PDA

View Full Version : LightWave Mac v9.6 Hotfix/Cocoa Update - 31 Aug 2009

Chuck
08-31-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi, Mac 'Wavers! :)

Welcome to this week's progress note on our Mac development activities!

Cocoa/Hotfix LightWave v9.6.x: Our Mac Mac folks put in some quality time with Snow Leopard last week, and they found several compatibility issues with our Cocoa builds. They have already resolved all but one of those, and are working through getting a fix for that for our next beta build. The IT folks are still working on preparing the Registration System for Open Beta, and I will be checking with them on the status of their progress daily.

That's it for this week!

Please Keep Those Bug Reports Coming: Getting in reports on any bugs you may have encountered but not yet reported is very important. Don't forget to include steps and content, as they are needed to insure that we can duplicate your bug properly and get it fixed. For those of you who need a refresher as to how to report bugs, check this link:

Instructions for Bug Report and Feature Request Database (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73227)

PeteS
09-01-2009, 07:19 AM
looking forward to it!

OlaHaldor
09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
I might be a total douche, but is it really that hard to create a registration system? They've been working for weeks with it. I remember back in the "old days of lan-gaming" with a friend of mine, he created a total CMS from scratch in a matter of hours, including user registration and them being able to sign up. He's a PHP freak !

I picture them IT guys you mention, pushing a button every once in a while with a MacTini. Then I can for sure understand it takes a while.. :p

See the MacTini here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noe3kR8KqJc)

jwiede
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM
It does seem a bit extreme that they've been working on the registration system for over a month, and still don't have something they feel they can take live for an open beta.

Limbus
09-02-2009, 02:38 AM
I might be a total douche, but is it really that hard to create a registration system?

My thoughts exactly. How hard can it be to set up a system that was working for years already?

Cheers, Florian

Otterman
09-02-2009, 03:21 AM
I gather its just another thing on the very long Newtek list of things to do. OK, beta release is imminent but I myself will stick with 32bit at work until gold release-its only wise. However even a 64bit beta version right now would come in handy in my pipeline-im always bumping into memory issues when rendering my huge scenes.

Go on Newtek-let us get our greasy mits on it and weed out the bugs

plankton
09-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Will the 64 bt cocoa version be taking advantage of the new CL features in snow leopard as well?

Lightwolf
09-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Will the 64 bt cocoa version be taking advantage of the new CL features in snow leopard as well?
I doubt it. It doesn't make a lot of sense to re-design (and you need no less to support OpenCL) an old app around new tech that is only available for a minority of users at the moment... especially with Core coming up.

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
09-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Right, it makes far more sense to focus on CORE when it comes to adding new technologies. 64-bit & Cocoa are enough in that regard for 9.6.1, I'd hope the rest of the effort is focused on bug fixes (particularly in Modeler).

rsfd
09-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Wouldn't expect much efforts into modeler as the latest CORE video shows - besides the "PDeform" tool - the communication between Layout and CORE, with CORE as a replacement for Modeler.

Chuck
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
It does seem a bit extreme that they've been working on the registration system for over a month, and still don't have something they feel they can take live for an open beta.

While they have been working on the registration system itself for about a month, and expected to get to the Open Beta portion much sooner than they did (and kept estimating they'd get to it in about a week, which I duly kept repeating) they have in fact just this week got to the point of asking me a whole bunch of questions in a couple of emails that they felt they needed clarification on before proceeding. Since the first two rounds of email questions, I haven't heard anything for a couple days, which could mean either that they are working on it, or they are working on more questions. :stumped:

Chuck
09-03-2009, 12:05 PM

That's something we're considering for LightWave CORE.

jwiede
09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
While they have been working on the registration system itself for about a month, and expected to get to the Open Beta portion much sooner than they did (and kept estimating they'd get to it in about a week, which I duly kept repeating) they have in fact just this week got to the point of asking me a whole bunch of questions in a couple of emails that they felt they needed clarification on before proceeding. Since the first two rounds of email questions, I haven't heard anything for a couple days, which could mean either that they are working on it, or they are working on more questions. :stumped:
Thanks Chuck, I really appreciate the honesty.

Any chance you or Jay or someone can get them in a room and get a real completion estimate?

Stability changed significantly for the worse with 9.6UB on OSX10.6. Getting 9.6.1UB into the field, even as an open beta, seems to be the only option for a stable LW among those of us who had to upgrade to 10.6 (needed OpenCL/GCD for app or dev reasons, etc.), or folks who bought a new Mac.

The urgency of 9.6.1 Mac OB just ratcheted up quite a bit, IMO.

Thanks!

Chuck
09-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Chuck, I really appreciate the honesty.

Any chance you or Jay or someone can get them in a room and get a real completion estimate?

Stability changed significantly for the worse with 9.6UB on OSX10.6. Getting 9.6.1UB into the field, even as an open beta, seems to be the only option for a stable LW among those of us who had to upgrade to 10.6 (needed OpenCL/GCD for app or dev reasons, etc.), or folks who bought a new Mac.

The urgency of 9.6.1 Mac OB just ratcheted up quite a bit, IMO.

Thanks!

Agreed on the urgency increasing; and we do have the fixes in for Snow Leopard as of today, subject of course to further testing. MIS did in fact get on the Open Beta case and has made very good progress. I should know by Tuesday's update message when we can expect to commence the Open Beta.

MidGart
08-11-2010, 12:51 AM
It seems that the topic is dead =(

Kuzey
08-11-2010, 06:09 AM
I'm not so sure about that....currently, Newtek seems to be on a two week holiday. I'm sure things will kick back into gear when they get back.

Also, they had siggrah as well, so things might seem like they have come to a standstill for the moment.

Ps...just in case you were talking about these hotfix posts by Chuck, they might have stopped....but the beta builds continue to be released.

Kuzey

4dartist
08-11-2010, 08:38 AM
I'm ready for these interface bugs to be fixed... even in 9.6.