take a moment to answer the several queries in this post, your response might go a long way to help us in giving you the precise advice you need. I've only been speculating that this reply you're reading now will be helpful.

Meanwhile, any needed corrections by anyone, to any errant info I may have inadvertently posted here is encouraged.

Sincerely,
Q1
Thanks for the detailed response, but I can't seem to get any of these methods working on my 2.5 TC-100 series TriCaster.

1. There are no LiveSet™ utilities on any of the inputs.

2. I've worked on using the "Edit Media" post production techniques you've described with no luck so far.

I highlight the clip, go to controls, and click the "Size" node (There is not ASPECt node, even within the LAYER nodes). In the size node it's already set to a 16:9 aspect ratio, so I mark the "X Size" and "Y Size" with x's (clicking on them does this) and then check the enabled box next to the node so that it is blue. Rendering with just these settings had no effect on the ultimate aspect ratio. So I went back and adjusted the size node as I did above but this time went to "Tool Shed" and then looked for Video, didn't see any "Aspect Ratio" node, because there is no node with the option for adjusting the aspect ratio. In any node I find that has an aspect ratio sub node all I'm able to check is "enabled" which doesn't seem to have any effect on the output.

TLDR: None of the previous suggestions in this thread have helped me render anything 16:9

Things I know:
1. The TriCaster is in NTSC 16:9 Mode, it says so in the upper right hand corner.
2. My input sources are in 16:9 mode, everything looks great during production and in the edit window. Once rendered it is no longer 16:9
3. The file is not 16:9. According to the program MediaInfo Mac the file coming out of the TriCaster is 640X480 (1.3333) but the display aspect ratio is 16:9. Screen shot of file info: http://i52.tinypic.com/2e19jbb.png
When I upload it to to a video service like blip.tv it displays the image squished 640X480, which is frustrating as the size node under controls appears to have no effect.

Any help would be WONDERFUL
Thank you for your time!!!
-Brad

SBowie
01-24-2011, 11:50 AM
When I upload it to to a video service like blip.tv it displays the image squished 640X480, which is frustrating as the size node under controls appears to have no effect.AFAIK, most online video player services would fail to recognize a proper SD NTSC 16:9 (anamorphic) file. From what I've seen, the Mac sometimes at least displays a 640x480 page size even for an entirely proper SD NTSC 4:3 AVI, so I would worry too much about that matter.

Checkmarking the boxes in SE's Control Tree just enables display for that attribute in the Spline editor. It doesn't actively change anything (not, it seems, that it should in your case).

If your selected service doesn't allow you to manually enter the aspect for an uploaded file, and fails to take the 16:9 flag in the file header into account, you might try to simply 'fool it' by rendering out a 16:9 square pixel version of your clip.

BradB
01-24-2011, 12:20 PM
AFAIK I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, sorry!

most online video player services would fail to recognize a proper SD NTSC 16:9 (anamorphic) file. From what I've seen, the Mac sometimes at least displays a 640x480 page size even for an entirely proper SD NTSC 4:3 AVI, so I would worry too much about that matter. So the TriCaster is rendering what you would consider a "proper" anamorphic 16:9 file? Is there any way I can render the file so that it's not anamorphic and is strictly 16:9 (1.7777778), 720X405 for example?
(also did you mean "wouldn't worry too much"?)

If your selected service doesn't allow you to manually enter the aspect for an uploaded file, and fails to take the 16:9 flag in the file header into account, you might try to simply 'fool it' by rendering out a 16:9 square pixel version of your clip.
Is the pixel shape an option I have when rendering in TriCaster? I'd like to be able to so solve this problem when rendering so that I don't have to use an external program to correct the aspect ratio issue. And no, my experience with blip.tv has show that there is no was to manually force it into a 16:9 ratio.

Thanks, SBowie!

SBowie
01-24-2011, 01:17 PM
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, sorry!Sorrym interent shorthand, not english: AFAIK = "As Far As I Know".

So the TriCaster is rendering what you would consider a "proper" anamorphic 16:9 file?Yes. The resolution of NTSC SD 4:3 and 16:9 are identical. Only the pixel aspect ratio is different.

So the TriCaster is rendering what you would consider a "proper" anamorphic 16:9 file? Is there any way I can render the file so that it's not anamorphic and is strictly 16:9 (1.7777778), 720X405 for example?I don't have a 100 here, but if memory serves, in terms of "Edit Media" it's pretty much identical the TC Studio, which I do have handy. Unlike the TCXD models (which have an integrated version of SpeedEDIT 2 in place of "Edit Media"), your rendering options are pretty limited. I don't see anything in the render preset list ("Render To") that looks like it would deliver a square pixel 16:9 equivalent. :(

If you are a Mac user, as it appears, someone here may be able to suggest a stock (or free) Apple tool - or you might ask blip.tv tech support how you are supposed to supply SD 16:9. I had a quick poke around on their site, and it looks like you might be able to adjust the image aspect in their Player Manager ... or not(I don't have an account so wasn't able to follow this up).

BradB
01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Sorrym interent shorthand, not english: AFAIK = "As Far As I Know".

Yes. The resolution of NTSC SD 4:3 and 16:9 are identical. Only the pixel aspect ratio is different.

I don't have a 100 here, but if memory serves, in terms of "Edit Media" it's pretty much identical the TC Studio, which I do have handy. Unlike the TCXD models (which have an integrated version of SpeedEDIT 2 in place of "Edit Media"), your rendering options are pretty limited. I don't see anything in the render preset list ("Render To") that looks like it would deliver a square pixel 16:9 equivalent. :(

If you are a Mac user, as it appears, someone here may be able to suggest a stock (or free) Apple tool - or you might ask blip.tv tech support how you are supposed to supply SD 16:9. I had a quick poke around on their site, and it looks like you might be able to adjust the image aspect in their Player Manager ... or not(I don't have an account so wasn't able to follow this up).

It's really disappointing that this is so difficult, had I known the TC-100 was so limited I would have considered something else...
I'll poke around on Blip's site to see what options they have, right now I'm using compressor to put it into 16:9 but I'm trying to develop something easier.
*le sigh*

SBowie
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
It's really disappointing that this is so difficult, had I known the TC-100 was so limited I would have considered something else...
I'll poke around on Blip's site to see what options they have, right now I'm using compressor to put it into 16:9 but I'm trying to develop something easier.
*le sigh*Well, I understand the frustration, but really, square pixel 16:9 SD is a relative rarity.

GaryG
02-11-2011, 11:04 PM
*le sigh*

Please remember that the tricaster is a broadcast video product, not designed to produce content for the computer screen. There is no such thing as 16x9 standard definition video other than squashed anamorphic or letterboxed.

'desktop' 16x9 resolutions are a perversion of standard video resolutions, so you won't find them in professional broadcast tools. You will have to use a desktop editing or transcoding package to create videos that play on a computer, OR you can use a media player which has the features to stretch the video to fit the screen.