PDA

View Full Version : Disney to buy Marvel

3DBob
08-31-2009, 11:36 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8230504.stm

Just need to merge this with LucasArts and have the lot bought out my MS and well be pretty much sorted.

All that then needs to happen is for this conglomerate to buy AD and Adobe and you wont be able to work in film or media without being a plugin to this companies productions or product....

Mmmm

3DBob

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
how does that effect capcom vrs marvel .gutter , Disney Interactive going to get there hands on that now , notice theres no disney logo on Turok . . give them there due some talented people in that field .

geo_n
08-31-2009, 12:06 PM
That was unexpected. Is marvel losing money to sell out?
I love western comics. Will they have marvel vs seven dwarfs now?

biliousfrog
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

geothefaust
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Seriously??? This is depressing... Literally just today was thinking about diving back into the comic world and catching up on a lot of the missed story arcs, like House of M.

Disney... I hate you.

cresshead
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
are you sure it's not autodesk?...or if you dig into it it MUST have something to do with Autodesk ...right?

..yeah autodesk simply MUST be behind it somewhere..i bet they'll make the comics subscription only!

littlewaves
08-31-2009, 12:36 PM
are you sure it's not autodesk?...or if you dig into it it MUST have something to do with Autodesk ...right?

..yeah autodesk simply MUST be behind it somewhere..i bet they'll make the comics subscription only!

of course they're behind it.

Only an autodesk fanboy like you would try to deny it ;)

littlewaves
08-31-2009, 12:40 PM
Actually isn't Steve Jobs still on the board of directors at Disney?

Maybe all future comics will be iphone download only!

Bog
08-31-2009, 01:25 PM
On the bright side, X-Men on Ice will be great for the kiddies - and the new Iron Man movie will be MUCH better as a musical, I think we can all agree!

OnlineRender
08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=76770&d=1251746703

lol LET the jokes Begin

Bog
08-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Who's the pointy-handed man who's puffing a cigar?
W-O-L-V-E-R-I-N-E
Wolverine!
(Chorus: Wolverine!)
Wolverine!
(Chorus: Wolverine!)

(ad nauseam)

Bog
08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Not mine, but too good to pass up!

adamredwoods
08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
This is a tragedy.

Disney's announcement included remarks that the "younger boy" audience complemented well with their Hanna Montana line. So basically, they will keep their characters blan in order to market to that audience effectively and not upset parents.

Say goodbye to Marvel, older male audience-- it's not for you anymore, just kids.

evenflcw
08-31-2009, 02:42 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !
+1

Bog
08-31-2009, 03:07 PM
This is a tragedy.

Disney's announcement included remarks that the "younger boy" audience complemented well with their Hanna Montana line. So basically, they will keep their characters blan in order to market to that audience effectively and not upset parents.

Say goodbye to Marvel, older male audience-- it's not for you anymore, just kids.

Remember - Wolverine only uses the side of his claws to knock people out - never to carve them into Chum. Also, the X-Jet runs on bio-gas.

I laugh, because otherwise I'd cry.

gatz
09-01-2009, 12:49 AM
So, the movies will continue to suck, that's a given. Fox has license to the FF, X-Men and DD. As long as they exercise their options those properties are boned. Sony is grinding Spidey into dust. I don't know if they have the same deal as Fox, but if SM 3 was any indication, I think the franchise is heading to its "Battle for the Planet of Apes" moment.

Disney will only have B list characters or A list properties without the characters. Maybe New Mutants, but don't mention Xavier, Avengers without Iron Man, Defenders with no Hulk or Silver Surfer... you get the idea. Marvel hosed itself by destroying the chance to cultivate the sense of continuity that their universe thrives on.

Now, imagine Disney had access to all of the character they've purchased. Can you imagine they would produce a ball busting Ultimates movie? I can't even imagine Millar or Ellis being given free reign with the print adventures anymore. My fear is that the same thing that happen to the Looney Tune characters will happen to the Marvel universe. They will be considered priceless commodities that can't be used without an army of marketing weasels having there input.

DiedonD
09-01-2009, 06:11 AM
I tell ya... In the end, EVERYTHING will be owned by the Coca Cola company! :D

And then were ******! Cause everything will be in red, and only bad guys that end up having nothing, thus are ZERO, would be black!

Hmm... on a twisted side its nice when you come to think of it actually! Red and Black (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_flag) Hurray!

manholoz
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Let's just hope Disney or Autodesk of Microsoft or Adobe never touch the manga publishers. That would spell the end of the world.

Dexter2999
09-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Avi Arad has like 23 movies listed as being in Pre-produciton. MANY are Marvel characters, I believe to search for funding he has to have them already optioned at least.

I'm sure Disney will be working on how to renegotiate merchandise rights and home video distribution.

JamesCurtis
09-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Stan!!!!! Are you selling out?

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!

OnlineRender
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
"ye HIGH SCHOOL the musical " starring the HULK

Dexter2999
09-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Or would that be "Xavier's High School Musical for the Gifted"?

On a more "serious" note, if I understand correctly, Avi Arad has been largely responsible for the huge string of Marvel success stories. Conversly, Marvel internal production churns out stuff like WHO WANTS TO BE A SUPERHERO or STAN LEE'S: HARPIES (on Sci Fi).

shrox
09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
The company I work for now, Quest Aerospace, was owned by Marvel for a few years so they could use the name "Quest Aerospace" in the first Spiderman film. I just narrowly escaped Disneyfication.

bobakabob
09-02-2009, 04:18 PM
The Incredibles was Fantastic Four. Much better than those rubbish films featuring a man in a rubber Thing suit.